Re: [TexasCzechs] Texas Czech Demonstrations

  • Mary Holy
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
      Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
      Mary (Soukup) Holy

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Joe Janecka" <a0010631@...>
      To: <TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 1:21 AM
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Texas Czech Demonstrations

> [...]
      > oils. :-)) No wonder those people lived into their 90's.
      >
      > Sensitive folks please read no further. The rest of this is tough!!
      >
      > Sorry feminists, but the preparing of casings for sausage was
      > "woman's" work. (This was the old days, remember?) Nah! Actually the
      > men did the initial preparation, if you get what I mean. Then the
      > ladies took over. Remember the carved wooden scrapers the ladies used?
      >
      > Hogs were not easy to dispatch. A 22 calibre is usually not powerful
      > enough. Dad would open up a shotgun shell, melt the buckshot and cast
      > it into a single slug. Then wrap it in silk cloth and re-load the
      > shell. That worked every time. Quick knife work was next so the
      > blood could be caught in a bowl and constantly stirred with salt so it
      > wouldn't coagulate. This was later cooked with barley and spices,
      > (and perhaps other stuff--I don't know the exact recipe), to make
      > blood sausage which we called "jelita". (yell-e-ta).
      >
      > Several cookings were made in the kettle. First was the scalding
      > water used to loosen the hair for scraping and washing the hog. Next
      > was the cooking of the head, glands, etc. for the making of the head
      > or liver sausage, whatever you want to call it. We called them
      > jitrnice. (yee-trr-nyi-tse). Next came the cooking of the ears, feet,
      > etc. for the making of head cheese, or "sultz' in Czech. Finally, of
      > course, was the rendering of the lard.
      >
      > The hog was sectioned to recover the major cuts of meat, such as the
      > hams, loins, ribs, bacon, jowl, and foreleg shanks. Meat scraps and
      > sometimes the foreleg shanks were ground up for the regular sausage.
      > This sausage was really the good stuff. I have yet to find any
      > sausage, anywhere in Texas, as good as Albin or Joe Petter used to
      > make. There is just no comparison. I wish I knew their recipes.
      >
      > Kids today would gag at what we found delicious back in the old days.
      > Brains scrambled with eggs were usually for breakfast the day
      > following "hog killin". (They don't keep long without refrigeration.)
      > The next day's breakfast might be "sweet breads" with eggs. That's
      > not pastry!) After the smoking process was over, the jowl was thick
      > sliced and fried up like bacon for breakfast. Nothing better than
      > fried jowl,"podbradek", homemade bread spread with thick sour cream,
      > and homemade "melas", (molasses), for breakfast. And for dinner, which
      > we ate at dinner time, not at supper time, we might have tripe soup,
      > followed by tongue diced and cooked in a sour cream sauce, skillet
      > fried potatoes and home-canned green beans. Good eating!!
      >
      > Of course, the dogs had a field day at hog killin time. They got all
      > the droppings, excess fat, unedibles, etc. The cracklings that we
      > didn't eat were saved to be cooked with ground corn meal as mush for
      > the dogs. Store bought dog food was unheard of. The mush
      > supplemented their diet of chicken heads, entrails, and an occasional
      > rabbit they caught. They were tough!
      >
      > Oh well, chow time. Gotta go. Bon appetit!

    • Joe Janecka
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:28:06 -0600, you wrote:

        >Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
        >Mary (Soukup) Holy

        Albin lived just a little south of West and Joe lived about 2 miles SW
        of Abbott.
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
          On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 19:29:09 -0600, you wrote:

          >>Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
          >>Mary (Soukup) Holy
          >
          >Albin lived just a little south of West and Joe lived about 2 miles SW
          >of Abbott.

          Whoops! I meant 2 miles southeast of Abbott.
          Cheers,
          Joe
          http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
        • Anita Berka
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
            Joe,

            Speaking as a city girl, you are one sick puppy! :-) Sounds like all
            you folks who are recollecting had wonderfully full childhoods.

            Anita
          • Joe Janecka
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 2, 2002
              On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:59:24 -0600, you wrote:

              >Joe
              >What a small world. Joe Petter was my (Staricek) grandfather.

              You must be Evelyn's daughter? Small world. Mother and daddy used to
              play a lot of "42' and "Straight" with Joe and Anna when we lived
              near Abbott.

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 2, 2002
                Joe
                What a small world. Joe Petter was my (Staricek) grandfather. The last
                time I remember my Staricek butchering, would have been maybe in the late
                50's, I was a small child then and remember them coming into the house for a
                container to catch the blood. Saying they needed it for the blood sausage.
                I thought that was pretty gross at my age. But knowing my (Starenka)
                grandmother she fixed it someway and we ate it. Cause Starenka never made
                anything that we didn't like. Hopefully I spelled Staricek and Starenka
                right. That's all I knew them as all my life, till I was much older and
                realized that it meant they where my grandparents.
                Some where in my mind, I remember something about some Janecka people coming
                to their house off and on. But that has been so long ago. My Staricek has
                been gone almost 29 years now.
                Mary (Soukup) Holy

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 2, 2002
                  Joe
                  Yes, I am Evelyn's daughter. After I think about it, I believe I remember
                  you coming with them a few times. I don't remember your dad real well, but
                  I remember your mom. I always thought she had a real strong Czech accent.
                  But of course my Starenka spoke mainly Czech, I really don't remember
                  saying any English. My Staricek spoke mainly Czech with a little English.
                  Most of the time my mom would tell us what they said, if they thought we
                  needed to know. I guess the reason my mom and dad didn't teach us Czech,
                  was because when Mom started to school, she only knew how to speak Czech.
                  She had a hard time learning English when she started to school. We did
                  learn a little Czech.

                  I remember them playing "42" and "Straight". We always had to be quite, if
                  we where visiting. They had two rocking chairs in the back bedroom, that
                  where always brought into the living room, when they had company, to play
                  "42" and "Straight". I now own one of those special rocking chairs.

                  Mary (Soukup) Holy