Butter Churning--Procedure

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
      Hi Sir John,

      I thought to myself, why not check the WWW. I have found so much other useful information there. So I did and I found step-by step instructions on a Gifted and Talented Education site. The full URL is at the bottom of this message. They have info on spinning too.

      Sir John,

      I do have the mechanical gear and wheel-driven butter churn. However, the glass jar base was broken years ago. The churn will need to be sanded and repainted. I think I can get my son to do this for us.

      Does anyone have an idea where to get a glass jar of an old butter churn?

      Butter Churning

      The objective of this lesson is to taste freshly made butter and to make butter from cream as the pioneers would have done.
      You will need a churn; 2 cups of fresh whipping cream which has sat in a cool place about three days; dash of salt; a bowl; and a spoon.

      Pioneers used a wooden butter churn with a wooden dasher. If a small churn is unavailable, a glass one may still be purchased from Sears or Wards farm catalogs. A quart jar can also be used, as is, or converted to a churn. The dasher is made by nailing two flat, crossed sticks on the bottom of a dowel. A hole the size of the dowel's diameter is made in the cover of the jar.

      Procedure:

      1. Put the cream in the churn and work the dasher up and down (or shake the jar) for 20 minutes or more. First the cream will froth like whipped cream, then it will "break" (turn into a curdly mess). Finally, it will "gather" and small lumps of butter will form.

      2. As the lumps begin to gather remove the butter and put it in a bowl. The buttermilk is poured out and may be drunk. The butter is squeezed with the back of a spoon to remove the excess water.

      3. A dash of salt may be added if desired.
      Taste great on warm homemade bread.

      http://clx.fssc.k12.ar.us/darby/crafts.htm#butter%20churning

    • John L. Mikeska
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
        Susan,

        Great job finding the info on butter churning.  Now me, I'd have to look up 'whipping cream' to determine what it is, where to get it, how to make it, whatever.  Don't think grandmother jumped on the horse and trotted to the grocery store to get some!

        Someone made a comment of having a butter churn as you have recently on the list, I believe.  Bet there is a butter churn jar somewhere waiting to be snapped up by someone like us!  But where.  If I was in Austin, would jump  in the car (remembering hearing that term?) and go to a store on the west side, can't remember the name of it, but had lot of 'out of date/production items.

        Sir John

      • Cindy Harvey
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
          Susan, I just found a replacement jar listed for $14.95 at
          http://www.caprinesupply.com/shop/new_products.html
          It says it's for their churn, but it does show a picture of the churn, and
          says "Square jar holds 4 quarts and churns 2-1/2 quarts of cream. 15-1/2”
          high, 4-1/2 lbs."

          Cindy

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
            This looks like an even better site for replacements, and all other butter making accessories.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
              Cindy,

              See what I mean?  You're too good as the webmaster to even think of putting/adding another person there!

              Now Susan, if you find a jar that will fit, I'll go in on the cost if you find one that will fit.  Two of us to split the cost, I'll go 50%, if more want to help, will make it less per person, and maybe more pats of butter if we ever make some at a meeting and have warm kolaches/bread to put the mouth watering butter on!  Gosh, I can almost smell a fresh load of baked bread now.

              Sir Jan

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
                >Susan, I just found a replacement jar listed for $14.95 at
                http://www.caprinesupply.com/shop/new_products.html
                It says it's for their churn, but it does show a picture of the churn, and
                says "Square jar holds 4 quarts and churns 2-1/2 quarts of cream. 15-1/2”
                high, 4-1/2 lbs."

                Thanks Cindy,

                DOUBLE BLUSH. I order medications and vet supplies all the time.

                Susan