Czech Mothers' group in Plano??

  • juli_pitra
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 30 9:58 AM
      Hello,

      I have just joined this group, and hopefully, one of you will be able
      to help me. I have a sixteen-month-old daughter and another child due
      in August. I'd like to find some Czech-speaking playmates for my
      daughter and later on for the next one. My daughter hears Czech from
      her father daily, but I'd like to augment her exposure since we are
      no longer living in the Czech Republic.

      If any of you can provide some assistance, I'd greatly appreciate it.

      Regards,
      Juli Pitra
    • Ekor8@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 30 10:13 AM
        .....>and no longer living in Czech republic.....

        You also speak Czech Juli?
        ~~Eva~~
      • juli_pitra
        Message 3 of 24 , May 2, 2002
          Mluvim jenom trochu, ale rozumim moc. Cesky je tesky jazek, jak
          vis. A Vy?

          --- In TexasCzechs@y..., Ekor8@A... wrote:
          > .....>and no longer living in Czech republic.....
          >
          > You also speak Czech Juli?
          > ~~Eva~~
        • Leroy Janda
          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2002
            Vyborne, ja taky mluvin a rozumim moc cesky jazek.

            On Thursday 02 May 2002 06:16 am, you wrote:
            > Mluvim jenom trochu, ale rozumim moc. Cesky je tesky jazek, jak
            > vis. A Vy?
            >
            > --- In TexasCzechs@y..., Ekor8@A... wrote:
            > > .....>and no longer living in Czech republic.....
            > >
            > > You also speak Czech Juli?
            > > ~~Eva~~

          • barbi grl
            Message 5 of 24 , May 2, 2002
              hezky cesky. :)

              --- juli_pitra <juli_pitra@...> wrote:
              > Mluvim jenom trochu, ale rozumim moc. Cesky je
              > tesky jazek, jak
              > vis. A Vy?
              >
              > --- In TexasCzechs@y..., Ekor8@A... wrote:
              > > .....>and no longer living in Czech republic.....
              > >
              > > You also speak Czech Juli?
              > > ~~Eva~~

              http://health.yahoo.com
            • RAY J. BACAK
              Message 6 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                For those of us who don't understand Czech, hopefully we aren't going to
                resort to a lot of these Czech messages. They could be done directly
                outside of the group, perhaps?

                > Vyborne, ja taky mluvin a rozumim moc cesky jazek.
                >
                > On Thursday 02 May 2002 06:16 am, you wrote:
                > > Mluvim jenom trochu, ale rozumim moc. Cesky je tesky jazek, jak
                > > vis. A Vy?
                > >
                > > --- In TexasCzechs@y..., Ekor8@A... wrote:
                > > > .....>and no longer living in Czech republic.....
                > > >
                > > > You also speak Czech Juli?
                > > > ~~Eva~~

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • juli_pitra
                Message 7 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                  Please, pardon me. I had no intention of starting a Czech thread of
                  conversation. Here I am, new to the group, and already causing
                  trouble. I hope that you all will forgive me.

                  Now, does anyone who speaks Czech (and has Czech-speaking children)
                  live in the North Dallas area? I'd greatly appreciate the exposure
                  for my daughter!

                  Juli

                  BTW, we have taken so far, and will continue to take (barring
                  unforeseen economic and/or political circumstances) yearly month-long
                  trips to Prague. Does anyone else go back to the Czech Republic
                  regularly?

                  --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "RAY J. BACAK" <rjbacak@G...> wrote:
                  > For those of us who don't understand Czech, hopefully we aren't
                  going to
                  > resort to a lot of these Czech messages. They could be done
                  directly
                  > outside of the group, perhaps?

                • John L. Mikeska
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                    Ray and Members,

                    A message can be posted in Czech to the list.  The few lines posted are bringing comments of writing additional  lines in English to posting in private (off line, as Ray states).  For members who have been on the list for some time, and attending meetings and obtained the Electronic Czechs handouts, or heard our talks, they may realize what we have attempted to get across by posting privately to another person is the message is of no use or benefit to the list.

                    BUT: (Always have that But! <G>) If a member does not know how to reply to a member on the list in private, then it is better to post to the list in hopes the other person will get the message.  THEN, send a request to Sir John at jlmikeska@... and he will tell you, or even show you with clips, how to obtain private email of any member who has posted to the list.  Their email address is on each message posted.

                    This is just like 'cut and paste' excess message/lines when replying to messages.  Some know how to do it, some don't or haven't learned.  Send a request to me and I'll lead you through it.

                    If all fails, remember there is the dedicated DELETE key.
                    For those of us who don't understand Czech, hopefully we aren't going to
                    resort to a lot of these Czech messages.  They could be done directly
                    outside of the group, perhaps?

                    > Vyborne, ja taky mluvin a rozumim moc cesky jazek.
                    >
                    > On Thursday 02 May 2002 06:16 am, you wrote:
                    > > Mluvim jenom trochu, ale rozumim moc.  Cesky je tesky jazek, jak
                    > > vis.  A Vy?
                    > >
                    > > --- In TexasCzechs@y..., Ekor8@A... wrote:
                    > > > .....>and no longer living in Czech republic.....
                    > > >
                    > > > You also speak Czech Juli?
                    > > >                                           ~~Eva~~

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Mary Holy
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                      Juli
                      Welcome to the group.
                      You need to attend the National Polka Festival that is held in Ennis, the
                      last weekend of May. It's not that far from Dallas. I'm sure you will find
                      a lot of people around there that will speak Czech. It is May 24-25-26 this
                      year. Just go to this site for all the info
                      http://www.nationalpolkafestival.com/id17.htm.
                      It has been many years since I have gone to one. Maybe this year.
                      Then in the fall on Labor Day Weekend, there is Westfest, held in the town
                      of West, about 1 1/2 hour drive from Dallas.
                      Mary (Soukup) Holy

                      > Please, pardon me. I had no intention of starting a Czech thread of
                      > conversation. Here I am, new to the group, and already causing
                      > trouble. I hope that you all will forgive me.
                      >
                      > Now, does anyone who speaks Czech (and has Czech-speaking children)
                      > live in the North Dallas area? I'd greatly appreciate the exposure
                      > for my daughter!
                      >
                      > Juli
                      >
                      > BTW, we have taken so far, and will continue to take (barring
                      > unforeseen economic and/or political circumstances) yearly month-long
                      > trips to Prague. Does anyone else go back to the Czech Republic
                      > regularly?

                    • Jan
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                        Personally, I would prefer the Czech posts, in addition to the translation.  I know this will be a pain to someone who speaks the language and has to translate, but isn't our whole purpose here to preserve our heritage?   The Czech language is one way to preserve that heritage.  For those of us that are not fortunate enough to speak Czech, I think it would be nice to at least be able to recognize the language.  Don't send those of our group that are the most closely related to our culture to private messaging.  I recall the days as a child when you could hear Czech being spoken in the streets of towns like Granger, Taylor and Georgetown.  Now when I go back there... nothing.   Back then, my relatives had beautiful Czech accents, but so many of those are no longer living.  I was so excited when I was at a party at a little town near Victoria and sat with a couple wherein the lady was Czech and had a beautiful Czech accent.   Sad when you get excited over something like that.  Reminded me of visiting my great-grandma on her farm in Central Texas.

                        Jan

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                          Never underesteimate the Czech Culture and their people.  We find varied subjects that will increase messages:

                          Recipies
                          Chicken feet
                          Stuff I'm glad I've forgot what the food was named!
                          Photos
                          Dance Halls, which was the best?
                          Fence building
                          Pigs
                          Goats
                          Intgestines here and there
                          What women wore in the fields
                          Too many to remember, and now

                          If you write in Czech, please include the English translation in the next line.  And will we learn Czech this way?  I doubt it, but will catch a word here and there we will remember.  Like in the CR, you leran morning, evening, thank you, etc. ease and fast if you put your mind to it.

                          I like to see Czech writing, and more injoyable listening to it.  Gonna teach me the language?  Not likely at my late age....

                          Just keep posting messages whatever the subject may be.  But please do not EVER hesitate to post - main message I hope to get across.  And this is just a personalbe request...

                          Sir John

                          P S:  Cut excess messages when replying to a message,  P L E A S E ! ! ! !  We are not so forgetful that we forgot what the original message contained, after just a line or two.  If posting more than yoiu ordiginally write, cut the excess messages and send me a dozen kolaches and you will feel so much better!!!

                          <G>

                        • John L. Mikeska
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                            Juli,

                            No apology necessary or needed!  Instead, you have a new subject of discussion.  Didn't know you were so good, huh?  <G>

                            I certainly hope someone in the Dallas area may have responded to your message by now.  Don't give up - someone will.

                            Stay tuned to the messages - An all day Czech Heritage Society meeting is being held August 3rd in Ennis, TX.  I gather you moved to Plane recently and may not know the area very well. Ennis is south of Dallas (on the out skirts of Plane <G>) on Interstate 45, distance of abut 30 miles I believe.  Please try to attend and enjou the festives.

                            I know of two in Ennis that speaks Czech fluently and possible you may meet them, if my plans jell like I epect them to.

                            Sir John
                              i live here now (from texas originally) and am
                              learning czech.

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 3, 2002
                                How are you studying the language? Private lessons, self study or
                                what? And where in Texas do you live?

                                Juli

                              • barbi grl
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                                  i work with an international company where lots of
                                  czechs work, so they help me a bit. i have a private
                                  tutor who is really great, and i study on my own when
                                  i can. it also helps living in an area where there are
                                  few foreigners living and i hear it all the time on
                                  trams, busses, etc. :) i read and write better, simply
                                  because i can take my time with it. also still nervous
                                  about my ability to speak...slowly/pomalo. :)
                                  i went to school in austin (they have a really great
                                  czech program at UT) but am originally from the
                                  gonzales, shiner, hallettsville area. :)

                                  http://health.yahoo.com
                                • Ekor8@AOL.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                                    Juli,
                                           in Canada is a Czech Bookstore. They have a wonderful selection of books, music, etc. They also have a fairytales and stories for little kids on CD. I'm sure your little one will enjoy listen to them. Here is a link CReflex - czech books,CD's and magazines.  She can learn this way also.
                                                                                                      ~~Eva~~
                                  • Ray J. Bacak
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                                      On a somewhat related matter, a while back someone was looking for Joe Patek Orchestra CD's and casettes.  Notice that Patek's Grocery (Drive-in) here in Moulton has them on their counter.  Understand that an uncle of Ervin Patek, the owner, distributes them.  If you are interested and are too far from Moulton, give me your name, address and phone number and whether you want a CD or casette and I will relay the information to Ervin Patek, who will, I would think, have his uncle contact you for arrangements to mail.

                                      Ray Bacak

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                                        So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic? Where?

                                      • barbi grl
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                                          in prague. i think i would learn the language faster
                                          living in a small village teaching english, but the
                                          money isn't as good.
                                          going to Plzen this weekend with my brother who is
                                          stationed in germany with the Army.
                                          by the way....if anyone ever plans to visit the czech
                                          republic, i have to say this: May is a beautiful time
                                          to visit. it's right before high season begins, and
                                          everything is in full bloom! this is my first spring
                                          here, and i LOVE it. yes...it's been a bit rainy half
                                          the time, but a fair amount is sunny and warm as well.
                                          :) i like it a lot! :)

                                          --- juli_pitra <pitra98@...> wrote:
                                          > So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic?
                                          > Where?
                                          >
                                          > Juli

                                          http://health.yahoo.com
                                        • juli_pitra
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                                            I'm so jealous!

                                            We lived in Vinohrady, and it was a beautiful part of town. My
                                            husband's parents live in Zizkov. His paternal grandmotheralso lived
                                            in Vinohrady, but she passed away a few months ago.

                                            I agree with you that May is beautiful there, and I also love
                                            September. We are planning to be there for about a month next
                                            summer. Will you still be around? What are you doing there?

                                            Have you been to Sumava yet? That is one of my husband's favorite
                                            places in summer. It is my dream that we buy a cottage there
                                            someday. We will spend at least a week there, maybe two, when we
                                            come to visit. We also liked Trebon, but the mozzies are
                                            frightnening!

                                            Hope that you are having the time of your life there!

                                            Juli

                                            --- In TexasCzechs@y..., barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@y...> wrote:
                                            > in prague. i think i would learn the language faster
                                            > living in a small village teaching english, but the
                                            > money isn't as good.
                                            > going to Plzen this weekend with my brother who is
                                            > stationed in germany with the Army.
                                            > by the way....if anyone ever plans to visit the czech
                                            > republic, i have to say this: May is a beautiful time
                                            > to visit. it's right before high season begins, and
                                            > everything is in full bloom! this is my first spring
                                            > here, and i LOVE it. yes...it's been a bit rainy half
                                            > the time, but a fair amount is sunny and warm as well.
                                            > :) i like it a lot! :)
                                            >
                                            > --- juli_pitra <pitra98@a...> wrote:
                                            > > So, you are currently living in the Czech Republic?
                                            > > Where?
                                            > >
                                            > > Juli

                                            > http://health.yahoo.com
                                          • barbi grl
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                                              i got the chance of a lifetime... :)

                                              i live near vinohrady, in vrsovice. great
                                              neighborhood, with beautiful parks around me. dont ask
                                              how long i will be here, as i dont know myself...until
                                              i can speak fluently for sure... :)
                                              buy property before the CR gets into the EU, it'll be
                                              a lot more expensive after that!

                                              and i couldn't quite tell you if i've been to sumava
                                              yet. though it doesn't sound familiar. i've traveled
                                              all over moravia and bohemia and was enjoying it too
                                              much to remember to write down everywhere i went or
                                              every town i passed thru. (just gives me an excuse to
                                              have to do it again!) :) and thruout prague and it's
                                              little village suburbs, i've only visited a few (where
                                              i know people). i like beroun...neat little town with
                                              bears as their main attraction in their park. i was
                                              there during easter (hiding from the boys/men with
                                              sticks!) :)

                                              http://health.yahoo.com
                                            • Ekor8@AOL.com
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 6, 2002
                                                >....I live near vinohrady, in vrsovice..............

                                                I'm originally from Vrsovice and my husband is from Vinohrady. We used to
                                                live "v Bulharske ulici." Where you live?
                                                ~~Eva~~
                                              • barbi grl
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 7, 2002
                                                  Holandska.
                                                  it's very "international" over here. my friend lives
                                                  on americka, there's a madriska, ruska, etc etc :)

                                                  http://health.yahoo.com
                                                • ardisjoyce@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 7, 2002
                                                    We really like the Vinohrady neighborhood.  On our first trip to the Czech Republic in 1994, we stayed on Londonska and several times we have stayed at the Olea on Amerika.  And it has the only modern washateria in Praha!  We have taken language courses at the University at Liptal twice, and we have talked about living there for a year to really learn the language.  I enjoy hearing your reports from your life there.  Keep it up.

                                                    Joyce Ehrenberger