Sharing your family heritage

  • prgil@wf.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      I'd like to share a project that one branch of my family did this
      past year. We have annual family reunions of my Musil/Slovacek side
      with the accompanying visiting & eating. Last year my aunt Gladys
      proposed compiling a "family heritage cookbook" and I volunteered to
      be the one to put it together. We hoped to get at least 1 or 2
      recipes from each of the families - over a period of 2-3 months, I
      received over 350 recipes from my relatives! The cookbook wound up
      covering over 200 pages, and one of my cousins designed the cover.

      Many of the recipes are truly family heirlooms: kolaches, prune
      dumplings, bread, strudel, cakes, preparing sausage, etc. All of the
      old recipes were sent along with stories of our ancestors which were
      included in the book.

      What I feel made this book special was not only the memories that
      were shared but Aunt Gladys submitted a dedication (16 pages typed!)
      in the form of excerpts of almost 20 years of letters from my
      grandmother Adyna Slovacek Musil to her that went into exquisite
      detail of her daily life, who came to visit on a particular day and
      what food was served at meals. I never knew these letters existed
      until I began working on this project. Not only did my aunt keep
      every single letter from her mother, but when my grandmother died,
      she discovered that every letter she sent to my grandmother was kept
      in a box. (I'm trying to get Aunt Gladys to let me transcribe the
      letters.)

      The cookbook project took a lot of time, since I also did the
      arranging of recipes and printing, but it was truly a labor of love.
      Someday when my typing fingers are recovered, I hope to compile a
      similar cookbook for the other side of my family (Darilek/Cuba).

      At the very least, shadow your mothers, aunts, grandmothers when they
      cook and try to write down how they prepare your favorite foods.
      You'll never regret it.