Texas Czech Demonstrations

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 25, 2002
      The Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center (TCHCC) is La Grange is looking for individuals who still carry the knowledge of the "old ways" for demonstrations at the TCHCC.  For instance, Richard Pavlicek, the President of the Travis and Williamson County Chapter of the CHS, is trying to obtain a "model" so he can demonstrate "scraping" and butchering a hog. Richard speaks fluent Czech and will intersperse Czech words in his presentation.  Yours truly, the ever adventurous, has volunteered to help Richard.

      We are also looking at having an operational forge and bellows going with my teen-age son operating it and casting "coins."

      Anybody on this list want to make Sauer kraut or egg noodles?

      We are also looking at my niece doing tatting demonstrations. The problem is that she currently lives in Colorado.  Does anyone on this list weave or crochet?

      I'll even provide a Radegast beer to anyone who conducts a demonstration at the October Czech Fest.

      Life is too short not to live it as a Texas Czech. Come on and have a little fun carrying forward our ethnic identity!
      Susan
    • george patrick
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 26, 2002
        Susan,

        As part of the pig butchering demo., please remind Richard of the "bladder ball" reward that the youngsters got for helping to gather wood to fuel the fire under the 55 gallon oil drum containing the boiling water into which the hog was lowered by block and tackle.  This dipping process was necessary in making it possible to scrape the hair from the skin.  The final use for the boiling water was to cleanse the pig's bladder so that it could be tied into a balloonlike ball and filled with air.  Never thought about it but, possibly, this may have been the original "pig skin" football.

        My 100 % Moravian father was always given the head of the hog from which he made "head cheese" and home-made chili.  He also did some things with the brain, tongue  and such which I will not get into here.

        He had his own way of making sauer kraut .  He kept a large ceramic container((probaby about 3 gallons or so) in the smokehouse.  He had an attachment for his sausage grinder in which he prepared cabbage--I remember turning the crank for him while he feed the cabbage into the grinder.  Next, in a large tub or bucket, he would have me scrub cucumbers until all of the "stickery" things were completely gone.  While I was doing that, he would be boiling a huge pot of salt water "brine SP".  When all was readied, he would layer the cabbage and cucumbers in the kraut crock, getting each layer just so.  When he finished that, he poured the boiling salt water over the mixture, placed a heavy dinner plate on top, and weighted it down with a large rock or brick.  The crock stayed in the smokehouse because my English mother wouldn't let him bring the stinky thing in the house.    To open that crock and reach down through the kraut and get one of those big, sour pickles was a far-more pleasant experience than going to the "Dairy Queen".

        My last memory of hog butchering was on my English grandfather's farm in Calhoun county.  His family had always been inn keepers but he always wanted to be a farmer.  He also always wanted to get things done very quickly.  Evidently, he had not prepared a good foundation for the 55 gallon drum of hot, boiling water to rest on securely.  As the hog was lowered into the boiling water, the drum tipped over on him, causing considerable burns.  Like true farmers, as soon as he was taken care of, the rest of the family finished the task.  He recovered but that was the last year anyone in the family butchered.

        One other suggestion.  Do you remember when the grandmothers made colaches they always seemed to have a bit of dough left over?  My grandmother patted this dough out into things about the size of a pancake.  She dropped the dough into a pot of hot, boiling "lard" for a few minutes.  When they were done they were a crispy brown.  She would drop them , one at a time, into a paper bag containing sugar and cinamon and shake them around for a second or two.  She would serve them to us while they were still hot and crispy.  I believe she called them "kobleke" , phoneticaly pronounced :  ko-blee-key.

        Have fun,

        George

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 27, 2002
          George/Susan:  My recollection of hog butchering is a little different.  The hog was placed on a sled and pulled next to the black crock pot that was used to boil water.  My job as a young kid was to make sure the wood was split properly and the water was kept very hot.  We would dip the water out of the pot with wood handle buckets and pour it over the hog.  Then we would use knifes to scrape the hair off.  Finally using that hot water again to make sure it was clean.  When hung on the tree then again, hot water to clean.  After the hog was skinned we cut the rind into small pieces and put in the the hot water to make pork rinds (there is a czech word for that but I can remember--something like
          o-squar-kee).  I'd always have to taste some and usually ended up with a belly ache.

          We also took the head and used all the parts (eyes, ears, nose, jowl, etc) mixed it with either barley or rice and made head sausage (some poured blood into it and made blood sausage).  Again, hot water came into play.  Part of my job was to take the hogs intestines and clean them so we could use that to put the above mixture into it.  Again, a good name (something like e-ter-netsee).  Good stuff if you can stand the smell.  In fact, a friend of ours still makes them and we received 6 of them this week-end.

          My wife said she remembers "kobleke" but she said it was made from different dough, not kolache dough.  Cooked prunes were placed inside the dough and made into a round ball, then boiled in lard, then sprinkled with sugar and cinammon.  Wow was that good.  My wife asked me to ask if anyone has the receipe for making kobleke?????

          Gilbert Bohuslav

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
            Gilbert -
            Your recollection of hog butchering sounds very familiar to how my
            mom and dad did it (in Ammannsville). My uncle and aunt always
            helped my mom and dad and vice versa - my cousin and I loved that -
            we'd get to play. We were young when they did all the
            butchering. And yes the jiternice was the best part - for
            breakfast! We now buy them at Kasper's Meat Market since we don't
            know anyone that butchers hogs anymore, at least not in our
            family. And yes, the pork skins we kept in a crock. I now have
            about three of the crocks that I use in the house. One holds all
            our Texas Polka News issues. The other has the Cesky Hlas. The
            pork was so good, so fresh. But it was a lot of work too! Now
            whenever a cold norther blows in, my husband and I make comments
            that it reminds us of 'hog butchering' days. You just never
            forget your roots!! and we don't want to either!
            Julie Herzik Matus

            Researching:
            Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala,
            Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

            From: Gilbert Bohuslav <bohuslav@...>
            Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:41:04 -0600

> [...]
            >> suggestion. Do you remember when the grandmothers made
            colaches they
            >> always seemed to have a bit of dough left over? My grandmother
            patted
            >> this dough out into things about the size of a pancake. She
            dropped
            >> the dough into a pot of hot, boiling "lard" for a few minutes.
            When
            >> they were done they were a crispy brown. She would drop them ,
            one at
            >> a time, into a paper bag containing sugar and cinamon and shake
            them
            >> around for a second or two. She would serve them to us while
            they
            >> were still hot and crispy. I believe she called
            them "kobleke" ,
            >> phoneticaly pronounced : ko-blee-key. Have fun, George

            Service.

            Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net
          • george patrick
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
              Gilbert,

              Even though the methods were a bit different, it sounds like we both have some fond memories of hog butchering.  Butchering never happened until the first real cold  "Norther" blew in--I suppose the cold help preserve the  meat but it sure made one's hands hurt when working in water.  I didn't mention the intestines part because I wasn't for sure how many of our city -grown friends on the group knew what sausage is encased in.  I, too, remember this task a bit less fondly than other memories.

              It seems to me that once all the hair was scraped from the skin, the majority of all the fat attached to the skin (other than the bacon) was cut in to cubes and cooked off in a large cast iron pot.  I'm not sure if the term is Czech, English, or slang, but, we called the crispy pork  skins "chitlins".  Not only were they good eating, they were also used to make  "cracklin bread".

              After the cracklins were removed from the pot, there remained a pot full of lard, much of which was used to make homemade lye soap.  The ash from under the pot was sifted through a screen so that only the fine ash particles were collected.  I don't remember the formula, but, a can or two of "Red Devil lye" and a portion of the finely sifted ash were added to the hot, boiling lard.  When my grandmother said it was done, it was, but Lord only knows how she knew that.  As it cooled the mixture hardened into a soap-like consistency.  It was cut in to bars, some of which were grated into flakes for use in washing dishes, clothes, etc.

              I do remember the fruit-filled fried goodies but , now that you mention it, I think she had another name for these.

              I hope folks don't think we are yearning to go back to the good old days , even though breakfast of fresh tender loin, fried eggs, hot homemade biscuits with some freshly picked canaloupe is hard to match,butchering was one hard days work for everyone.  I had just as soon buy my sausage at Myer's Meat Market in Elgin.

              Thanks for the memories,

              George

[...]

            • Joe Janecka
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 28, 2002
                On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 07:30:03 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                >Would that be something like oshkvadek?
                >
                >--- george patrick <GPATRICK@...> wrote:
                > I'm
                >> not sure if the term is Czech, English, or slang,
                >> but, we called the crispy pork skins "chitlins".
                >> Not only were they good eating, they were also used
                >> to make "cracklin bread".

                We called them "oskvarky" with a hacek over the 's'.

                You folks have really been jogging my memory of the old times, ala
                1940's BE. (Before Electricity!) And old men love to reminisce.

                It's "hog killin' time" and the Petters would come over to help us.
                They were our friends and the best sausage makers in the world.
                "Budem zabyjet prasata!"

                I won't repeat the process as everyone else has described adequately,
                but yes, I do remember the old black kettle, (which also doubled as a
                clothes washtub), pulling water out of the well by the bucketful,
                scraping the hog, etc.

                The rendered lard was not only used to make the homemade soap, but was
                used extensively in cooking. You haven't eaten fried chicken until
                you have eaten some skillet fried in "hog fat". Mm mm, good!
                This was in the days before Crisco, which precedes Canola and Olive
                oils. :-)) No wonder those people lived into their 90's.

                Sensitive folks please read no further. The rest of this is tough!!

                Sorry feminists, but the preparing of casings for sausage was
                "woman's" work. (This was the old days, remember?) Nah! Actually the
                men did the initial preparation, if you get what I mean. Then the
                ladies took over. Remember the carved wooden scrapers the ladies used?

                Hogs were not easy to dispatch. A 22 calibre is usually not powerful
                enough. Dad would open up a shotgun shell, melt the buckshot and cast
                it into a single slug. Then wrap it in silk cloth and re-load the
                shell. That worked every time. Quick knife work was next so the
                blood could be caught in a bowl and constantly stirred with salt so it
                wouldn't coagulate. This was later cooked with barley and spices,
                (and perhaps other stuff--I don't know the exact recipe), to make
                blood sausage which we called "jelita". (yell-e-ta).

                Several cookings were made in the kettle. First was the scalding
                water used to loosen the hair for scraping and washing the hog. Next
                was the cooking of the head, glands, etc. for the making of the head
                or liver sausage, whatever you want to call it. We called them
                jitrnice. (yee-trr-nyi-tse). Next came the cooking of the ears, feet,
                etc. for the making of head cheese, or "sultz' in Czech. Finally, of
                course, was the rendering of the lard.

                The hog was sectioned to recover the major cuts of meat, such as the
                hams, loins, ribs, bacon, jowl, and foreleg shanks. Meat scraps and
                sometimes the foreleg shanks were ground up for the regular sausage.
                This sausage was really the good stuff. I have yet to find any
                sausage, anywhere in Texas, as good as Albin or Joe Petter used to
                make. There is just no comparison. I wish I knew their recipes.

                Kids today would gag at what we found delicious back in the old days.
                Brains scrambled with eggs were usually for breakfast the day
                following "hog killin". (They don't keep long without refrigeration.)
                The next day's breakfast might be "sweet breads" with eggs. That's
                not pastry!) After the smoking process was over, the jowl was thick
                sliced and fried up like bacon for breakfast. Nothing better than
                fried jowl,"podbradek", homemade bread spread with thick sour cream,
                and homemade "melas", (molasses), for breakfast. And for dinner, which
                we ate at dinner time, not at supper time, we might have tripe soup,
                followed by tongue diced and cooked in a sour cream sauce, skillet
                fried potatoes and home-canned green beans. Good eating!!

                Of course, the dogs had a field day at hog killin time. They got all
                the droppings, excess fat, unedibles, etc. The cracklings that we
                didn't eat were saved to be cooked with ground corn meal as mush for
                the dogs. Store bought dog food was unheard of. The mush
                supplemented their diet of chicken heads, entrails, and an occasional
                rabbit they caught. They were tough!

                Oh well, chow time. Gotta go. Bon appetit!

                Cheers,
                Joe
                http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
              • Brian Mabry
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                  Would that be something like oshkvadek?

                  --- george patrick <GPATRICK@...> wrote:
                  I'm
                  > not sure if the term is Czech, English, or slang,
                  > but, we called the crispy pork skins "chitlins".
                  > Not only were they good eating, they were also used
                  > to make "cracklin bread".

                  http://greetings.yahoo.com
                • Leona M. Urbish, Ph.D.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002

                    Gilbert,

                    This is exactly how we did it, down Hallettsville way.  I can still taste that head sausage (without the blood).  That was Daddy’s mixture and was it good!

                    Leona

                    Leona M. Urbish, Ph.D., Director

                    Office of Institutional Research

                    Rice University

                    P. O. Box 1892

                    Houston, TX 77251-1892

                    713-348-6258 (o) - 713-348-6252 (fax)

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                      I don't know, brian. Sorry to say I don't know Czech. Perhaps someone
                      else on the list may know.

                      By the way, you said your Mother was from Rogers. What was her maiden name?

                      George
                      > > not sure if the term is Czech, English, or slang,
                      > > but, we called the crispy pork skins "chitlins".
                      > > Not only were they good eating, they were also used
                      > > to make "cracklin bread".

                    • Brian Mabry
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                        George,
                        It was Pechal.
                        Brian

                        --- george patrick <GPATRICK@...> wrote:
                        > I don't know, brian. Sorry to say I don't know
                        > Czech. Perhaps someone
                        > else on the list may know.
                        >
                        > By the way, you said your Mother was from Rogers.
                        > What was her maiden name?
                        >
                        > George

                        http://greetings.yahoo.com
                      • Mary Holy
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                          Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
                          Mary (Soukup) Holy

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                            On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:28:06 -0600, you wrote:

                            >Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
                            >Mary (Soukup) Holy

                            Albin lived just a little south of West and Joe lived about 2 miles SW
                            of Abbott.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                              On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 19:29:09 -0600, you wrote:

                              >>Where did Albin and Joe Petter live?
                              >>Mary (Soukup) Holy
                              >
                              >Albin lived just a little south of West and Joe lived about 2 miles SW
                              >of Abbott.

                              Whoops! I meant 2 miles southeast of Abbott.
                              Cheers,
                              Joe
                              http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe
                            • Anita Berka
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 1, 2002
                                Joe,

                                Speaking as a city girl, you are one sick puppy! :-) Sounds like all
                                you folks who are recollecting had wonderfully full childhoods.

                                Anita
                              • Joe Janecka
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 2, 2002
                                  On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:59:24 -0600, you wrote:

                                  >Joe
                                  >What a small world. Joe Petter was my (Staricek) grandfather.

                                  You must be Evelyn's daughter? Small world. Mother and daddy used to
                                  play a lot of "42' and "Straight" with Joe and Anna when we lived
                                  near Abbott.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 2, 2002
                                    Joe
                                    What a small world. Joe Petter was my (Staricek) grandfather. The last
                                    time I remember my Staricek butchering, would have been maybe in the late
                                    50's, I was a small child then and remember them coming into the house for a
                                    container to catch the blood. Saying they needed it for the blood sausage.
                                    I thought that was pretty gross at my age. But knowing my (Starenka)
                                    grandmother she fixed it someway and we ate it. Cause Starenka never made
                                    anything that we didn't like. Hopefully I spelled Staricek and Starenka
                                    right. That's all I knew them as all my life, till I was much older and
                                    realized that it meant they where my grandparents.
                                    Some where in my mind, I remember something about some Janecka people coming
                                    to their house off and on. But that has been so long ago. My Staricek has
                                    been gone almost 29 years now.
                                    Mary (Soukup) Holy

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 2, 2002
                                      Joe
                                      Yes, I am Evelyn's daughter. After I think about it, I believe I remember
                                      you coming with them a few times. I don't remember your dad real well, but
                                      I remember your mom. I always thought she had a real strong Czech accent.
                                      But of course my Starenka spoke mainly Czech, I really don't remember
                                      saying any English. My Staricek spoke mainly Czech with a little English.
                                      Most of the time my mom would tell us what they said, if they thought we
                                      needed to know. I guess the reason my mom and dad didn't teach us Czech,
                                      was because when Mom started to school, she only knew how to speak Czech.
                                      She had a hard time learning English when she started to school. We did
                                      learn a little Czech.

                                      I remember them playing "42" and "Straight". We always had to be quite, if
                                      we where visiting. They had two rocking chairs in the back bedroom, that
                                      where always brought into the living room, when they had company, to play
                                      "42" and "Straight". I now own one of those special rocking chairs.

                                      Mary (Soukup) Holy