Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Czech Mothers' group in Plano??

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 24 , May 2 10:53 PM
      Juli,

      No apology necessary or needed!  Instead, you have a new subject of discussion.  Didn't know you were so good, huh?  <G>

      I certainly hope someone in the Dallas area may have responded to your message by now.  Don't give up - someone will.

      Stay tuned to the messages - An all day Czech Heritage Society meeting is being held August 3rd in Ennis, TX.  I gather you moved to Plane recently and may not know the area very well. Ennis is south of Dallas (on the out skirts of Plane <G>) on Interstate 45, distance of abut 30 miles I believe.  Please try to attend and enjou the festives.

      I know of two in Ennis that speaks Czech fluently and possible you may meet them, if my plans jell like I epect them to.

      Sir John
        Message 3 of 24 , May 3 8:22 AM
          How are you studying the language? Private lessons, self study or
          what? And where in Texas do you live?

          Juli

        • barbi grl
          Message 4 of 24 , May 4 6:10 AM
            i work with an international company where lots of
            czechs work, so they help me a bit. i have a private
            tutor who is really great, and i study on my own when
            i can. it also helps living in an area where there are
            few foreigners living and i hear it all the time on
            trams, busses, etc. :) i read and write better, simply
            because i can take my time with it. also still nervous
            about my ability to speak...slowly/pomalo. :)
            i went to school in austin (they have a really great
            czech program at UT) but am originally from the
            gonzales, shiner, hallettsville area. :)

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • Ekor8@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 24 , May 4 9:36 AM
              Juli,
                     in Canada is a Czech Bookstore. They have a wonderful selection of books, music, etc. They also have a fairytales and stories for little kids on CD. I'm sure your little one will enjoy listen to them. Here is a link CReflex - czech books,CD's and magazines.  She can learn this way also.
                                                                                ~~Eva~~
            • Ray J. Bacak
              Message 6 of 24 , May 4 10:13 AM
                On a somewhat related matter, a while back someone was looking for Joe Patek Orchestra CD's and casettes.  Notice that Patek's Grocery (Drive-in) here in Moulton has them on their counter.  Understand that an uncle of Ervin Patek, the owner, distributes them.  If you are interested and are too far from Moulton, give me your name, address and phone number and whether you want a CD or casette and I will relay the information to Ervin Patek, who will, I would think, have his uncle contact you for arrangements to mail.

                Ray Bacak

                       in Canada is a Czech Bookstore. They have a wonderful selection of books, music, etc.

              • juli_pitra
                Message 7 of 24 , May 4 5:51 PM
                  So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic? Where?

                • barbi grl
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 6 1:06 AM
                    in prague. i think i would learn the language faster
                    living in a small village teaching english, but the
                    money isn't as good.
                    going to Plzen this weekend with my brother who is
                    stationed in germany with the Army.
                    by the way....if anyone ever plans to visit the czech
                    republic, i have to say this: May is a beautiful time
                    to visit. it's right before high season begins, and
                    everything is in full bloom! this is my first spring
                    here, and i LOVE it. yes...it's been a bit rainy half
                    the time, but a fair amount is sunny and warm as well.
                    :) i like it a lot! :)

                    --- juli_pitra <pitra98@...> wrote:
                    > So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic?
                    > Where?
                    >
                    > Juli

                    http://health.yahoo.com
                  • juli_pitra
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 6 8:25 AM
                      I'm so jealous!

                      We lived in Vinohrady, and it was a beautiful part of town. My
                      husband's parents live in Zizkov. His paternal grandmotheralso lived
                      in Vinohrady, but she passed away a few months ago.

                      I agree with you that May is beautiful there, and I also love
                      September. We are planning to be there for about a month next
                      summer. Will you still be around? What are you doing there?

                      Have you been to Sumava yet? That is one of my husband's favorite
                      places in summer. It is my dream that we buy a cottage there
                      someday. We will spend at least a week there, maybe two, when we
                      come to visit. We also liked Trebon, but the mozzies are
                      frightnening!

                      Hope that you are having the time of your life there!

                      Juli

                      --- In TexasCzechs@y..., barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@y...> wrote:
                      > in prague. i think i would learn the language faster
                      > living in a small village teaching english, but the
                      > money isn't as good.
                      > going to Plzen this weekend with my brother who is
                      > stationed in germany with the Army.
                      > by the way....if anyone ever plans to visit the czech
                      > republic, i have to say this: May is a beautiful time
                      > to visit. it's right before high season begins, and
                      > everything is in full bloom! this is my first spring
                      > here, and i LOVE it. yes...it's been a bit rainy half
                      > the time, but a fair amount is sunny and warm as well.
                      > :) i like it a lot! :)
                      >
                      > --- juli_pitra <pitra98@a...> wrote:
                      > > So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic?
                      > > Where?
                      > >
                      > > Juli

                      > http://health.yahoo.com
                    • barbi grl
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 6 11:04 AM
                        i got the chance of a lifetime... :)

                        i live near vinohrady, in vrsovice. great
                        neighborhood, with beautiful parks around me. dont ask
                        how long i will be here, as i dont know myself...until
                        i can speak fluently for sure... :)
                        buy property before the CR gets into the EU, it'll be
                        a lot more expensive after that!

                        and i couldn't quite tell you if i've been to sumava
                        yet. though it doesn't sound familiar. i've traveled
                        all over moravia and bohemia and was enjoying it too
                        much to remember to write down everywhere i went or
                        every town i passed thru. (just gives me an excuse to
                        have to do it again!) :) and thruout prague and it's
                        little village suburbs, i've only visited a few (where
                        i know people). i like beroun...neat little town with
                        bears as their main attraction in their park. i was
                        there during easter (hiding from the boys/men with
                        sticks!) :)

                        http://health.yahoo.com
                      • Ekor8@AOL.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 6 6:51 PM
                          >....I live near vinohrady, in vrsovice..............

                          I'm originally from Vrsovice and my husband is from Vinohrady. We used to
                          live "v Bulharske ulici." Where you live?
                          ~~Eva~~
                        • barbi grl
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7 3:21 AM
                            Holandska.
                            it's very "international" over here. my friend lives
                            on americka, there's a madriska, ruska, etc etc :)

                            http://health.yahoo.com
                          • ardisjoyce@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7 7:19 AM
                              We really like the Vinohrady neighborhood.  On our first trip to the Czech Republic in 1994, we stayed on Londonska and several times we have stayed at the Olea on Amerika.  And it has the only modern washateria in Praha!  We have taken language courses at the University at Liptal twice, and we have talked about living there for a year to really learn the language.  I enjoy hearing your reports from your life there.  Keep it up.

                              Joyce Ehrenberger