Re: my family origins

  • Cindy Harvey
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
      Are any of our "Texas Czechs" familiar with the surname TRETTER?  I would love to help this person find out if he has relatives in the US.

      Thanks,
      Cindy

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
        Ahoj everyone.
        I learned a new word today from my co-workers.
        Krajanci. they told me that's what they call
        czechs...well, people born in other countries that are
        czech and keep the traditions/heritage alive.

        And easter in prague...my first. maybe some of you
        know of the czech tradition where men/boys go around
        with these woven branches that have ribbons on the tip
        and "spank" women in return for an egg. (i think i
        mentioned it in a previous email) well....i said to
        myself, i either have to stay in bed all day long
        while that goes on, or just hope i miss it :)
        so, i decide to venture out into the city (on my way
        to Beroun, a small town outside of prague) and as soon
        as i walk out my apartment building with my friend,
        there are these boys there who ask if they can say the
        kolandy(i think that's the word) its a short poem they
        recite before the "spanking" and then their getting an
        egg or whatever. i promptly replied "ne" as my friend
        (a guy naturally) held back laughter, but let them
        into the building to harass other women with their
        poems and sticks. :)
        otherwise, it was a most beautiful first easter in the
        czech republic. sunny warm weather (which it was just
        snowing last week) and it makes me want to believe
        that summer is almost here, and that spring is in FULL
        SWING! WOO HOO! Skveli! Vyborne! Super!
        cau,
        barbi

        http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Richard Garza
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
          Hi Cindy,
                  Mr. Tretter may have better luck with lists and organizations related to the Sudeten Germans, such as the German-Bohemian Heritage Society http://www.rootsweb.com/~gbhs/ . His list of German names, as well as that they were ousted from the Czech lands under the Benes decrees leads me to this conclusion. One of his Winklers seems to have died only 15 miles away from his birthplace in Litobratrice so there may still be some descendants in Austria. Birth records for the Suedmaehren (South Moravia) district will be found in Brno, CR. Other useful links for him would be:
          http://www.sudeten.de/  All of which have extensive genealogy links. He may also find the list of dead soldiers useful at: http://www.volksbund.de/
          Rick Garza
          Sharing. It's what it's all about!
          http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/