Need Czech month translation

  • rebellous_99
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 1946
      What does Cervce translate to, June or July?

      Matt
    • John L. Mikeska
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 1946
        Rebellous,

        My Czech calendar shows June as Cerven and July as Cervenec.  Both Czech dates have the hazak (?) "v" over the first 'C' of each month.

        Sir John

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 1946
          Thanks Sir John.

          Matt
          The obit King

          --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "John L. Mikeska" <jlmikeska@y...> wrote:
          > Rebellous,
          >
          > My Czech calendar shows June as Cerven and July as Cervenec. Both
          Czech dates have the hazak (?) "v" over the first 'C' of each month.

          > Sir John

          Service.
        • Richard Garza
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 1946
            Matt,
            JUNE
            Rick Garza
            Sharing. It's what it's all about!
            http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

            .

            On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 05:08:40 -0000 "rebellous_99" <lennonluv@...>
            writes:
            > What does Cervce translate to, June or July?
            >
            > Matt
            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
          • barbi grl
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 1946
              cerven is june
              cervenec is july
              comes from cerveny (red)
              cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?

              --- rebellous_99 <lennonluv@...> wrote:
              > What does Cervce translate to, June or July?
              >
              > Matt

              http://auctions.yahoo.com
            • Richard Garza
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 1946
                It is indeed, Leigh. Just like the man's name "Jan" becomes "Jana"
                depending on how it's used.

                On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:43:26 -0800 (PST) barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@...>
                writes:
                > cerven is june
                > cervenec is july
                > comes from cerveny (red)
                > cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?
                >
                > --- rebellous_99 <lennonluv@...> wrote:
                > > What does Cervce translate to, June or July?
                > >
                > > Matt

                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
              • Marek Schimara
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 1946
                  barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@...> wrote:

                  > cerven is june
                  > cervenec is july
                  > comes from cerveny (red)
                  > cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?

                  yes, "cervce" could be wrong typed word "cervence" which is a grammatical thing, and means IN JULY; if it was meant to be IN JUNE that would be "cervna" (from "cerven")

                  Marek

                  Marek Schimara
                  NOV s.r.o. http://www.nov.sk

                  mailto: <marek.schimara@...> ICQ: 10658030
                  tel: +421 903 778 328
                  <marek.schimara@...>
                  <marecek@...>

                  If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

                  - Anonymous

                • Ruzena Hlozik
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 1946

                     Cervenec is July, in July is v cervenci, the days in July are 1.cervence, 2. cervence ( prvniho cervence, druheho cervence....). Hope this helps!

                    Rose

                    barbi grl <barbi_grl_1@...> wrote:

                    > cerven is june
                    > cervenec is july
                    > comes from cerveny (red)
                    > cervce...might be a grammatical thing...?

                    yes, "cervce" could be wrong typed word "cervence" which is a grammatical thing, and means IN JULY; if it was meant to be IN JUNE that would be "cervna" (from "cerven")

                    Marek

                    Marek Schimara
                    NOV s.r.o.  http://www.nov.sk

                    mailto: <marek.schimara@...>         ICQ: 10658030
                                                            tel: +421 903 778 328
                            <marek.schimara@...>
                            <marecek@...>

                       If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

                                                                       - Anonymous

                    Do You Yahoo!?

                  • moraw_gerik
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 1946
                      Since we are on month translation, I will add my question. On
                      my gggrandmother's grave, it says "Cer". I know it is either June or
                      July, but which? I am just curious. (I know, I know...verify this
                      more.....you don't have to tell me.....twice) ;-)

                      Heather
                    • John L. Mikeska
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 4, 1946
                        Heather,

                        With all the activity on CZ spelling of June and July, plus what I found excellent replies, I bet you hesitated about posting this message, huh?   Well, we might all be surprised at what answer will be received.  I have found the replies very informative and interesting.

                        Sir John

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 5, 1946
                          On 5 Feb 2002 15:55:38 -0000, you wrote:

                          >Since we are on month translation, I will add my question. On
                          >my gggrandmother's grave, it says "Cer". I know it is either June or
                          >July, but which? I am just curious. (I know, I know...verify this
                          >more.....you don't have to tell me.....twice) ;-)
                          >
                          >Heather

                          Hi Heather,

                          It's going to be difficult to figure this out, but here are some tips.

                          As stated previously,
                          cerven is June
                          cervenec is July

                          There is only two letters difference between the two words, so if you
                          can read the first six letters, you still don't know the answer.
                          You might be able to measure the space occupied by the letters "cer"
                          with a ruler and then see if there is enough space for either 3 more
                          or 5 more letters before the "year" numbers. Does that make sense?

                          Most Czech tombstones would probably be written something like:
                          (Example)

                          "Zemrela 12 Cer______ 1895"

                          If the letters "Cer" take up 3 inches and the space between the "r"
                          and 1895 is 6 inches then there are probably 5 more letters plus a
                          space and the answer would be Cervenec. Correct Czech it would more
                          than likely be "Cervence"(July). And if the space is only 4 inches it
                          would probably be "Cervna"(June).

                          You might also try a pencil rubbing of the area on the tombstone. It
                          might help in reading it.

                          Looking at the inscription from a sharp angle might allow shadows to
                          come into play and allow you to read it easier than looking at it
                          "head on".

                          Of course, the "Cer" might be an abbreviation, and I know nothing
                          about Czech abbreviations.

                          Good luck and let us know how you come out.
                          Cheers,
                          Joe
                          http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe