Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Shooting the Anvil

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
      The Bar--B-Que Mikeskas' are in the family tree beginning with Jiri Mikeska about 1630, as most of the Mikeskas I've found are, plus I am, too.  I believe those Mikeskas were second cousins about 1875 an I can't quite see that far over the Family Tree trunk to find exactly where we are related today <G>.  I have their fathers, etc., in the Mikeska tree chart given me by my 3rd cousin in Prague, who is well into genealogy and has written some books on his works, but in Czech, unfortunately for me.

      Sir John

      Sir John
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
        John,
             How interesting!  We have enjoyed their bar-b-q here around Houston and surrounding area for a lot of years.  The name is not usual and caught my eye.  We don't have any Mikeska's in our tree - Pustejovsky - but I am still searching for Fabrygel.  Well onward with that search and more...  By the way, if you ever come across any Czech sites in Czech my husband knows of a web page that can translate some of them to English.  If you do not know of it let me know and I can get that address for you.

        karen

        wrote:
        > We did it!
        >
        > For the first time in over 40 years, my family "shot the anvil."
        >
        > Susan

        My dad and Uncle John were not as creative or work as hard! They just
        hung sticks of dynamite from a mesquite limb and set it off. Ennis
        was about 4 miles away and windows shook there!!
        Merry Christmas!
        Frank

      • george patrick
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
          Susan,

          I'm not sure if this is related to "shooting the anvil" or not, but, my dad and his 3 brothers were helping their father clear stumps on some new land he was clearing in Bell County.  Seems there was a couple of sticks of dynamite left over.  The boys decided to see what a stick of exploding dynamite would do to the outhouse.  They never said how high it went.

          I always took this story with a grain of salt because they were usually partaking of a bit of pivo when they started telling stories.

          George