Czech Republic

  • mrbkdb112@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 16 5:14 PM
      We just returned from 17 days in Prague, Pilsen, and Brno, and for anyone that is going over there right now be advised that it is very warm. It was about 85 degrees most of the time and with no airconditioning in the car and sometimes not in the hotels either we did not have the right clothes with us. I had checked the weather before we left and it said 60 high for the days and 44 for low. Obviously,that was not correct,so packed coats and sweaters that we did not need.

      The countryside is gorgeous this time of year with the rape fields a brilliant yellow, and the flowering trees along the roadsides all blooming. I think they were apple and plum trees. There were also loads of lilacs in full bloom.

      The views from Karlstejn Castle were breathtaking and we were able to get an English-speaking guide for our tour of the interior. Finding it was not so simple but we enjoyed the extra driving in the country anyway. Its a long climb up to the castle so we opted for a taxi up and then walked down . Had an excellent lunch in the little village there. We also were able to exchange our money at a very good rate. (We arrived on the weekend and did not have a chance to do this before.)

      We found an apartment we could rent in downtown Prague  through info@...,for only $80 per night and it was only two blocks from the Old Town Square and the Astronomical Clock. Also, two blocks from the Intercontinental Hotel where we had their fabulous buffet breakfast. The only problem with the apartment was that we were supposed to have a  place to park our car a block away,but when we arrived the lot was blocked off because a movie was being made there and the crew was using the lot, so because of the parking problem we didn't keep the apartment long and moved over to the Pyramida Hotel that is up on the hill by the Prague Castle. We could park there easily and the rooms were good. They had an excellent buffet breakfast that went with the room.

      At Brno we stayed at the Holiday Inn that is next to the World Trade Center and we were delighted to find that there was nothing going on at the time so we were about the only guests all the time we were there. It was very easy to find and they had secure parking right by the door. We ate all our meals there as it was such good service and excellent food. Four days there plus all our meals only amounted to about $468.00.

      Another great hotel was in Podebrady which is just east of Prague. The hotel was situated right in a park that was really nice for walks and we were only a block from the castle which is next to the city square.

      The Pruhonice Castle was the most beautiful because of the grounds that had azalea bushes everywhere. They were a riot of pinks and reds. Just beautiful. There was a lake with swans and while walking there we saw a falcon trainer with his bird in the process of training it. That was something we had never seen before.

      Prague was extremely crowded in the Old Town Square so we did not spend a lot of time there. We've been there several times anyway, so this time we decided to see other areas.

      Prague has a beautiful new Archive Building - very sleek and modern where they store all their old records . It is accessible for individual viewing of microfilm if you understand the language. I was fortunate that there was one individual that spoke some English and he looked up some information for me, otherwise I couldn't have accomplished much.

      Our rental car experience was not good so I do not recommend renting a car from this company : www.vecar.cz   or mvesely@...     Name: Milos Vesely
      He tried to charge us twice. Fortunately, our Visa card people were on the ball and did not authorize the second charge for him. However, I'm still not sure we are in the clear so I will have to be checking with Visa periodically to make sure he doesn't get a second charge through. He also overcharged us so this was a bad experience. It taught me a lesson not to ever try to deal with an unknown company like that. Auto Europe is good or Europacar and I should have used them.

      The food is so cheap over there ...we could have a full meal, beer for Ken and Perrier for me,plus big dessert for under $10.00. This was at Pyramida , Holiday Inn,or even in Pilsen at the Skoda Hotel.  Intercontinental Hotel was more expensive as was the International hotel. In the smaller towns it was even less.

      I received some of my Visa charges already and they used about 33.00 Cz Kr to the dollar so thats a good rate as the dollar did go down while we were there.

      I'll be glad to answer any questions ...mrbkdb112@...

    • Joe Janecka
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2003
        Well, we're heading for the Czech Republic in the morning.

        Wish you were all going with us. We'll be in Moravia most of the
        time.

        I'll salute a toast of slivovice to all of you :-))
        Cheers,
        Joe
        Burleson, TX
        http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
      • delsmaj@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2003
          I am so jealous!! In Frestat, look for Ales Krkoska. He is an architect
          right off the square on the nw side. Tell him hello for me and he can show
          you a good time!

          Del
        • pfoster
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
            Pavel,  I just realized, has anyone asked did any of your family immigrated to Texas?  paulasmaggie