RE: [TexasCzechs] Family Tree

  • Leona M. Urbish, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2002
      Getting a little late on this; I've been out of town. The Klecka's in
      East Bernard that you (Ray) refer to are Rudy and Henrietta Klecka.
      Henrietta is my first cousin, from my father's side; her maiden name
      would have been Urbish. I'm afraid I don't know much about Rudy's
      family. They are in their late 70's, and did in fact own a grocery/dry
      goods store. About a year ago, I visited with them and they were
      planning to sell out and retire; I'm assuming they did.

      They also conduct tours of the Czech Republic; they operate under the
      name Klub Kontinental and have been taking groups since the 60's. I
      haven't checked but perhaps they have a website where some further
      information can be gathered.

      Good luck!

      Leona

      Leona M. Urbish, Ph.D., Director
      Office of Institutional Research
      Rice University
      P. O. Box 1892
      Houston, TX 77251-1892
      713-348-6258 (o) - 713-348-6252 (fax)

      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2002
        Hello Leona,

        Rudy and Henrietta Klecka are my aunt and uncle. And they are also my god
        parents. Rudy is my grandmothers brother. I still have Czech dolls that
        they would send me every year when they would go on their trips.

        The Klecka's are suppose to be having a family reunion Labor Day weekend.
        It's going to be good to see everyone.

        Who is your dad? My mom told me that Henrietta had a brother name Justis I
        think.

        Thanks so much for the email.
        Karen
      • Leona M. Urbish, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2002
          Hi, Karen,

          It's always so nice to find some relatives! I've not gotten far into my
          research but will be doing so this summer when things slow down a
          little.

          My father's name was John Julius Urbish; his oldest brother, Frank C.
          (don't know what the C stands for) was Henrietta's father, and I do
          believe she had a brother named Justis. My father was probably 10-12
          years younger than Frank and he and my mother married later in life (my
          father was almost 30), so we kids were much younger than some of the
          kids from the older siblings. Thus, I don't know all the cousins,

          If you're going to the reunion, I know you'll find out a lot of
          information; and I know I have a book somewhere that gives a lot of
          details about the Urbish side of the family. I'll be digging that out
          this summer, so I'll get back with you on what I find about Henrietta
          and her sibling(s)....but don't be shy about reminding me if it seems
          like I've forgotten.

          Good luck; I'm sure the reunion will be great fun!

          As a sidenote, when Rudy and Henrietta were closing down their gift shop
          there in East Bernard, she let me know and I was lucky enough to get
          several very fine pieces of Bohemian crystal, a Bohemian garnet ring,
          and some other miscellaneous items. Maybe you know this, but an
          interesting note was given regarding the Bohemian garnets, which are a
          distinctly different color than the usual you find. The Bohemian
          garnets are a black-red, rather than the rusty-red that are mostly
          found, except in fine jewelry stores. Once you see the difference, you
          can spot the "real" Bohemian garnet immediately. They are beautiful.
          With their being your godparents, I'm sure you've been to their house,
          which as you know is filled in every nook and cranny with items from the
          Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc. It was like going through a treasure
          chest.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2002
            Hello Leona,

            What was your mothers name?

            Hope everything is going well with you.

            Take care,
            Karen
          • salvarez@pcai.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004
              Start at the very basic tree. Write down everyone in your family.
              Ask your mother who her brothers and sister are, their wifes and
              children. Birthdates, marriage dates etc.

              Ask her who her parents are and their families
              (brothers,sisters, wifes, children) If they are not living, ask
              where they are buried..where they lived etc.

              This should get you started, then myself and others should be
              able to help you a little more from there.

              Steve

              does anyone know how to do these things? b/c the net isnt
              helping me
              at all and there are so many relatives of mine in the abott/west
              area that i dont know who belongs to who...and on my grandpas
              ...all
              i know is my grandpa....my mom doesnt even know any of her
              relatives
              on that side.....so...any help would be GREATLY appreciated...