Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Czech Mothers' group in Plano??

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 24 , May 2, 2002
      Personally, I would prefer the Czech posts, in addition to the translation.  I know this will be a pain to someone who speaks the language and has to translate, but isn't our whole purpose here to preserve our heritage?   The Czech language is one way to preserve that heritage.  For those of us that are not fortunate enough to speak Czech, I think it would be nice to at least be able to recognize the language.  Don't send those of our group that are the most closely related to our culture to private messaging.  I recall the days as a child when you could hear Czech being spoken in the streets of towns like Granger, Taylor and Georgetown.  Now when I go back there... nothing.   Back then, my relatives had beautiful Czech accents, but so many of those are no longer living.  I was so excited when I was at a party at a little town near Victoria and sat with a couple wherein the lady was Czech and had a beautiful Czech accent.   Sad when you get excited over something like that.  Reminded me of visiting my great-grandma on her farm in Central Texas.

      Jan

      Message 2 of 24 , May 2, 2002
        Never underesteimate the Czech Culture and their people.  We find varied subjects that will increase messages:

        Recipies
        Chicken feet
        Stuff I'm glad I've forgot what the food was named!
        Photos
        Dance Halls, which was the best?
        Fence building
        Pigs
        Goats
        Intgestines here and there
        What women wore in the fields
        Too many to remember, and now

        If you write in Czech, please include the English translation in the next line.  And will we learn Czech this way?  I doubt it, but will catch a word here and there we will remember.  Like in the CR, you leran morning, evening, thank you, etc. ease and fast if you put your mind to it.

        I like to see Czech writing, and more injoyable listening to it.  Gonna teach me the language?  Not likely at my late age....

        Just keep posting messages whatever the subject may be.  But please do not EVER hesitate to post - main message I hope to get across.  And this is just a personalbe request...

        Sir John

        P S:  Cut excess messages when replying to a message,  P L E A S E ! ! ! !  We are not so forgetful that we forgot what the original message contained, after just a line or two.  If posting more than yoiu ordiginally write, cut the excess messages and send me a dozen kolaches and you will feel so much better!!!

        <G>

      • John L. Mikeska
        Message 3 of 24 , May 2, 2002
          Juli,

          No apology necessary or needed!  Instead, you have a new subject of discussion.  Didn't know you were so good, huh?  <G>

          I certainly hope someone in the Dallas area may have responded to your message by now.  Don't give up - someone will.

          Stay tuned to the messages - An all day Czech Heritage Society meeting is being held August 3rd in Ennis, TX.  I gather you moved to Plane recently and may not know the area very well. Ennis is south of Dallas (on the out skirts of Plane <G>) on Interstate 45, distance of abut 30 miles I believe.  Please try to attend and enjou the festives.

          I know of two in Ennis that speaks Czech fluently and possible you may meet them, if my plans jell like I epect them to.

          Sir John
            Message 5 of 24 , May 3, 2002
              How are you studying the language? Private lessons, self study or
              what? And where in Texas do you live?

              Juli

            • barbi grl
              Message 6 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                i work with an international company where lots of
                czechs work, so they help me a bit. i have a private
                tutor who is really great, and i study on my own when
                i can. it also helps living in an area where there are
                few foreigners living and i hear it all the time on
                trams, busses, etc. :) i read and write better, simply
                because i can take my time with it. also still nervous
                about my ability to speak...slowly/pomalo. :)
                i went to school in austin (they have a really great
                czech program at UT) but am originally from the
                gonzales, shiner, hallettsville area. :)

                http://health.yahoo.com
              • Ekor8@AOL.com
                Message 7 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                  Juli,
                         in Canada is a Czech Bookstore. They have a wonderful selection of books, music, etc. They also have a fairytales and stories for little kids on CD. I'm sure your little one will enjoy listen to them. Here is a link CReflex - czech books,CD's and magazines.  She can learn this way also.
                                                                                    ~~Eva~~
                • Ray J. Bacak
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                    On a somewhat related matter, a while back someone was looking for Joe Patek Orchestra CD's and casettes.  Notice that Patek's Grocery (Drive-in) here in Moulton has them on their counter.  Understand that an uncle of Ervin Patek, the owner, distributes them.  If you are interested and are too far from Moulton, give me your name, address and phone number and whether you want a CD or casette and I will relay the information to Ervin Patek, who will, I would think, have his uncle contact you for arrangements to mail.

                    Ray Bacak

                           in Canada is a Czech Bookstore. They have a wonderful selection of books, music, etc.

                  • juli_pitra
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                      So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic? Where?

                    • barbi grl
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                        in prague. i think i would learn the language faster
                        living in a small village teaching english, but the
                        money isn't as good.
                        going to Plzen this weekend with my brother who is
                        stationed in germany with the Army.
                        by the way....if anyone ever plans to visit the czech
                        republic, i have to say this: May is a beautiful time
                        to visit. it's right before high season begins, and
                        everything is in full bloom! this is my first spring
                        here, and i LOVE it. yes...it's been a bit rainy half
                        the time, but a fair amount is sunny and warm as well.
                        :) i like it a lot! :)

                        --- juli_pitra <pitra98@...> wrote:
                        > So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic?
                        > Where?
                        >
                        > Juli

                        http://health.yahoo.com
                      • juli_pitra
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                          I'm so jealous!

                          We lived in Vinohrady, and it was a beautiful part of town. My
                          husband's parents live in Zizkov. His paternal grandmotheralso lived
                          in Vinohrady, but she passed away a few months ago.

                          I agree with you that May is beautiful there, and I also love
                          September. We are planning to be there for about a month next
                          summer. Will you still be around? What are you doing there?

                          Have you been to Sumava yet? That is one of my husband's favorite
                          places in summer. It is my dream that we buy a cottage there
                          someday. We will spend at least a week there, maybe two, when we
                          come to visit. We also liked Trebon, but the mozzies are
                          frightnening!

                          Hope that you are having the time of your life there!

                          Juli

                          --- In TexasCzechs@y..., barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@y...> wrote:
                          > in prague. i think i would learn the language faster
                          > living in a small village teaching english, but the
                          > money isn't as good.
                          > going to Plzen this weekend with my brother who is
                          > stationed in germany with the Army.
                          > by the way....if anyone ever plans to visit the czech
                          > republic, i have to say this: May is a beautiful time
                          > to visit. it's right before high season begins, and
                          > everything is in full bloom! this is my first spring
                          > here, and i LOVE it. yes...it's been a bit rainy half
                          > the time, but a fair amount is sunny and warm as well.
                          > :) i like it a lot! :)
                          >
                          > --- juli_pitra <pitra98@a...> wrote:
                          > > So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic?
                          > > Where?
                          > >
                          > > Juli

                          > http://health.yahoo.com
                        • barbi grl
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                            i got the chance of a lifetime... :)

                            i live near vinohrady, in vrsovice. great
                            neighborhood, with beautiful parks around me. dont ask
                            how long i will be here, as i dont know myself...until
                            i can speak fluently for sure... :)
                            buy property before the CR gets into the EU, it'll be
                            a lot more expensive after that!

                            and i couldn't quite tell you if i've been to sumava
                            yet. though it doesn't sound familiar. i've traveled
                            all over moravia and bohemia and was enjoying it too
                            much to remember to write down everywhere i went or
                            every town i passed thru. (just gives me an excuse to
                            have to do it again!) :) and thruout prague and it's
                            little village suburbs, i've only visited a few (where
                            i know people). i like beroun...neat little town with
                            bears as their main attraction in their park. i was
                            there during easter (hiding from the boys/men with
                            sticks!) :)

                            http://health.yahoo.com
                          • Ekor8@AOL.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                              >....I live near vinohrady, in vrsovice..............

                              I'm originally from Vrsovice and my husband is from Vinohrady. We used to
                              live "v Bulharske ulici." Where you live?
                              ~~Eva~~
                            • barbi grl
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2002
                                Holandska.
                                it's very "international" over here. my friend lives
                                on americka, there's a madriska, ruska, etc etc :)

                                http://health.yahoo.com
                              • ardisjoyce@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7, 2002
                                  We really like the Vinohrady neighborhood.  On our first trip to the Czech Republic in 1994, we stayed on Londonska and several times we have stayed at the Olea on Amerika.  And it has the only modern washateria in Praha!  We have taken language courses at the University at Liptal twice, and we have talked about living there for a year to really learn the language.  I enjoy hearing your reports from your life there.  Keep it up.

                                  Joyce Ehrenberger