Butchering

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2002
      Well, we still butcher a chicken once in a while and processed the buck my son shot this last season at home, does that count any for a connection to "the good ole days?" (smile)

      For those who find reading about methods of dispatching animals unpleasant, please don't read on.

      Now that this type of subject has been opened? Can anyone tell me how to humanely (?) kill a large fish without shooting it?

      The reason I ask is that I trotline fish to feed the family at gatherings. Sometimes I will have around 20 blue cats that weigh over three pounds. I don't have the arm strength to break all those necks. The old family method calls for making a slit between the eyes, inserting steel leader, and running up through the brain and spinal canal. This is sometimes difficult to do.

      Any other ideas?

      Susan