Re: [TexasCzechs] TCHCC May Fest Planning--Help Wanted!

  • Anita Berka
    Message 1 of 14 , May 30, 2002
      Sign me up Susan!

      Demonstration Ideas: Jelly making; arts & crafts (sad to say, I'm not
      sure what arts & crafts exactly are Czech in origin, but maybe there are
      others out there who know!), blacksmithing, soap-making, a Czech wedding
      or other party, butter churning, classroom where Czech students learn
      about their new country and learn English, making sauerkraut or pickles,
      wine-making from wild Texas mustang grapes. Any Czech glass-blowers out
      there? Docents at each demo would perform the demo or act out the
      scenario being represented.

      Displays: 1) area for geneology researching similar to what the Czech
      Heritage Society did at the Kolache Festival in Caldwell last year; (2)
      period clothing - both everyday and special event clothing, (3)Czech
      organizations like SPJST, TCHCC, (4) try to get representatives from
      county Czech Heritage Societies, (5) farm and household tools, (6) early
      school texts or other books used in teaching, (6) Czech-language media -
      prayer books, texts or newspapers. Docents at displays would explain
      how the immigrants and 1st generation Czech families lived and learned.

      And, last but not least, I am more than willing to bake kolaches to sell
      as a fund-raiser. Perhaps others will volunteer too.

      Anita Berka

      > Susan Rektorik Henley wrote:
      >
      > Okay folks, I stepped forward again.
      >
      > My Dad had a sign posted in his office that read, "If it is to be, it
      > up to me!"
      >
      > I follow that credo as best as I can. BUT, this time, I need help.

    • Susan Rektorik Henley
      Message 2 of 14 , May 30, 2002
        Okay folks, I stepped forward again.

        My Dad had a sign posted in his office that read, "If it is to be, it up to me!"

        I follow that credo as best as I can. BUT, this time, I need help.

        I have volunteered (and the offer has been accepted) to coordinate the Exhibits and Demonstrations for 2003 May Fest at the Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center (TCHCC). I am starting the ground work now.

        With around 300 Texas Czechs on this mailing list, you all are a fine resource pool. I am asking you all to:

        1. Suggest what type of cultural exhibits and demonstrations you would like to see at the next May Fest;

        2. Provide me with names, addresses, phone numbers, and/or e-mail addresses of folks or organizations who undertake Czech-related (Farm-life too) demonstrations and exhibits; and

        3. Start contemplating what you, yourself, can do to be part of the next May Fest.

        (I would love to have the "Electronic Czechs" there with a booth and a computer, etc.)

        You can respond to me privately at srektorik@... .

        And, I want to let you all know that the fall Czech Heritage Day at the TCHCC is tentatively planned for October 12, 2002.  The TCHCC Board will soon determine the agenda for this festival but it is likely to be different from the spring event.  As soon as the details are firmed up, I will be sharing information on that project.

        Susan
      • richardkotrla
        Message 3 of 14 , May 30, 2002
          Thanks for being som committed Susan, and I will e-mail you privately
          about both events.

          Richard

          --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Susan Rektorik Henley" <srektorik@h...>

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1 5:53 AM
            >Demonstration Ideas:  Jelly making; arts & crafts (sad to say, I'm not sure what arts & crafts exactly are Czech in origin, but maybe there are others out there who know!), blacksmithing, soap-making, a Czech wedding or other party, butter churning, classroom where Czech students learn
            about their new country and learn English, making sauerkraut or pickles, wine-making from wild Texas mustang grapes.  Any Czech glass-blowers out there?  Docents at each demo would perform the demo or act out the
            scenario being represented...<

            Hi Anita,

            Thanks for the ideas. I have printed out your response and added it to my Project File for reference purposes. And, thank you for volunteering to help with the kolaches.

            But, the real problem is finding folks who will actually come and do these things. Now I know that some of the other Czech-related festivities in Texas have some activities such as this. That is why I am asking folks to help me collect names and contact numbers for the individuals who undertake demonstrations and cultural exhibits AS WELL AS VOLUNTEERS TO UNDERTAKE DEMONSTRATION.

            I will try to visit other festivals and make contacts myself; however, if people on this list would help, more could be accomplished.

            Susan
            "Life is too short not to live it as a Texas Czech."

          • Anita Berka
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2 4:07 AM
              Susan,

              Those suggestions were just the 'first wave'. I'll check with the
              Burleson County folks next time I'm there to see if they have any names
              and will forward to you.

              Anita Berka
            • John L. Mikeska
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2 11:30 AM
                Anita,

                You talk about Volunteering!!!  Wow, you should be the Volunteer Webmaster or whatever for the CHS!!!  Now, I am sure you are up at the top of list making kolaches (gotta be careful not to hurt any other feelings <G>) but if you happened to do any practicing on a few batches, send some to me and I'll guarantee you'll get an A+!  <G>

                You mentioned butter churning in a previous message.  Know anyone that will be in Ennis Aug 3rd that might demonstrate butter making, or maybe a talk on how to formulate, etc.  Frank Mikula commented it would be great to have this, but the feelers I've put out has brought naught in reply <G>

                Hope you will be in Ennis - will meet you if you are.

                Sir John
                Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] TCHCC May Fest Planning--Help Wanted!

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2 11:36 AM

                  Okay folks, I stepped forward again.

                  My Dad had a sign posted in his office that read, "If it is to be, it up to me!"

                  Susan,

                  I like that - never heard it.

                  The ElectronicCzechs will surely be at La Grange, or at least I will be
                  if the Lord is willing.  Sir John
                • Anita Berka
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2 1:26 PM
                    Sir John,

                    Everyone I know who's into butter churning is out in West Texas
                    unfortunately, but I can check and let you know if any of those folks
                    are interested. I'll check with the Burleson county folks too when I'm
                    there next weekend - maybe they know someone. I don't even know anyone
                    down here who has an old churn.j

                    Anita Berka

                    P.S. Will let you know about those "test batches" of kolaches. :-)
                  • Anita Berka
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2 5:18 PM
                      Yes Cindy, rest assured! Your "job" is in no jeopardy from little ole
                      me! I can do a lot of things on the computer, but I don't think I'm
                      quite up to "webmaster" - keymaster, maybe (as in hitting the keyboard
                      and entering data). :-)

                      Anita
                    • John L. Mikeska
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2 9:41 PM
                        Anita,

                        Thanks for offering to check for someone who might be interested.  I feel it will be some trouble to get a churn set up, mixture made, etc.

                        I'm from San Angelo, which is considered West Texas.  Believe Concho County CHS is having festival this coming Sat in Rowena, TX, which is between San Angelo and Ballinger.  Wish I could attend it but a little far for a days drive.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 3 6:08 AM
                          Yes, Anita would be great at my job, but I don't think she has time, with all her other volunteering!

                          Cindy Harvey
                          Webmaster (volunteer), CHS

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3 7:03 AM
                            Visited the Wesley Church and Cemetery saturday
                            afternoon...the historic original church was
                            closed...according to info I had gotten priviously,
                            the church was now a historic museum and supposed to
                            be open to the public 9-5pm 7 days a week...does
                            anyone know why it was closed...visited the graves of
                            some of my Czech relatives who are buried there. Also
                            visited the National cemetery near Nelsonville where
                            other relatives are buried...hope you'al will have a
                            great week...Frank Payne ( Slovak, Stepan, Gerhart,
                            Tomanec )

                            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                          • John L. Mikeska
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 3 7:42 AM
                              No No No!

                              Oh gosh, Sir John got the Foot in Mouth problem again!

                              Cindy, I was not indicating Anita take over the webmaster of CHS in any way.  Just meant that she seems to have a good hand on volunteering of people she would be a good source of volunteers for whatever job was needed.  I used 'webmaster in the wrong sense.  Sorry.

                              Cindy, you're doing a excellent job.  You can't get out of it, if we have any say-so!

                              Sir Jan

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 3 8:00 PM
                                Anita and Cindy:

                                Everybody's help is needed in preserving our heritage. And
                                Cindy, we are all greatful for what you do as webmatser, and as I
                                understand it, it's a job for life. And Anita, thanks for all your
                                interest in preserving our heritage.

                                Richard