Re: [TexasCzechs] Cz Fruit Dumplings

  • epereira@swbell.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      Sounds good and the little ladies in my Czech class say when the Italian prune plums come in (sometimes right before Sept.) to use them since they make the BEST...Lois

      Richard Garza wrote:

      Listers,

      Lois P has been looking for a similar recipe. Thought I'd share with the
      list.
      Rick Garza

      ________________
      RECIPE FOR STEVE'S FAVORITE MEAL - CZECH FRUIT DUMPLINGS
      comes from: http://homepage.interaccess.com/~eco/backdump.html

      Prepare Dough

      4 ounces cottage cheese
      1/2 Teaspoon of salt
      1/2 Tablespoon butter or margerine
      1 and 3/4 cups of flour
      Cream together the butter, cottage chese & salt. Stir in the flour and
      mix until dough leaves sides and is not sticky.
      (It will be grainy/lumpy. That's okay!) Cover with a damp cloth and let
      sit for 1/2 hour.
      Make Dumplings with Filling

      Roll the dough out on lightly floured board until it is about 1/4" thick.

      Cut out circles of dough big enough to cover fruit filling, and form
      dough around filling. Be sure they're sealed well.
      Fruits to use (per dumpling): Fresh plum halves, small apricots, three
      cherries, etc.
      (Pit and wash fruit first.)
      Cook the Dumplings

      Drop dumplings into boiling,salted water. Cook 8 - 12 minutes. (You can
      test
      one, make sure dough is evenly cooked all the way through.)
      Serve the Dumplings

      Serve dumplings on warmed plates, smother with melted butter, sugar, and
      cottage cheese.

      -------

      Warning!

      These are addictive. Keep the telephone number of your cardiologist
      handy!

      Click here for Free Video!!
      http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

    • Mapetras5@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
        The best gift my Gan-gan ever gave me was showing me how to make Apple
        Strudel making a paper thin dough and Sauerkraut soup. Yum Yum, I hope she
        is reading this from above. Thanks. Oh and how to crochet when I was 5
        that's how I learned to count. LOL Still an avid thread crochet addict.

        Thanks for the recipe, I'll Share if you like or need.
        Kathie in TX
      • danbea@cvtv.net

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
            I too have many crochet items that my mother and grandmother made and I now am
            the recipient of. At one time they really didn't mean a lot too me, but now
            they are very special. Tableclothes and doilies of several sizes and shapes.
            Some are of thin thread and others are more like yarn. Some are white or pink
            while others are mixtures of orange, brown, and green. One special item is a
            sweater that my grandmother made for my oldest daughter (26 now) when she was
            born.

            My mother-in-law made "grannie" square afghans for all 13 of her grandchildren
            for christmas one year. What a special treat. Even though she has been gone
            now for 15 years, my kids still use their "special" afghans. It really meant a
            lot to them. I can crochet a little, and I know what a lot of work and love
            went into those squares.

            Another of my husband's aunts made quilt tops (and often completed them as
            quilts) for her nieces and nephews. We were fortunate enough to receive one
            that she did for the Texas Sesquecentennial??? and won a first prize for it. I
            have also made "1" quilt and know how much work is involved in that. I do take
            pride in the fact, though, that my 2 daughters (26 and 22) both have been
            interested in quilting. For a senior research project, Danna, my oldest, made
            a baby blanket size quilt to demonstrate homemaking skills and to show the
            merits of a stay at home mom. That was special to me because she is very
            bright and has a good education, but really would just as soon stay at home and
            be a wife and mother someday. The younger one also has made several small
            quilts and likes to do all the piecing by hand.

            I really think that so many of the customs have been lost in recent years
            because of the rat race world we live in. How many of the listers can say that
            they make quilts for all their nieces and nephews or afghans for their
            grandchildren. I know that I for one can't admit to that. We really have a
            lot of heritage to live up to.