Re: [TexasCzechs] Cz Fruit Dumplings

  • Mapetras5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      The best gift my Gan-gan ever gave me was showing me how to make Apple
      Strudel making a paper thin dough and Sauerkraut soup. Yum Yum, I hope she
      is reading this from above. Thanks. Oh and how to crochet when I was 5
      that's how I learned to count. LOL Still an avid thread crochet addict.

      Thanks for the recipe, I'll Share if you like or need.
      Kathie in TX
    • danbea@cvtv.net

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
          I too have many crochet items that my mother and grandmother made and I now am
          the recipient of. At one time they really didn't mean a lot too me, but now
          they are very special. Tableclothes and doilies of several sizes and shapes.
          Some are of thin thread and others are more like yarn. Some are white or pink
          while others are mixtures of orange, brown, and green. One special item is a
          sweater that my grandmother made for my oldest daughter (26 now) when she was
          born.

          My mother-in-law made "grannie" square afghans for all 13 of her grandchildren
          for christmas one year. What a special treat. Even though she has been gone
          now for 15 years, my kids still use their "special" afghans. It really meant a
          lot to them. I can crochet a little, and I know what a lot of work and love
          went into those squares.

          Another of my husband's aunts made quilt tops (and often completed them as
          quilts) for her nieces and nephews. We were fortunate enough to receive one
          that she did for the Texas Sesquecentennial??? and won a first prize for it. I
          have also made "1" quilt and know how much work is involved in that. I do take
          pride in the fact, though, that my 2 daughters (26 and 22) both have been
          interested in quilting. For a senior research project, Danna, my oldest, made
          a baby blanket size quilt to demonstrate homemaking skills and to show the
          merits of a stay at home mom. That was special to me because she is very
          bright and has a good education, but really would just as soon stay at home and
          be a wife and mother someday. The younger one also has made several small
          quilts and likes to do all the piecing by hand.

          I really think that so many of the customs have been lost in recent years
          because of the rat race world we live in. How many of the listers can say that
          they make quilts for all their nieces and nephews or afghans for their
          grandchildren. I know that I for one can't admit to that. We really have a
          lot of heritage to live up to.