Re: [TexasCzechs] South Texas Farming--More

  • Mary Holy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
      Susan
      Yes , cotton farming has changed a lot in the past year.  Those big compactors are called Module Builders.  They sure beat having to toss that cotton back and pack it.  Plus saves a lot in labor and time.  Tire flats and other problems.
      As for the Boll Weevil Eradication program,  we are in one of those zones.  We voted for it.  The cotton farmers have lost millions in dollars from the boll weevil.  It only takes one puncture hole from a weevil to completely destroy, that single boll.  It doesn't take very many to do a lot of damage to a cotton crop.  We have had to spray a lot to try and control the boll weevil, before this program came into effect.  We would like to eradicate them completely.  There is some places that are completely eradicated in Texas and other states.  It would be less spraying and a big savings to the farmer.
      Now if you are having problems with being notified, before they spray.  You send the BWE guys and the farmer that you are living next to,  a certified letter, stating that you would like to be notified 24 hours in advance.  You have to do this every year.  If they do not notify you, you have the right to notify the Texas Department of Agriculture.  I should now, because we have one neighbor that does this to us, but the letter has to be sent every year certified.  If we don't inform, she has a right to call the TDA on us.  Just some of the rules and regulations on spraying that ever farmer has to follow.
      We use both cotton strippers on dryland cotton and cotton pickers on irrigated cotton.
      My husband and his three brothers raise close to  3500 acres of cotton a year.  It is a long harvest.
      Mary (Soukup) Holy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
        >Now if you are having problems with being notified, before they spray.  You send the BWE guys and the farmer that you are living next to,  a certified letter, stating that you would like to be notified 24 hours in advance.  You have to do this every year.  If they do not notify you, you have the right to notify the Texas Department of Agriculture.<

        Hi Mary,

        I was wondering if you would have any comments since I know that you farm (grin).

        As I said, things have really changed as far as the BWE folks being public oriented.  Our problems are always when the supervisor is ill or something such as that.  After the fields had to be sprayed a second day in a row (due to rain), the crop duster pilot called me and introduced himself. He said that he would notify me 24-hours in advance of any aerial application up wind from our house. He also said he would forward my name and phone number to the other pilots/firms that spray in our area so that they could notify me when they are going to spray.

        And, yep, I know that the compactors are called. If things work out right, I'll try to capture the cotton harvest with the digital camera.  I might even write about "spontaneous combustion."

        Mary, it was good to hear from you. Are you all as dry as we are?

        Susan