Re: [TexasCzechs] Immigrant Database Submissions

  • Kathy Horak Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2000
      Patrick,
      I tried to get on the data base and it wouldn't let me. I typed in my
      e-mail address and made up a password and it told me I wasn't a member of
      the texasczechs. What do I need to do? I've been a member of the
      listserve since the first of the year.

      Kathy Horak Smith

      ----------

    • SRektorik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2000
      • SRektorik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2000
          Patrick Janis, I have a couple of questions for you or for whom ever is
          working on The Czech Immigrant Database:

          1. Is there a standard format we are using for names? Are we using all
          capital letters? I know this is standard in genealogical research; however,
          in a database that sure takes up space.

          2. Do we have a standardized format for entering dates? Do we want one?

          3. I noticed that there are only one or two entries for each last name. I
          don't know about everyone else but my folks came with from one to eight
          children. Each of them are immigrants. Are these to be added to the
          database?

          I think we might want to standardize now before we get much more data
          entered. What do you think?

          Susan Rektorik Henley
        • SRektorik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2000
            Patrick,

            Thanks for the recommendations. I will adjust my entries to reflect these
            standards. I also thought of another issue when I read your comments about
            sorting by ship name. One immigrant may have come by the Bark Jeverland
            while another by the S.S. Rhaetia. Again, when one sorts, would it be better
            if all were listed the ship as just "Jeverland" and "Rheatia" or is there a
            reason to include The "bark" and "S. S."?

            Susan Rektorik Henley