Re: [TexasCzechs] Texas Czech Demonstrations

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28 11:21 PM
      On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 07:30:03 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

      >Would that be something like oshkvadek?
      >
      >--- george patrick <GPATRICK@...> wrote:
      > I'm
      >> not sure if the term is Czech, English, or slang,
      >> but, we called the crispy pork skins "chitlins".
      >> Not only were they good eating, they were also used
      >> to make "cracklin bread".

      We called them "oskvarky" with a hacek over the 's'.

      You folks have really been jogging my memory of the old times, ala
      1940's BE. (Before Electricity!) And old men love to reminisce.

      It's "hog killin' time" and the Petters would come over to help us.
      They were our friends and the best sausage makers in the world.
      "Budem zabyjet prasata!"

      I won't repeat the process as everyone else has described adequately,
      but yes, I do remember the old black kettle, (which also doubled as a
      clothes washtub), pulling water out of the well by the bucketful,
      scraping the hog, etc.

      The rendered lard was not only used to make the homemade soap, but was
      used extensively in cooking. You haven't eaten fried chicken until
      you have eaten some skillet fried in "hog fat". Mm mm, good!
      This was in the days before Crisco, which precedes Canola and Olive
      oils. :-)) No wonder those people lived into their 90's.

      Sensitive folks please read no further. The rest of this is tough!!

      Sorry feminists, but the preparing of casings for sausage was
      "woman's" work. (This was the old days, remember?) Nah! Actually the
      men did the initial preparation, if you get what I mean. Then the
      ladies took over. Remember the carved wooden scrapers the ladies used?

      Hogs were not easy to dispatch. A 22 calibre is usually not powerful
      enough. Dad would open up a shotgun shell, melt the buckshot and cast
      it into a single slug. Then wrap it in silk cloth and re-load the
      shell. That worked every time. Quick knife work was next so the
      blood could be caught in a bowl and constantly stirred with salt so it
      wouldn't coagulate. This was later cooked with barley and spices,
      (and perhaps other stuff--I don't know the exact recipe), to make
      blood sausage which we called "jelita". (yell-e-ta).

      Several cookings were made in the kettle. First was the scalding
      water used to loosen the hair for scraping and washing the hog. Next
      was the cooking of the head, glands, etc. for the making of the head
      or liver sausage, whatever you want to call it. We called them
      jitrnice. (yee-trr-nyi-tse). Next came the cooking of the ears, feet,
      etc. for the making of head cheese, or "sultz' in Czech. Finally, of
      course, was the rendering of the lard.

      The hog was sectioned to recover the major cuts of meat, such as the
      hams, loins, ribs, bacon, jowl, and foreleg shanks. Meat scraps and
      sometimes the foreleg shanks were ground up for the regular sausage.
      This sausage was really the good stuff. I have yet to find any
      sausage, anywhere in Texas, as good as Albin or Joe Petter used to
      make. There is just no comparison. I wish I knew their recipes.

      Kids today would gag at what we found delicious back in the old days.
      Brains scrambled with eggs were usually for breakfast the day
      following "hog killin". (They don't keep long without refrigeration.)
      The next day's breakfast might be "sweet breads" with eggs. That's
      not pastry!) After the smoking process was over, the jowl was thick
      sliced and fried up like bacon for breakfast. Nothing better than
      fried jowl,"podbradek", homemade bread spread with thick sour cream,
      and homemade "melas", (molasses), for breakfast. And for dinner, which
      we ate at dinner time, not at supper time, we might have tripe soup,
      followed by tongue diced and cooked in a sour cream sauce, skillet
      fried potatoes and home-canned green beans. Good eating!!

      Of course, the dogs had a field day at hog killin time. They got all
      the droppings, excess fat, unedibles, etc. The cracklings that we
      didn't eat were saved to be cooked with ground corn meal as mush for
      the dogs. Store bought dog food was unheard of. The mush
      supplemented their diet of chicken heads, entrails, and an occasional
      rabbit they caught. They were tough!

      Oh well, chow time. Gotta go. Bon appetit!

      Cheers,
      Joe
      http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
    • george patrick
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
        I don't know, brian. Sorry to say I don't know Czech. Perhaps someone
        else on the list may know.

        By the way, you said your Mother was from Rogers. What was her maiden name?

        George
        > > not sure if the term is Czech, English, or slang,
        > > but, we called the crispy pork skins "chitlins".
        > > Not only were they good eating, they were also used
        > > to make "cracklin bread".

      • Brian Mabry
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
          George,
          It was Pechal.
          Brian

          --- george patrick <GPATRICK@...> wrote:
          > I don't know, brian. Sorry to say I don't know
          > Czech. Perhaps someone
          > else on the list may know.
          >
          > By the way, you said your Mother was from Rogers.
          > What was her maiden name?
          >
          > George

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Mary Holy
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
            Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
            Mary (Soukup) Holy

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
              On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:28:06 -0600, you wrote:

              >Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
              >Mary (Soukup) Holy

              Albin lived just a little south of West and Joe lived about 2 miles SW
              of Abbott.
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 19:29:09 -0600, you wrote:

                >>Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
                >>Mary (Soukup) Holy
                >
                >Albin lived just a little south of West and Joe lived about 2 miles SW
                >of Abbott.

                Whoops! I meant 2 miles southeast of Abbott.
                Cheers,
                Joe
                http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
              • Anita Berka
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                  Joe,

                  Speaking as a city girl, you are one sick puppy! :-) Sounds like all
                  you folks who are recollecting had wonderfully full childhoods.

                  Anita
                • Joe Janecka
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 2, 2002
                    On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:59:24 -0600, you wrote:

                    >Joe
                    >What a small world. Joe Petter was my (Staricek) grandfather.

                    You must be Evelyn's daughter? Small world. Mother and daddy used to
                    play a lot of "42' and "Straight" with Joe and Anna when we lived
                    near Abbott.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 2, 2002
                      Joe
                      What a small world. Joe Petter was my (Staricek) grandfather. The last
                      time I remember my Staricek butchering, would have been maybe in the late
                      50's, I was a small child then and remember them coming into the house for a
                      container to catch the blood. Saying they needed it for the blood sausage.
                      I thought that was pretty gross at my age. But knowing my (Starenka)
                      grandmother she fixed it someway and we ate it. Cause Starenka never made
                      anything that we didn't like. Hopefully I spelled Staricek and Starenka
                      right. That's all I knew them as all my life, till I was much older and
                      realized that it meant they where my grandparents.
                      Some where in my mind, I remember something about some Janecka people coming
                      to their house off and on. But that has been so long ago. My Staricek has
                      been gone almost 29 years now.
                      Mary (Soukup) Holy

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 2, 2002
                        Joe
                        Yes, I am Evelyn's daughter. After I think about it, I believe I remember
                        you coming with them a few times. I don't remember your dad real well, but
                        I remember your mom. I always thought she had a real strong Czech accent.
                        But of course my Starenka spoke mainly Czech, I really don't remember
                        saying any English. My Staricek spoke mainly Czech with a little English.
                        Most of the time my mom would tell us what they said, if they thought we
                        needed to know. I guess the reason my mom and dad didn't teach us Czech,
                        was because when Mom started to school, she only knew how to speak Czech.
                        She had a hard time learning English when she started to school. We did
                        learn a little Czech.

                        I remember them playing "42" and "Straight". We always had to be quite, if
                        we where visiting. They had two rocking chairs in the back bedroom, that
                        where always brought into the living room, when they had company, to play
                        "42" and "Straight". I now own one of those special rocking chairs.

                        Mary (Soukup) Holy