Re: [TexasCzechs] Sharing your family heritage

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
      So My Dear One*, I am so delighted to hear from you. Unfortunately, I
      failed to find your name in the message. I am Susan Rektorik Henley, and I
      applaud the efforts of your Aunt Gladys, you, and your entire family!

      Now, I ask you a giant favor. Share with us, please, a little about
      yourself and then; if you would, please; share with us from your recipes
      and, if not too personal, the introduction by your Aunt Gladys.

      I know you are probably very busy but if you could take the time to share
      one recipe or one thought line from your Aunt Gladys (does your Aunt Gladys
      like to tell stories?), it would be truly appreciated.

      That is one of the wonderful gifts of a culture such as ours, our people
      share so much that when one family tells its story, it applies to most.
      Stories refresh or memories and connections. And, for those of us who have
      become separated from our heritage...it helps us reconnect to what has been
      missing.

      Hopefully,

      Susan Rektorik Henley

      * I did not mean to sound like a spider attracting a fly. In truth, you
      are a Dear One to me for I find so few who are willing to step forward and
      share their culture. Sometimes (in the past in particular) recipes were in
      the realms of women. So, there was a wonderfully rich culture which all too
      frequently fails to be noted in written works. It will be a tragedy if it
      is lost!
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
        So My Dear One*, I am so delighted to hear from you. Unfortunately, I
        failed to find your name in the message. I am Susan Rektorik Henley, and I
        applaud the efforts of your Aunt Gladys, you, and your entire family!

        Now, I ask you a giant favor. Share with us, please, a little about
        yourself and then; if you would, please; share with us from your recipes
        and, if not too personal, the introduction by your Aunt Gladys.

        I know you are probably very busy but if you could take the time to share
        one recipe or one thought line from your Aunt Gladys (does your Aunt Gladys
        like to tell stories?), it would be truly appreciated.

        That is one of the wonderful gifts of a culture such as ours, our people
        share so much that when one family tells its story, it applies to many.

      • Paula Gilbert
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
          To Susan and those who are interested: I am Paula Musil Gilbert,
          living in Wichita Falls. My mother, Mary Cuba Musil, and I happily
          drove almost 6 hours each way to attend the fantastic conference last
          weekend, and we're eager to find out the date for 2001 so we can
          make plans to attend that one.

          Both of my grandfathers emigrated to the US from Moravia - my
          paternal grandfather was Frank Joseph Musil, who arrived in 1901 one
          month before he turned 13 with his parents, brother & sister. My
          maternal grandfather, John Cuba, arrived in 1913 shortly
          before he turned 20 - yes, he was one of the many young men who were
          sent to the US in order to avoid fighting Franz Josef's wars. He
          came with his cousin Rudolph Danek and one other young man whose name
          we have been unable to discover. Both of my grandmothers (Adyna
          Slovacek and Rosalie Darilek) were born in Texas (Chriesman & Yoakum)
          and both of their fathers were immigrants.

          My branches of the Musil & Slovacek families wound up in the Stamford
          area and the Cuba & Darileks settled in Megargel (between Seymour &
          Archer City). Many families in the Megargel-Seymour-Bomarton area
          are of Czech descent. Actually, I am related to Tim Orsak (who spoke
          on traveling to the Czech Republic at the conference) in a round-
          about way - his great-aunt Angeline Cuba Hajek is my mother's oldest
          sister.

          I will post the introduction to my family cookbook as an attachment
          to another message for those of you who wish to read it. It's a Word
          97 document. If you think you see misspellings, I must warn you that
          I had to copy the letters as my grandmother wrote them - my spell
          check went crazy!

          Paula Musil Gilbert

          --- In texasczechs@egroups.com, "Susan Rektorik Henley"

        • epereira@swbell.net

            > I'd like to share a project that one branch of my family did this
            > past year.  We have annual family reunions of my Musil/Slovacek side
            > with the accompanying visiting & eating.  Last year my aunt Gladys
            > proposed compiling a "family heritage cookbook" and I volunteered to
            > be the one to put it together.  We hoped to get at least 1 or 2
            > recipes from each of the families - over a period of 2-3 months, I
            > received over 350 recipes from my relatives!  The cookbook wound up
            > covering over 200 pages, and one of my cousins designed the cover.
            >
            > Many of the recipes are truly family heirlooms: kolaches, prune
            > dumplings, bread, strudel, cakes, preparing sausage, etc.  All of the
            > old recipes were sent along with stories of our ancestors which were
            > included in the book.
            >
            > What I feel made this book special was not only the memories that
            > were shared but Aunt Gladys submitted a dedication (16 pages typed!)
            > in the form of excerpts of almost 20 years of letters from my
            > grandmother Adyna Slovacek Musil to her that went into exquisite
            > detail of her daily life, who came to visit on a particular day and
            > what food was served at meals.  I never knew these letters existed
            > until I began working on this project.  Not only did my aunt keep
            > every single letter from her mother, but when my grandmother died,
            > she discovered that every letter she sent to my grandmother was kept
            > in a box.  (I'm trying to get Aunt Gladys to let me transcribe the
            > letters.)
            >
            > The cookbook project took a lot of time, since I also did the
            > arranging of recipes and printing, but it was truly a labor of love.
            > Someday when my typing fingers are recovered, I hope to compile a
            > similar cookbook for the other side of my family (Darilek/Cuba).
            >
            > At the very least, shadow your mothers, aunts, grandmothers when they
            > cook and try to write down how they prepare your favorite foods.
            > You'll never regret it.

            Click here for Free Video!!
            http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

          • G. Martisek

              > I'd like to share a project that one branch of my family did this
              > past year.  We have annual family reunions of my Musil/Slovacek side
              > with the accompanying visiting & eating.  Last year my aunt Gladys
              > proposed compiling a "family heritage cookbook" and I volunteered to
              > be the one to put it together.  We hoped to get at least 1 or 2
              > recipes from each of the families - over a period of 2-3 months, I
              > received over 350 recipes from my relatives!  The cookbook wound up
              > covering over 200 pages, and one of my cousins designed the cover.
              >
              > Many of the recipes are truly family heirlooms: kolaches, prune
              > dumplings, bread, strudel, cakes, preparing sausage, etc.  All of the
              > old recipes were sent along with stories of our ancestors which were
              > included in the book.
              >
              > What I feel made this book special was not only the memories that
              > were shared but Aunt Gladys submitted a dedication (16 pages typed!)
              > in the form of excerpts of almost 20 years of letters from my
              > grandmother Adyna Slovacek Musil to her that went into exquisite
              > detail of her daily life, who came to visit on a particular day and
              > what food was served at meals.  I never knew these letters existed
              > until I began working on this project.  Not only did my aunt keep
              > every single letter from her mother, but when my grandmother died,
              > she discovered that every letter she sent to my grandmother was kept
              > in a box.  (I'm trying to get Aunt Gladys to let me transcribe the
              > letters.)
              >
              > The cookbook project took a lot of time, since I also did the
              > arranging of recipes and printing, but it was truly a labor of love.
              > Someday when my typing fingers are recovered, I hope to compile a
              > similar cookbook for the other side of my family (Darilek/Cuba).
              >
              > At the very least, shadow your mothers, aunts, grandmothers when they
              > cook and try to write down how they prepare your favorite foods.
              > You'll never regret it.

              Click here for Free Video!!
              http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

            • Richard Garza
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
                Hi Gerry,
                The McLennan-Hill Counties Chapter of the Czech Heritage Society of
                Texas has a pretty good one. Plenty of Czech recipes and Czech stories,
                with plenty of old-time lessons on how to make home-made soap, hog
                butchering time, etc.
                If you need a contact, let me know.

                Sharing. It's What It's All About!
                Rick Garza
                http://www.garza-zattler.homepage.com/

                On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 22:43:29 -0500 "G. Martisek" <gmartisek@...>
                writes:
                > you know of some good ones out there that have been published by
                > various Czech organizations?

                .
                Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.