Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Czech Mothers' group in Plano??

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 24 , May 2, 2002
      Ray and Members,

      A message can be posted in Czech to the list.  The few lines posted are bringing comments of writing additional  lines in English to posting in private (off line, as Ray states).  For members who have been on the list for some time, and attending meetings and obtained the Electronic Czechs handouts, or heard our talks, they may realize what we have attempted to get across by posting privately to another person is the message is of no use or benefit to the list.

      BUT: (Always have that But! <G>) If a member does not know how to reply to a member on the list in private, then it is better to post to the list in hopes the other person will get the message.  THEN, send a request to Sir John at jlmikeska@... and he will tell you, or even show you with clips, how to obtain private email of any member who has posted to the list.  Their email address is on each message posted.

      This is just like 'cut and paste' excess message/lines when replying to messages.  Some know how to do it, some don't or haven't learned.  Send a request to me and I'll lead you through it.

      If all fails, remember there is the dedicated DELETE key.
      Message 2 of 24 , May 2, 2002
        Juli
        Welcome to the group.
        You need to attend the National Polka Festival that is held in Ennis, the
        last weekend of May. It's not that far from Dallas. I'm sure you will find
        a lot of people around there that will speak Czech. It is May 24-25-26 this
        year. Just go to this site for all the info
        http://www.nationalpolkafestival.com/id17.htm.
        It has been many years since I have gone to one. Maybe this year.
        Then in the fall on Labor Day Weekend, there is Westfest, held in the town
        of West, about 1 1/2 hour drive from Dallas.
        Mary (Soukup) Holy

        Message 3 of 24 , May 2, 2002
          Personally, I would prefer the Czech posts, in addition to the translation.  I know this will be a pain to someone who speaks the language and has to translate, but isn't our whole purpose here to preserve our heritage?   The Czech language is one way to preserve that heritage.  For those of us that are not fortunate enough to speak Czech, I think it would be nice to at least be able to recognize the language.  Don't send those of our group that are the most closely related to our culture to private messaging.  I recall the days as a child when you could hear Czech being spoken in the streets of towns like Granger, Taylor and Georgetown.  Now when I go back there... nothing.   Back then, my relatives had beautiful Czech accents, but so many of those are no longer living.  I was so excited when I was at a party at a little town near Victoria and sat with a couple wherein the lady was Czech and had a beautiful Czech accent.   Sad when you get excited over something like that.  Reminded me of visiting my great-grandma on her farm in Central Texas.

          Jan

          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2002
            Never underesteimate the Czech Culture and their people.  We find varied subjects that will increase messages:

            Recipies
            Chicken feet
            Stuff I'm glad I've forgot what the food was named!
            Photos
            Dance Halls, which was the best?
            Fence building
            Pigs
            Goats
            Intgestines here and there
            What women wore in the fields
            Too many to remember, and now

            If you write in Czech, please include the English translation in the next line.  And will we learn Czech this way?  I doubt it, but will catch a word here and there we will remember.  Like in the CR, you leran morning, evening, thank you, etc. ease and fast if you put your mind to it.

            I like to see Czech writing, and more injoyable listening to it.  Gonna teach me the language?  Not likely at my late age....

            Just keep posting messages whatever the subject may be.  But please do not EVER hesitate to post - main message I hope to get across.  And this is just a personalbe request...

            Sir John

            P S:  Cut excess messages when replying to a message,  P L E A S E ! ! ! !  We are not so forgetful that we forgot what the original message contained, after just a line or two.  If posting more than yoiu ordiginally write, cut the excess messages and send me a dozen kolaches and you will feel so much better!!!

            <G>

          • John L. Mikeska
            Message 5 of 24 , May 2, 2002
              Juli,

              No apology necessary or needed!  Instead, you have a new subject of discussion.  Didn't know you were so good, huh?  <G>

              I certainly hope someone in the Dallas area may have responded to your message by now.  Don't give up - someone will.

              Stay tuned to the messages - An all day Czech Heritage Society meeting is being held August 3rd in Ennis, TX.  I gather you moved to Plane recently and may not know the area very well. Ennis is south of Dallas (on the out skirts of Plane <G>) on Interstate 45, distance of abut 30 miles I believe.  Please try to attend and enjou the festives.

              I know of two in Ennis that speaks Czech fluently and possible you may meet them, if my plans jell like I epect them to.

              Sir John
                i live here now (from texas originally) and am
                learning czech.

                http://health.yahoo.com
              • juli_pitra
                Message 7 of 24 , May 3, 2002
                  How are you studying the language? Private lessons, self study or
                  what? And where in Texas do you live?

                  Juli

                • barbi grl
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                    i work with an international company where lots of
                    czechs work, so they help me a bit. i have a private
                    tutor who is really great, and i study on my own when
                    i can. it also helps living in an area where there are
                    few foreigners living and i hear it all the time on
                    trams, busses, etc. :) i read and write better, simply
                    because i can take my time with it. also still nervous
                    about my ability to speak...slowly/pomalo. :)
                    i went to school in austin (they have a really great
                    czech program at UT) but am originally from the
                    gonzales, shiner, hallettsville area. :)

                    http://health.yahoo.com
                  • Ekor8@AOL.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                      Juli,
                             in Canada is a Czech Bookstore. They have a wonderful selection of books, music, etc. They also have a fairytales and stories for little kids on CD. I'm sure your little one will enjoy listen to them. Here is a link CReflex - czech books,CD's and magazines.  She can learn this way also.
                                                                                        ~~Eva~~
                    • Ray J. Bacak
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                        On a somewhat related matter, a while back someone was looking for Joe Patek Orchestra CD's and casettes.  Notice that Patek's Grocery (Drive-in) here in Moulton has them on their counter.  Understand that an uncle of Ervin Patek, the owner, distributes them.  If you are interested and are too far from Moulton, give me your name, address and phone number and whether you want a CD or casette and I will relay the information to Ervin Patek, who will, I would think, have his uncle contact you for arrangements to mail.

                        Ray Bacak

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                          So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic? Where?

                        • barbi grl
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                            in prague. i think i would learn the language faster
                            living in a small village teaching english, but the
                            money isn't as good.
                            going to Plzen this weekend with my brother who is
                            stationed in germany with the Army.
                            by the way....if anyone ever plans to visit the czech
                            republic, i have to say this: May is a beautiful time
                            to visit. it's right before high season begins, and
                            everything is in full bloom! this is my first spring
                            here, and i LOVE it. yes...it's been a bit rainy half
                            the time, but a fair amount is sunny and warm as well.
                            :) i like it a lot! :)

                            --- juli_pitra <pitra98@...> wrote:
                            > So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic?
                            > Where?
                            >
                            > Juli

                            http://health.yahoo.com
                          • juli_pitra
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                              I'm so jealous!

                              We lived in Vinohrady, and it was a beautiful part of town. My
                              husband's parents live in Zizkov. His paternal grandmotheralso lived
                              in Vinohrady, but she passed away a few months ago.

                              I agree with you that May is beautiful there, and I also love
                              September. We are planning to be there for about a month next
                              summer. Will you still be around? What are you doing there?

                              Have you been to Sumava yet? That is one of my husband's favorite
                              places in summer. It is my dream that we buy a cottage there
                              someday. We will spend at least a week there, maybe two, when we
                              come to visit. We also liked Trebon, but the mozzies are
                              frightnening!

                              Hope that you are having the time of your life there!

                              Juli

                              --- In TexasCzechs@y..., barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@y...> wrote:
                              > in prague. i think i would learn the language faster
                              > living in a small village teaching english, but the
                              > money isn't as good.
                              > going to Plzen this weekend with my brother who is
                              > stationed in germany with the Army.
                              > by the way....if anyone ever plans to visit the czech
                              > republic, i have to say this: May is a beautiful time
                              > to visit. it's right before high season begins, and
                              > everything is in full bloom! this is my first spring
                              > here, and i LOVE it. yes...it's been a bit rainy half
                              > the time, but a fair amount is sunny and warm as well.
                              > :) i like it a lot! :)
                              >
                              > --- juli_pitra <pitra98@a...> wrote:
                              > > So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic?
                              > > Where?
                              > >
                              > > Juli

                              > http://health.yahoo.com
                            • barbi grl
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                                i got the chance of a lifetime... :)

                                i live near vinohrady, in vrsovice. great
                                neighborhood, with beautiful parks around me. dont ask
                                how long i will be here, as i dont know myself...until
                                i can speak fluently for sure... :)
                                buy property before the CR gets into the EU, it'll be
                                a lot more expensive after that!

                                and i couldn't quite tell you if i've been to sumava
                                yet. though it doesn't sound familiar. i've traveled
                                all over moravia and bohemia and was enjoying it too
                                much to remember to write down everywhere i went or
                                every town i passed thru. (just gives me an excuse to
                                have to do it again!) :) and thruout prague and it's
                                little village suburbs, i've only visited a few (where
                                i know people). i like beroun...neat little town with
                                bears as their main attraction in their park. i was
                                there during easter (hiding from the boys/men with
                                sticks!) :)

                                http://health.yahoo.com
                              • Ekor8@AOL.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                                  >....I live near vinohrady, in vrsovice..............

                                  I'm originally from Vrsovice and my husband is from Vinohrady. We used to
                                  live "v Bulharske ulici." Where you live?
                                  ~~Eva~~
                                • barbi grl
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 7, 2002
                                    Holandska.
                                    it's very "international" over here. my friend lives
                                    on americka, there's a madriska, ruska, etc etc :)

                                    http://health.yahoo.com
                                  • ardisjoyce@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 7, 2002
                                      We really like the Vinohrady neighborhood.  On our first trip to the Czech Republic in 1994, we stayed on Londonska and several times we have stayed at the Olea on Amerika.  And it has the only modern washateria in Praha!  We have taken language courses at the University at Liptal twice, and we have talked about living there for a year to really learn the language.  I enjoy hearing your reports from your life there.  Keep it up.

                                      Joyce Ehrenberger