Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: hog butchering & TCH demos

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2002
      On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:35:35 -0600, George wrote:

      > My cousins and I collected what they left in soda
      >bottles and broke off some of the chewing tobacco someone accidently left on
      >the porch and, that was what we took to the barn. Somehow, looking back, I
      >think they knew what we were doing???
      >
      >Happy Retirement,
      >
      >George

      Rumpled cedar bark was my tobacco. Had to roll it in tablet paper
      since dad smoked a pipe and didn't have cigarette papers I could
      snitch.

      Were we cool or what?
      Cheers,
      Joe
      http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
    • richardkotrla
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
        I remember butchering hogs at my Grandpa Kristof's place outside
        Caldwell. I was pretty young, but I still remember the activities.
        I too got to crank the sausage grinder. I also got to rinse out the
        casings, formerly known as intestines when they were in the now-
        deceased hog. I believed my dad and grandpa used a sledgehammer
        applied to exactly the right spot to killd the hog. Homemade
        sausage...none better. I do have fond memories, and would like to
        do it again, just for the memories.

        Richard Kotrla

        --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Pat Lyon" <patsroar@h...> wrote:
        > I was too young to be included in the hog butchering when we did
        it.
      • miladyolga@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
          Richard,
              I also have fond memories of hog butchering but knowing that this Sunday the weather is going to be in the 20's at night would be a good time to hang the hog from the block and tackle in the largest tree in the yard and complete the work the next day.  We would kill several in one day and it was an all day affair.  I think everyone should have that big black pot in their back yard as a reminder.  Knowing that the weather is going to be so cold this Sunday I don't think I'm ready to go back and freeze outside doing all that work.  And it was alot of work.  Sounds like this topic has alot of us going down memory lane.  Those were the days.....
        • richardkotrla
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
            Debra:

            Your mention of the block and tackle brought back memories in regard
            to that. I do believe that's how the poor hog who met his death for
            us was strung up. I have fond memories of the smokeshouse. That had
            to be the best smelling place. We would go in there and just soak up
            the aroma. Someone talked about processing chickens. I remember
            chopping a few heads off and then boiling them in preparation of
            picking the feathers off. Never did like that job as I always left a
            few on and got hollered at.

            Richard

            --- In TexasCzechs@y..., miladyolga@a... wrote:
            > Richard,
            > I also have fond memories of hog butchering but knowing that
            this Sunday
            > the weather is going to be in the 20's at night would be a good
            time to hang
            > the hog from the block and tackle in the largest tree in the yard
            and
            > complete the work the next day.
          • Edward Kadlecek
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2002
              George;
              I know where Rogers is located. I dated a girl from there. I'm also
              familiar with Zabcikville and Radibar (sic?)where we took the cotton to gin,
              swam in the tank and had a "big red" soda before the trek back to the farm
              on the empty wagon behind the tractor. Nothing like a full moon on the way
              back through the countryside.
              Our wine at butcherin' time was what we could sneak out from Grandpa's
              batch made earlier from Mustang (or Muscadyne) grapes that grew wild in the
              pasture and along the fence line. My cousins and I did the pickin' under
              Grandpa's direction from below which was directed in Czech and enforced with
              a willow branch (switch ??). We too used soda bottles to put it in with wax
              paper around whittled wood stoppers to cap it. Burying it down by the well
              was the coolest spot for it.
              Grandpa grew his tobacco for the whole family there on the black land
              farm above the vegetable garden. After curing, our job was to clean and cut
              the leafs, then roll cigarettes in an old TARGET Cigarette rolling machine
              (how many of you remember those ??)for all of our dads and uncles. Grandpa
              only smoked a beautiful old pipe brought with him from Czechoslovakia. We
              wore out many of the rolling belts on that machine and of course, managed to
              get plenty of leavins' for ourselves.
              One other thing on the hog butchering - - (I loved the tongue stew,
              "across the belly", jetrnisse (sic?) and brains and eggs too but few believe
              we actually did this) we storaged a lot of it in the big ceramic crocks
              packed in the lard. Each crock at home back in the city had it's own paper
              index of what was in it and where. Our job ?? Mom told us what to go get
              when she wanted to prepare it. Everything was prepared with lard. When I was
              checked in 96 for cholestoral, it registered 386. I had a triple bypass
              shortly thereafter. I still love it !!!
              P.S. CURLY's Meat Market down by the old MKT terminal in Temple still has
              (had?) good Czech liver sausage.
              Ed

              >From: "george patrick" <GPATRICK@...>
              >To: <TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: hog butchering & TCH demos
              >Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:35:35 -0600
              >
              >Edward,
              >
              >I was born in Rogers which is just a few miles outside of Temple. My
              >father's people were Stepan, Petrek, Zabcik, among others. My family moved
              >to Calhoun Co. when I was very young but we returned to Bell County a
              >couple
              >of times a year to visit my Grandmother Petrek who lived on a farm in
              >Edgeworth. Although my family changed Petrek to Patrick shortly after I
              >was
              >born, my father never gave up his Czech ways. For that, I do owe him a
              >debt
              >of graditude.
              >
              >We didn't have access to wine or smoking tobacco but , as you know, Czech
              >men are neat. When they finish a beer they don't toss the bottles away.
              >They replaced the empties in the case. Seems like they always left a few
              >sips in the empty. My cousins and I collected what they left in soda
              >bottles and broke off some of the chewing tobacco someone accidently left
              >on
              >the porch and, that was what we took to the barn. Somehow, looking back, I
              >think they knew what we were doing???
              >
              >Happy Retirement,
              >
              >George

            • Brian Mabry
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2002
                Anyone ever hear of eating hog's blood and rice
                together? I know someone mentioned blood sausage
                earlier. My mom says that's what some people used to
                do. *shudders at the thought* :)

                --- Edward Kadlecek <kadlecekej@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >born, my father never gave up his Czech ways. For
                > that, I do owe him a
                > >debt
                > >of graditude.
                > >
                > >We didn't have access to wine or smoking tobacco
                > but , as you know, Czech
                > >men are neat. When they finish a beer they don't
                > toss the bottles away.
                > >They replaced the empties in the case. Seems like
                > they always left a few
                > >sips in the empty. My cousins and I collected what
                > they left in soda
                > >bottles and broke off some of the chewing tobacco
                > someone accidently left
                > >on
                > >the porch and, that was what we took to the barn.
                > Somehow, looking back, I
                > >think they knew what we were doing???
                > >
                > >Happy Retirement,
                > >
                > >George

                > MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print

                http://mail.yahoo.com/
              • george patrick
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 10, 2002
                  Yak Se Mas, Ed,

                  My brother and I stopped at the Kolache Kitchen in Temple on the way to
                  visit my mom and that was on the door as we went in. I think it means How
                  Are You? or something like that.

                  If I recall, in front of the gin at Zabcikville was a little beer joint. As
                  you walk in the front door and turn right, down the hall, and turn right
                  again, you enter a small room about the size of a walk-in closet. There was
                  the nickle slot machine into which I put many mickles while my dad drank
                  beer with his old friends and relatives. The cotton farmer who leased my
                  grandmothers farm had his cotton ginned at the Co-op gin in Edgeworth. I'm
                  not real sure but I've heard it said that my GG Grandfather, Jan Zabcik, had
                  something to do with starting that gin at Zabcikville. His daughter, Marie,
                  married my G Grandfather, Martin Stepan, and their oldest child, Mary, is
                  my grandmother. My dad was born at his uncle's house, John and Lucy
                  Stepan, a bit down the road from Zabcikville in Ocker. Uncle John was a
                  farmer and minister who founded the Ocker Luthern Church.

                  I enjoyed the memories. Keep in touch.