TCHCC May Fest Planning--Help Wanted!

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
      >Demonstration Ideas:  Jelly making; arts & crafts (sad to say, I'm not sure what arts & crafts exactly are Czech in origin, but maybe there are others out there who know!), blacksmithing, soap-making, a Czech wedding or other party, butter churning, classroom where Czech students learn
      about their new country and learn English, making sauerkraut or pickles, wine-making from wild Texas mustang grapes.  Any Czech glass-blowers out there?  Docents at each demo would perform the demo or act out the
      scenario being represented...<

      Hi Anita,

      Thanks for the ideas. I have printed out your response and added it to my Project File for reference purposes. And, thank you for volunteering to help with the kolaches.

      But, the real problem is finding folks who will actually come and do these things. Now I know that some of the other Czech-related festivities in Texas have some activities such as this. That is why I am asking folks to help me collect names and contact numbers for the individuals who undertake demonstrations and cultural exhibits AS WELL AS VOLUNTEERS TO UNDERTAKE DEMONSTRATION.

      I will try to visit other festivals and make contacts myself; however, if people on this list would help, more could be accomplished.

      Susan
      "Life is too short not to live it as a Texas Czech."

    • Anita Berka
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
        Susan,

        Those suggestions were just the 'first wave'. I'll check with the
        Burleson County folks next time I'm there to see if they have any names
        and will forward to you.

        Anita Berka
      • John L. Mikeska
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
          Anita,

          You talk about Volunteering!!!  Wow, you should be the Volunteer Webmaster or whatever for the CHS!!!  Now, I am sure you are up at the top of list making kolaches (gotta be careful not to hurt any other feelings <G>) but if you happened to do any practicing on a few batches, send some to me and I'll guarantee you'll get an A+!  <G>

          You mentioned butter churning in a previous message.  Know anyone that will be in Ennis Aug 3rd that might demonstrate butter making, or maybe a talk on how to formulate, etc.  Frank Mikula commented it would be great to have this, but the feelers I've put out has brought naught in reply <G>

          Hope you will be in Ennis - will meet you if you are.

          Sir John
          Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] TCHCC May Fest Planning--Help Wanted!

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002

            Okay folks, I stepped forward again.

            My Dad had a sign posted in his office that read, "If it is to be, it up to me!"

            Susan,

            I like that - never heard it.

            The ElectronicCzechs will surely be at La Grange, or at least I will be
            if the Lord is willing.  Sir John
          • Anita Berka
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
              Sir John,

              Everyone I know who's into butter churning is out in West Texas
              unfortunately, but I can check and let you know if any of those folks
              are interested. I'll check with the Burleson county folks too when I'm
              there next weekend - maybe they know someone. I don't even know anyone
              down here who has an old churn.j

              Anita Berka

              P.S. Will let you know about those "test batches" of kolaches. :-)
            • Anita Berka
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                Yes Cindy, rest assured! Your "job" is in no jeopardy from little ole
                me! I can do a lot of things on the computer, but I don't think I'm
                quite up to "webmaster" - keymaster, maybe (as in hitting the keyboard
                and entering data). :-)

                Anita
              • John L. Mikeska
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                  Anita,

                  Thanks for offering to check for someone who might be interested.  I feel it will be some trouble to get a churn set up, mixture made, etc.

                  I'm from San Angelo, which is considered West Texas.  Believe Concho County CHS is having festival this coming Sat in Rowena, TX, which is between San Angelo and Ballinger.  Wish I could attend it but a little far for a days drive.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                    Yes, Anita would be great at my job, but I don't think she has time, with all her other volunteering!

                    Cindy Harvey
                    Webmaster (volunteer), CHS

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                      Visited the Wesley Church and Cemetery saturday
                      afternoon...the historic original church was
                      closed...according to info I had gotten priviously,
                      the church was now a historic museum and supposed to
                      be open to the public 9-5pm 7 days a week...does
                      anyone know why it was closed...visited the graves of
                      some of my Czech relatives who are buried there. Also
                      visited the National cemetery near Nelsonville where
                      other relatives are buried...hope you'al will have a
                      great week...Frank Payne ( Slovak, Stepan, Gerhart,
                      Tomanec )

                      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                    • John L. Mikeska
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                        No No No!

                        Oh gosh, Sir John got the Foot in Mouth problem again!

                        Cindy, I was not indicating Anita take over the webmaster of CHS in any way.  Just meant that she seems to have a good hand on volunteering of people she would be a good source of volunteers for whatever job was needed.  I used 'webmaster in the wrong sense.  Sorry.

                        Cindy, you're doing a excellent job.  You can't get out of it, if we have any say-so!

                        Sir Jan

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                          Anita and Cindy:

                          Everybody's help is needed in preserving our heritage. And
                          Cindy, we are all greatful for what you do as webmatser, and as I
                          understand it, it's a job for life. And Anita, thanks for all your
                          interest in preserving our heritage.

                          Richard