Re: [TexasCzechs] Need Czech month translation

  • Richard Garza
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
      Matt,
      JUNE
      Rick Garza
      Sharing. It's what it's all about!
      http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

      .

      On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 05:08:40 -0000 "rebellous_99" <lennonluv@...>
      writes:
      > What does Cervce translate to, June or July?
      >
      > Matt
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • barbi grl
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
        cerven is june
        cervenec is july
        comes from cerveny (red)
        cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?

        --- rebellous_99 <lennonluv@...> wrote:
        > What does Cervce translate to, June or July?
        >
        > Matt

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • Richard Garza
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
          It is indeed, Leigh. Just like the man's name "Jan" becomes "Jana"
          depending on how it's used.

          On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:43:26 -0800 (PST) barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@...>
          writes:
          > cerven is june
          > cervenec is july
          > comes from cerveny (red)
          > cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?
          >
          > --- rebellous_99 <lennonluv@...> wrote:
          > > What does Cervce translate to, June or July?
          > >
          > > Matt

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • Marek Schimara
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
            barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@...> wrote:

            > cerven is june
            > cervenec is july
            > comes from cerveny (red)
            > cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?

            yes, "cervce" could be wrong typed word "cervence" which is a grammatical thing, and means IN JULY; if it was meant to be IN JUNE that would be "cervna" (from "cerven")

            Marek

            Marek Schimara
            NOV s.r.o. http://www.nov.sk

            mailto: <marek.schimara@...> ICQ: 10658030
            tel: +421 903 778 328
            <marek.schimara@...>
            <marecek@...>

            If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

            - Anonymous

          • Ruzena Hlozik
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002

               Cervenec is July, in July is v cervenci, the days in July are 1.cervence, 2. cervence ( prvniho cervence, druheho cervence....). Hope this helps!

              Rose

              barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@...> wrote:

              > cerven is june
              > cervenec is july
              > comes from cerveny (red)
              > cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?

              yes, "cervce" could be wrong typed word "cervence" which is a grammatical thing, and means IN JULY; if it was meant to be IN JUNE that would be "cervna" (from "cerven")

              Marek

              Marek Schimara
              NOV s.r.o.  http://www.nov.sk

              mailto: <marek.schimara@...>         ICQ: 10658030
                                                      tel: +421 903 778 328
                      <marek.schimara@...>
                      <marecek@...>

                 If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

                                                                 - Anonymous

              Do You Yahoo!?

            • moraw_gerik
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
                Since we are on month translation, I will add my question. On
                my gggrandmother's grave, it says "Cer". I know it is either June or
                July, but which? I am just curious. (I know, I know...verify this
                more.....you don't have to tell me.....twice) ;-)

                Heather
              • John L. Mikeska
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
                  Heather,

                  With all the activity on CZ spelling of June and July, plus what I found excellent replies, I bet you hesitated about posting this message, huh?   Well, we might all be surprised at what answer will be received.  I have found the replies very informative and interesting.

                  Sir John

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 5, 2002
                    On 5 Feb 2002 15:55:38 -0000, you wrote:

                    >Since we are on month translation, I will add my question. On
                    >my gggrandmother's grave, it says "Cer". I know it is either June or
                    >July, but which? I am just curious. (I know, I know...verify this
                    >more.....you don't have to tell me.....twice) ;-)
                    >
                    >Heather

                    Hi Heather,

                    It's going to be difficult to figure this out, but here are some tips.

                    As stated previously,
                    cerven is June
                    cervenec is July

                    There is only two letters difference between the two words, so if you
                    can read the first six letters, you still don't know the answer.
                    You might be able to measure the space occupied by the letters "cer"
                    with a ruler and then see if there is enough space for either 3 more
                    or 5 more letters before the "year" numbers. Does that make sense?

                    Most Czech tombstones would probably be written something like:
                    (Example)

                    "Zemrela 12 Cer______ 1895"

                    If the letters "Cer" take up 3 inches and the space between the "r"
                    and 1895 is 6 inches then there are probably 5 more letters plus a
                    space and the answer would be Cervenec. Correct Czech it would more
                    than likely be "Cervence"(July). And if the space is only 4 inches it
                    would probably be "Cervna"(June).

                    You might also try a pencil rubbing of the area on the tombstone. It
                    might help in reading it.

                    Looking at the inscription from a sharp angle might allow shadows to
                    come into play and allow you to read it easier than looking at it
                    "head on".

                    Of course, the "Cer" might be an abbreviation, and I know nothing
                    about Czech abbreviations.

                    Good luck and let us know how you come out.
                    Cheers,
                    Joe
                    http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe