Re: [TexasCzechs] Texas Czech Demonstrations

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1 5:29 PM
      On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:28:06 -0600, you wrote:

      >Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
      >Mary (Soukup) Holy

      Albin lived just a little south of West and Joe lived about 2 miles SW
      of Abbott.
      Cheers,
      Joe
      http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
    • Joe Janecka
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1 6:00 PM
        On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 19:29:09 -0600, you wrote:

        >>Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
        >>Mary (Soukup) Holy
        >
        >Albin lived just a little south of West and Joe lived about 2 miles SW
        >of Abbott.

        Whoops! I meant 2 miles southeast of Abbott.
        Cheers,
        Joe
        http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
      • Anita Berka
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1 6:47 PM
          Joe,

          Speaking as a city girl, you are one sick puppy! :-) Sounds like all
          you folks who are recollecting had wonderfully full childhoods.

          Anita
        • Joe Janecka
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 2 12:08 AM
            On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:59:24 -0600, you wrote:

            >Joe
            >What a small world. Joe Petter was my (Staricek) grandfather.

            You must be Evelyn's daughter? Small world. Mother and daddy used to
            play a lot of "42' and "Straight" with Joe and Anna when we lived
            near Abbott.

            Cheers,
            Joe
            http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
          • Mary Holy
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 2 8:59 AM
              Joe
              What a small world. Joe Petter was my (Staricek) grandfather. The last
              time I remember my Staricek butchering, would have been maybe in the late
              50's, I was a small child then and remember them coming into the house for a
              container to catch the blood. Saying they needed it for the blood sausage.
              I thought that was pretty gross at my age. But knowing my (Starenka)
              grandmother she fixed it someway and we ate it. Cause Starenka never made
              anything that we didn't like. Hopefully I spelled Staricek and Starenka
              right. That's all I knew them as all my life, till I was much older and
              realized that it meant they where my grandparents.
              Some where in my mind, I remember something about some Janecka people coming
              to their house off and on. But that has been so long ago. My Staricek has
              been gone almost 29 years now.
              Mary (Soukup) Holy

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 2 12:52 PM
                Joe
                Yes, I am Evelyn's daughter. After I think about it, I believe I remember
                you coming with them a few times. I don't remember your dad real well, but
                I remember your mom. I always thought she had a real strong Czech accent.
                But of course my Starenka spoke mainly Czech, I really don't remember
                saying any English. My Staricek spoke mainly Czech with a little English.
                Most of the time my mom would tell us what they said, if they thought we
                needed to know. I guess the reason my mom and dad didn't teach us Czech,
                was because when Mom started to school, she only knew how to speak Czech.
                She had a hard time learning English when she started to school. We did
                learn a little Czech.

                I remember them playing "42" and "Straight". We always had to be quite, if
                we where visiting. They had two rocking chairs in the back bedroom, that
                where always brought into the living room, when they had company, to play
                "42" and "Straight". I now own one of those special rocking chairs.

                Mary (Soukup) Holy