Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Czech Mothers' group in Plano??

  • barbi grl
    Message 1 of 24 , May 3, 2002
      i live here now (from texas originally) and am
      learning czech.

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • juli_pitra
      Message 2 of 24 , May 3, 2002
        How are you studying the language? Private lessons, self study or
        what? And where in Texas do you live?

        Juli

      • barbi grl
        Message 3 of 24 , May 4, 2002
          i work with an international company where lots of
          czechs work, so they help me a bit. i have a private
          tutor who is really great, and i study on my own when
          i can. it also helps living in an area where there are
          few foreigners living and i hear it all the time on
          trams, busses, etc. :) i read and write better, simply
          because i can take my time with it. also still nervous
          about my ability to speak...slowly/pomalo. :)
          i went to school in austin (they have a really great
          czech program at UT) but am originally from the
          gonzales, shiner, hallettsville area. :)

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Ekor8@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 24 , May 4, 2002
            Juli,
                   in Canada is a Czech Bookstore. They have a wonderful selection of books, music, etc. They also have a fairytales and stories for little kids on CD. I'm sure your little one will enjoy listen to them. Here is a link CReflex - czech books,CD's and magazines.  She can learn this way also.
                                                                              ~~Eva~~
          • Ray J. Bacak
            Message 5 of 24 , May 4, 2002
              On a somewhat related matter, a while back someone was looking for Joe Patek Orchestra CD's and casettes.  Notice that Patek's Grocery (Drive-in) here in Moulton has them on their counter.  Understand that an uncle of Ervin Patek, the owner, distributes them.  If you are interested and are too far from Moulton, give me your name, address and phone number and whether you want a CD or casette and I will relay the information to Ervin Patek, who will, I would think, have his uncle contact you for arrangements to mail.

              Ray Bacak

              Message 6 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic? Where?

              • barbi grl
                Message 7 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                  in prague. i think i would learn the language faster
                  living in a small village teaching english, but the
                  money isn't as good.
                  going to Plzen this weekend with my brother who is
                  stationed in germany with the Army.
                  by the way....if anyone ever plans to visit the czech
                  republic, i have to say this: May is a beautiful time
                  to visit. it's right before high season begins, and
                  everything is in full bloom! this is my first spring
                  here, and i LOVE it. yes...it's been a bit rainy half
                  the time, but a fair amount is sunny and warm as well.
                  :) i like it a lot! :)

                  --- juli_pitra <pitra98@...> wrote:
                  > So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic?
                  > Where?
                  >
                  > Juli

                  http://health.yahoo.com
                • juli_pitra
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                    I'm so jealous!

                    We lived in Vinohrady, and it was a beautiful part of town. My
                    husband's parents live in Zizkov. His paternal grandmotheralso lived
                    in Vinohrady, but she passed away a few months ago.

                    I agree with you that May is beautiful there, and I also love
                    September. We are planning to be there for about a month next
                    summer. Will you still be around? What are you doing there?

                    Have you been to Sumava yet? That is one of my husband's favorite
                    places in summer. It is my dream that we buy a cottage there
                    someday. We will spend at least a week there, maybe two, when we
                    come to visit. We also liked Trebon, but the mozzies are
                    frightnening!

                    Hope that you are having the time of your life there!

                    Juli

                    --- In TexasCzechs@y..., barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@y...> wrote:
                    > in prague. i think i would learn the language faster
                    > living in a small village teaching english, but the
                    > money isn't as good.
                    > going to Plzen this weekend with my brother who is
                    > stationed in germany with the Army.
                    > by the way....if anyone ever plans to visit the czech
                    > republic, i have to say this: May is a beautiful time
                    > to visit. it's right before high season begins, and
                    > everything is in full bloom! this is my first spring
                    > here, and i LOVE it. yes...it's been a bit rainy half
                    > the time, but a fair amount is sunny and warm as well.
                    > :) i like it a lot! :)
                    >
                    > --- juli_pitra <pitra98@a...> wrote:
                    > > So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic?
                    > > Where?
                    > >
                    > > Juli

                    > http://health.yahoo.com
                  • barbi grl
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                      i got the chance of a lifetime... :)

                      i live near vinohrady, in vrsovice. great
                      neighborhood, with beautiful parks around me. dont ask
                      how long i will be here, as i dont know myself...until
                      i can speak fluently for sure... :)
                      buy property before the CR gets into the EU, it'll be
                      a lot more expensive after that!

                      and i couldn't quite tell you if i've been to sumava
                      yet. though it doesn't sound familiar. i've traveled
                      all over moravia and bohemia and was enjoying it too
                      much to remember to write down everywhere i went or
                      every town i passed thru. (just gives me an excuse to
                      have to do it again!) :) and thruout prague and it's
                      little village suburbs, i've only visited a few (where
                      i know people). i like beroun...neat little town with
                      bears as their main attraction in their park. i was
                      there during easter (hiding from the boys/men with
                      sticks!) :)

                      http://health.yahoo.com
                    • Ekor8@AOL.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                        >....I live near vinohrady, in vrsovice..............

                        I'm originally from Vrsovice and my husband is from Vinohrady. We used to
                        live "v Bulharske ulici." Where you live?
                        ~~Eva~~
                      • barbi grl
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2002
                          Holandska.
                          it's very "international" over here. my friend lives
                          on americka, there's a madriska, ruska, etc etc :)

                          http://health.yahoo.com
                        • ardisjoyce@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2002
                            We really like the Vinohrady neighborhood.  On our first trip to the Czech Republic in 1994, we stayed on Londonska and several times we have stayed at the Olea on Amerika.  And it has the only modern washateria in Praha!  We have taken language courses at the University at Liptal twice, and we have talked about living there for a year to really learn the language.  I enjoy hearing your reports from your life there.  Keep it up.

                            Joyce Ehrenberger