Re: [TexasCzechs] Reply to George

  • mrbkdb112@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
      Hi George

      Your crest really sounds authentic ,especially since you have the picture of your Grandmother with it. Plus having documentation of the Crest. A Cross and Anchor are interesting. Have you looked that up in the Heraldry books? Also, the color has meaning too. I appreciate all the information. I will be in Brno for three days but probably won't get much done there. I will be following up on the Stepan villages just north of Brno near Zdar.

      On another note, our family ancestry is Protestant all the way back, Evangelical Czech Bretheran was given in the records I received from Brno.  Our family has a Bible written in German script from Moravia that is dated in the 1500's, and the stories are that the family many times had to hide the book. It was once baked in a loaf of bread, once buried in the ground and another time put up the chimney to avoid the penalties for having it in their possession. There were no churches for them in the early days...services were held clandestinely in homes. So, chances are we didn't have a missionary for the Catholic church among my ancestors. However, you never know.

      Let's keep in touch. I'd like to hear if you find anything more about the meaning of the Crest. Funny about the anchor. I think I told you in researching my Herink ancestors that we ran into a crest in the history books and it was fish. We're thinking maybe the crest stems from the name really being Herring. Certainly , there were no salt water fish in Moravia, but, there were ponds in nearly every village. The Herinks once owned several ponds in 1422 near Brno. The enigma is that fish sellers, or people of that class didn't usually have a crest. This one appears in several stories in history and the crest always appears the same except when the estate was split up and a gauntlet was added as this particular Herink married a daughter of a man whose family crest had several gauntlets  on it as well a a Fleur de lis. Well, it is a guessing game but lots of fun.

      Thanks...Millie
    • Marek Schimara
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2002
        > there were ponds in nearly every village. The Herinks once owned several
        > ponds in 1422 near Brno. The enigma is that fish sellers, or people of that
        > class didn't usually have a crest. This one appears in several stories in

        Hello,

        maybe they were aristocrats? Many aristocrats owned ponds and maybe when they had many, they put the fish on the crest...
        Just a suggestion...

        Marek