Re: [TexasCzechs] Need Czech month translation

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1 9:27 PM
      Rebellous,

      My Czech calendar shows June as Cerven and July as Cervenec.  Both Czech dates have the hazak (?) "v" over the first 'C' of each month.

      Sir John

      What does Cervce translate to, June or July?

      Matt

    • rebellous_99
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1 9:38 PM
        Thanks Sir John.

        Matt
        The obit King

        --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "John L. Mikeska" <jlmikeska@y...> wrote:
        > Rebellous,
        >
        > My Czech calendar shows June as Cerven and July as Cervenec. Both
        Czech dates have the hazak (?) "v" over the first 'C' of each month.

        > Sir John

        Service.
      • Richard Garza
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1 10:29 PM
          Matt,
          JUNE
          Rick Garza
          Sharing. It's what it's all about!
          http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

          .

          On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 05:08:40 -0000 "rebellous_99" <lennonluv@...>
          writes:
          > What does Cervce translate to, June or July?
          >
          > Matt
          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • barbi grl
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4 12:43 AM
            cerven is june
            cervenec is july
            comes from cerveny (red)
            cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?

            --- rebellous_99 <lennonluv@...> wrote:
            > What does Cervce translate to, June or July?
            >
            > Matt

            http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • Richard Garza
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4 12:52 AM
              It is indeed, Leigh. Just like the man's name "Jan" becomes "Jana"
              depending on how it's used.

              On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:43:26 -0800 (PST) barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@...>
              writes:
              > cerven is june
              > cervenec is july
              > comes from cerveny (red)
              > cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?
              >
              > --- rebellous_99 <lennonluv@...> wrote:
              > > What does Cervce translate to, June or July?
              > >
              > > Matt

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • Marek Schimara
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4 5:22 AM
                barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@...> wrote:

                > cerven is june
                > cervenec is july
                > comes from cerveny (red)
                > cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?

                yes, "cervce" could be wrong typed word "cervence" which is a grammatical thing, and means IN JULY; if it was meant to be IN JUNE that would be "cervna" (from "cerven")

                Marek

                Marek Schimara
                NOV s.r.o. http://www.nov.sk

                mailto: <marek.schimara@...> ICQ: 10658030
                tel: +421 903 778 328
                <marek.schimara@...>
                <marecek@...>

                If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

                - Anonymous

              • Ruzena Hlozik
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 4 2:01 PM

                   Cervenec is July, in July is v cervenci, the days in July are 1.cervence, 2. cervence ( prvniho cervence, druheho cervence....). Hope this helps!

                  Rose

                  barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@...> wrote:

                  > cerven is june
                  > cervenec is july
                  > comes from cerveny (red)
                  > cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?

                  yes, "cervce" could be wrong typed word "cervence" which is a grammatical thing, and means IN JULY; if it was meant to be IN JUNE that would be "cervna" (from "cerven")

                  Marek

                  Marek Schimara
                  NOV s.r.o.  http://www.nov.sk

                  mailto: <marek.schimara@...>         ICQ: 10658030
                                                          tel: +421 903 778 328
                          <marek.schimara@...>
                          <marecek@...>

                     If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

                                                                     - Anonymous

                  Do You Yahoo!?

                • moraw_gerik
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 4 8:11 PM
                    Since we are on month translation, I will add my question. On
                    my gggrandmother's grave, it says "Cer". I know it is either June or
                    July, but which? I am just curious. (I know, I know...verify this
                    more.....you don't have to tell me.....twice) ;-)

                    Heather
                  • John L. Mikeska
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 4 8:21 PM
                      Heather,

                      With all the activity on CZ spelling of June and July, plus what I found excellent replies, I bet you hesitated about posting this message, huh?   Well, we might all be surprised at what answer will be received.  I have found the replies very informative and interesting.

                      Sir John

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 5 8:36 AM
                        On 5 Feb 2002 15:55:38 -0000, you wrote:

                        >Since we are on month translation, I will add my question. On
                        >my gggrandmother's grave, it says "Cer". I know it is either June or
                        >July, but which? I am just curious. (I know, I know...verify this
                        >more.....you don't have to tell me.....twice) ;-)
                        >
                        >Heather

                        Hi Heather,

                        It's going to be difficult to figure this out, but here are some tips.

                        As stated previously,
                        cerven is June
                        cervenec is July

                        There is only two letters difference between the two words, so if you
                        can read the first six letters, you still don't know the answer.
                        You might be able to measure the space occupied by the letters "cer"
                        with a ruler and then see if there is enough space for either 3 more
                        or 5 more letters before the "year" numbers. Does that make sense?

                        Most Czech tombstones would probably be written something like:
                        (Example)

                        "Zemrela 12 Cer______ 1895"

                        If the letters "Cer" take up 3 inches and the space between the "r"
                        and 1895 is 6 inches then there are probably 5 more letters plus a
                        space and the answer would be Cervenec. Correct Czech it would more
                        than likely be "Cervence"(July). And if the space is only 4 inches it
                        would probably be "Cervna"(June).

                        You might also try a pencil rubbing of the area on the tombstone. It
                        might help in reading it.

                        Looking at the inscription from a sharp angle might allow shadows to
                        come into play and allow you to read it easier than looking at it
                        "head on".

                        Of course, the "Cer" might be an abbreviation, and I know nothing
                        about Czech abbreviations.

                        Good luck and let us know how you come out.
                        Cheers,
                        Joe
                        http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe