ogre or ogar

  • Waligura, Charles
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2002

      Are we talking about ogre or ogar.  The Webster English has

      Main Entry: ogre

      Pronunciation: o-ger

      Function: noun

      1 : a monster of fairy tales and folklore that eats people

      2 : a dreaded person or object

      Charles L. Waligura

      Researching Valigura, Waligura, Krenek, Kramer, Kuban , Petr, Peter

    • John L. Mikeska
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2002
        Charles,

        It is obvious they are talking about Ogar, which evidently means 'boy' in Moravian (?) dialect.  Now your definition of Oger certainly does not apply to any of us Czech/Moravian boys.  We are all polite, nice, and never would do any teasing or pull pranks to have the definition Oger put on us, would we?????  <G>

        Sir Jan

      • Ekor8@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2002
          >> means "boy" in Moravian (?) dialect.<<

          Yes, you are right. ogar = boy , ogari = boys , cerecka = girl , cerecky = girls

                                                                                                     cerecka Eva   :))))
        • richardkotrla
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2002
            Sir John/Jan:

            Even us good Czech boys can be ogres sometimes, including
            you and me!!!

            Richard

            --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "John L. Mikeska" <jlmikeska@y...>