Kolaches

  • Wendy and Greg
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 12, 2000
      This is a recipe my late Granny Bohac used to make her kolaches. Of course
      she made them for years so never even used the recipe anymore. I made some
      notations on things that have helped me. Also a few months ago other Texas
      Czechs subscribers sent me some fruit filling recipes so I have attached
      those also. This makes about 3.5 dozen kolaches. I also use this recipe to
      make about 4 of the large jelly-roll type poppyseed rolls. It is in a text
      file so any word processing document should open it without any problems.

      Enjoy!

      Wendy Bartek Wittenbrook
      wengreg@...
    • srektorik
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 27, 2000
        Dear Sondra and other Friend on the list,

         Although I know what I am going to share is not exactly what was requested about "kolaché", it is what I have at hand.  I am sharing it with the list in hopes that it will encourage others to contribute.

        1. A publication by the University of Texas, institute for Texan Cultures at San Antonio states:

        The Czech people are famous for their pastries, one of which is the Kolaché...the fillings--poppyseed, pineapple, apricot, cottage cheese are prepared before baking.  No one uses a recipe.  Kolachés are made from a formula handed down from generation to generation in Czech families;"

        2.  From my sister, Patricia Rektorik Sprinkle, I have the following linguistic information:

          In the Czech language, one (of these pastries) is called a Kolač:  the hacek, the little "v" over the last letter makes the sound of the English "ch"...Kolach.  The plural--we say Kolaches in English which is Kolaché in Czech.

        According to some sources, the word Kolač is related to a word meaning "pocket" describing the way the fillings are tucked into the middle of a sweet roll.  My Czech dictionary defines Kolač as "the national sweet bread."

        The most popular fillings, when I was growing up, were poppyseed--mach (pronounced like "mock") to make Makóvey Kolaché and prune--Slive to make Slivóvey Kolaché.

        3.  Additional information the fillings  was obtained by my daughter when she did a family survey:

        Poppyseed and prune were the most commonly used kolaché fillings used.  Cottage cheese was the favorite filling of one cousin.  One branch of the family used apricot, peach and plum which they grew in their orchard.  A distant cousin from Moravia used cherries and dewberries.

        It seems likely that there were common sense reasons why these fillings were used.  Kolaché have been made for a very long time so the traditional fillings are ones which may be easily obtained or could be stored for an extended period of time.  Sister Aline Hrncir shared that "people grew poppyseed in their gardens, made cottage cheese from their own dairy products, and had peaches, apricots and plums from their orchards."  Prunes and poppyseed could be stored indefinitely and were widely used by my Grandmother in the early 1990's when the area in which she lived was sparsely settled;

        4.  In my daughter's survey, she asked folks to list the occasions on which they remembered kolaches being made.  The responses were:

        A.  Christmas, Birthdays, and any big get together;

        B.  My mother baked them for family parties and reunions;

        C.  Sunday mornings during the cool part of the year and before family gatherings;

        D.  Almost every Sunday and whenever the family got together;

        E.  Usually every Sunday;

        F.  Most Sunday mornings in the winter, but for every family gathering, no matter what time of the year;

        G.  Whenever Grandma felt like it; and

        H.  Kolaches were made for special occasions such as Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I also remember them more from the winter than in the summer.  Perhaps the addition of a hot oven in the summer was not a welcome addition to the temperature.  Anyway, it seemed that we had kolaches when the cook was ready to make them.

        The Survey questions asked by my daughter were:

        1.  When you were growing up, who do you remember making kolaches?

        2.  When were kolaches made?  Were there special occasions?

        3.  What was the most common fillings used?

        4.  Why do you think these fillings were used?

        5.  Did you ever make kolaches?

        6.  Do you have a favorite story about kolaches?

        If the responses to any of these questions would help your daughter on her project, let me know.  I will share the responses which we have.

        I will also send a separate message about winnowing the poppyseed.

        I hope this helps!

        Susan Rektorik Henley

      • J.D.K. Chipps
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 28, 2000
          > srektorik wrote:

          > 6. Do you have a favorite story about kolaches?

          I have one funny story, on myself, about kolaches.

          When I joined the Navy, and was stationed in Hawaii, and I really missed
          my grandmothers kolaches, so I wrote her and asked her for a recipe, and
          has been already noted, there are no recipes. But she did manage to
          find one in Vesnik and sent it to me.

          Well, I'm not a cook, but I decided to try, and I whipped up all the
          ingredients, and got ready to put the dough on the cookie sheet, but
          when I put the amount that the recipe called for, it looked way too
          small, so I added more until it was about the size of my grandmothers
          kolaches.

          Needless to say, when I baked them, and they rose, they were about the
          size of dinner plates.

          It was pretty funny, and my grandmother had a good laugh at my baking
          skills!
        • phydo35@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 30, 2000
            That information on the "Kolache" was very interesting. Now, I would enjoy
            the various recipes that may be had....any from the old country and those
            that may have been altered down the line. My grandmother and mother made them
            and somehow I, regretfully, never ended up with their recipe.
            Many thanks for anyone sending in their recipes.
            Barbara Swoboda

            (Phydo35)
          • SUGAREK%BILBO@uthscsa.edu
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 30, 2000
              Here is a copy of my grandmother's kolach recipe which was passed down from her
              mother. There is also a short description of my grandmother...a wonderful
              woman. By the way, are there any other Holik or Masik decendents out there?
              "MAMA'S KOLACHES"
              Anna Teresa Holik Sugarek

              4 cups warm milk
              3/4 cup shortening
              1 cup sugar
              Mix all together then add:
              1 package of dry yeast (or to rise quicker use 2 packages of dry yeast
              or the sa
              me amount of Fleischman's yeast) dissolved in some warm water
              Add enough flour to make a medium sponge. Set aside until doubled in
              bulk. The
              n add 2 teaspoons of salt and enough flour to make dough thick enough to handle
              n a knead board (but not too thick, the thinner the dough the lighter the
              kolache
              s). Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk again. Then work down and
              pi
              nch off pieces the size you want. Let sit a few minutes, then spread out to
              the
              size of biscuits with depressions in the center. Fill the depressions with
              fruit
              , preserves, cinnamon and sugar with a pinch of flour or poppy seed! Let them
              ri
              se again, Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar (grease between each
              one
              ). Bake at 350 degrees until brown.

              POPPY SEED FILLING

              2 cups poppy seed (measure whole then grind
              finely)
              1 1/2 cups sugar
              2 tablespoons syrup
              1 whole egg or 2 yolks
              1 cup milk or cream

              Boil until thick

              Anna Holik Sugarek
              Anna Holik Sugarek was born in Caldwell, Texas on January 31, 1889 to
              Josef J. a
              nd Teresa Wunderlick Holik. The youngest girl of 7 children she was a first
              gene
              ration American on her father's side. Having been born in Moravia in 1860 her
              fa
              ther had celebrated his first birthday on the boat coming to this country. He
              la
              ter was a store keeper in Caldwell. She graduated from Caldwell High School in
              1
              908 and later graduated from North Texas State Normal (now North Texas State
              Univ
              ersity) going on to teach school in Caldwell and later in Bee County, Texas.
              In
              1918 she married Charles H. Sugarek and moved to a farm in Beeville, Texas
              where
              she was a teacher, homemaker, mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
              Althou
              gh the majority of her life was spent in the Beeville area, we in her family
              knew
              that a large part of her heart remained in Caldwell. She was an independent
              min
              ded woman and although quite Victorian in her manner, a woman who was centuries
              head of her time. She believed strongly in education and once when commenting
              on
              the happiest days of her life said:
              "When you ask many women what the happiest day of their life was they will tell
              ou it was the day they got married or the day their children were born. Those
              da
              ys were happy, but the happiest day of my life was the day I graduated from
              colle
              ge."
              Throughout her 95 years she touched and taught many people. She held
              strongly
              to her Christian faith. She believed in using the mind God gave her and
              encourag
              ed her family to do likewise. On the day before her death she told her
              granddaug
              hter that she was going to die and felt that in death she would miss her family
              ut added "It's not so bad to die when you're a Christian. Please pray for those
              ho will die that aren't Christians."
              For those of us who knew and loved her she truly was a gift and an
              excellent exa
              mple of the type of people we of Czech decent can ddaughter)

              (The above kolache recipe was passed down from Anna Sugarek's mother, Teresa
              Holi
              k. Mrs Holik was the granddaughter of Josef Masek, the first Czech teacher in
              th
              e United States. Anna Sugarek's father, Josef J. Holik was the second
              president
              of the SPJST and the story of his family's arrival is found in the book, "Czech
              ioneers of the Southwest".)
            • phydo35@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 30, 2000
                In a message dated 11/30/00 12:47:26 PM Central Standard Time,
                SUGAREK%BILBO@... writes:

                SUGAREK%BILBO@...

                Thank you so much for the recipe. And, I found your background history very
                interesting too.
                BSwoboda

                (Phydo35)
              • Paula Gilbert
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 4, 2000
                  I submitted my mother's recipe for Kolaches & fillings in message
                  1401 in the texasczechs egroup archives.

                  Paula Musil Gilbert

                • phydo35@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 5, 2000
                    Thanks for submitting the info on where to find your Kolache recipe.
                    If there are any others out there that would share theirs or their ancestors'
                    recipes for
                    Kolaches, I would be very grateful.
                    Thank you,
                    BSwoboda
                    (Phydo35)
                  • Alphonse Polansky
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 10, 2001
                      When we were in the CZR last summer we ate a lot of kolaches and they seem to be darker and more dry then the ones we get here. Maybe the flour they use is courser. They were smaller and did not seem to rise as much as the ones we make. They were made the same no matter where we ate them. Kay P.
                    • Kathy Horak Smith
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 12 9:51 AM
                        Sir John,
                        Since you weren't able to come to the meeting, I got your prune, apricot and poppyseed Kolaches that Lois brought to the meeting.   Yum Yum!!!!  I truly hope you're feeling better.

                        Kathy
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 13 12:50 PM
                          you sure know how to rub it in!  ;-)
                          Since you weren't able to come to the meeting, I got your prune, apricot and poppyseed Kolaches that Lois brought to the meeting.   Yum Yum!!!!  I truly hope you're feeling better.

                          Kathy
                          Glad to see the start of the show has the computer online and
                          ready for talking with members,

                          I would appreciate a cup of coffee, one sweetener, and two
                          kolaches, prune and apricot.  Can I get this this morning, or do
                          I have to wait?  I am a big tipper, remember.

                          Sir John

                        • Kotrla, Richard (RJ)
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 19, 2001
                            Dan and Bea:

                            Thanks so much for your contribution and history lesson the bakery.

                            Our thoughts are with you concerning your father.

                            And as time passes, some of our favorite places come and go and the way they
                            were operated years ago, is not the way business is done today. Sad, but
                            true.

                            Richard

                            Are still trying to keep up with reading the email but my Dad has gotten
                            very ill and we had no choice but to place him in a nursing home after
                            several weeks of hospitalization so haven't been keeping up really well.

                            Your question about good kolaches. This may not be anything you can use
                            but in our area really good kolaches can be purchased at Weikel's Store
                            and Bakery across from McDonald's where Business Hwy 71 West intersects
                            with the Hwy 71 Bypass near where the Colorado River flows through La
                            Grange. These kolaches are mass produced and a little "old" Czech lady
                            has nothing to do with the production of the finished product. The
                            kolaches are very good though and there are may varieties and they sell
                            many, many kolaches. Here in La Grange the Weikel family owned the Bon
                            Ton Cafe for many years and served really good food cooked by little
                            Czech and German ladies but that time has passed in our history and
                            after going through numerous "new" owners and some "chckered" times, the
                            Bon Ton Cafe is no longer. This Weikel's Store and Bakery though is
                            still owned by a member of the family that owned the original cafe and
                            has been in business for quite a few years (guessing perhaps around
                            15). The have a goldmine there in that their location is such that it
                            catches the Houston to Austin traffic that comes via the I10 and Highway
                            71 route.

                            This may not be anything in the way of the information that you want.
                            Keep up the good work.

                            Blessings,

                            Bea and Dan Rost
                          • salvarez
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 7, 2001
                              Kolaches!!!

                              The best place I know to get good Kolaches is my Moms house.
                              Hee Hee

                              I really don't know of any other place to go which has good
                              Kolaches. Since and it is the truth, I just call up Mom.

                              Posting from Work
                              Steve

                            • Bettye Bowerman
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 27, 2002
                                Hi all,
                                My husband lost his mom's kolache recipe. Would someone please share theirs
                                with us. Thanks in advance.

                                Bettye Looney Bowerman

                                Bethea, Rogers, Knighton, Sample, Looney
                                Hudson, Golden, Miller
                                Cochran, Covington, Malone, Pockrus
                                Prothro, Smith
                                Tupa, Brosch, Rybak
                                Bowerman, Coxie
                              • Matt
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 31, 2002
                                  All of this talk about kolaches is making me hungry for them and
                                  there's still a month till Thanksgiving when my grandmother makes her
                                  first batch of the holidays...I usually help her make them, too --
                                  along with the other pastries (cheese and poppyseed rolls, fruit
                                  rolls, etc.)

                                  Matt
                                • Sara Ann Barton
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 11, 2012

                                    Lukas Bakery 135 N. Main St. 979-968-3052 in on the square, across from the Courthouse, next to Colorado Valley Bank
                                    Sara Barton

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 11 8:44 AM

                                      I live in the best kolache town on earth – Ellinger.  My house is 1 minute away from Hruska’s Store and great kolaches.  Although many claim the recipe as theirs, I know it is my deceased brother-in-law’s Czech mother’s recipe.  So far, I  have calculated that each kolache I eat adds another pound to my frame.  So I can only indulge occasionally.

                                      Life doesn’t get any better than this.

                                      Rosemary

                                    • R E Davis
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 11 9:17 AM
                                        Yes ma'am, you do!!!

                                        Was your brother-in-law a Zaskoda? Because I have always said that
                                        Hruska’s recipe was my adoptive mother's family recipe.
                                      • R E Davis
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 11 10:04 AM
                                          Oops. That was meant for Rosemary Ermis, not the entire group.

                                          Never hit Reply All. Never hit Reply All.

                                          On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM, R E Davis <r.elise.d@...> wrote:
                                          > Yes ma'am, you do!!!
                                          >
                                          > Was your brother-in-law a Zaskoda? Because I have always said that
                                          > Hruska’s recipe was my adoptive mother's family recipe.
                                        • Cindy Neal
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 11 11:06 AM
                                            I have to agree with Rosemary.  I was afraid they would lose something with the “new” bakery/store, but they’re every bit as good as ever Smile

                                            Cindy

                                            Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 10:44 AM

                                            I live in the best kolache town on earth – Ellinger.  My house is 1 minute away from Hruska’s Store and great kolaches.  Although many claim the recipe as theirs, I know it is my deceased brother-in-law’s Czech mother’s recipe.  So far, I  have calculated that each kolache I eat adds another pound to my frame.  So I can only indulge occasionally.

                                            Life doesn’t get any better than this.

                                            Rosemary

                                            No virus found in this message.

                                          • Rosemary Ermis
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 11 1:01 PM
                                              Quite a few people claim the kolache recipe originated with their
                                              grandmothers. Depends on who you ask in Ellinger.