Re: [TexasCzechs] St. Nicholas

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
      Rick Garza wrote:   <  As noted below, keep in mind that Svaty Mikulaš, the Devil and the Angel would visit the children the children in the evening on December 5. Traditionally, celebration of most holidays begins the eve/night before the actual feast.>

      Since we have a start of a thread,  I have to add the following that pertains to the Feast of Saint Nicholas in present day Prague:

      "Each year on the 6th of December Czechs celebrate his goodwill by dressing up in white robes as Saint Nikulas, carrying a long rope and a long white beard and wander around the streets followed by the mischievous devil. The anxious children who have been waiting in anticipation of the day are subjected to mock interrogation as to their behaviour over the past year and inevitably are found completely in line, much to the disappointment of the devil. In reward they receive plenty of sweets from the saintly bearer of gifts who are in fact the ‘saintly’ parents of Prague."

      I wonder what happened to the Angel?  For certainly, if there is still a devil, there is staill an angel.

      Susan

    • barbi grl
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2001
        the angels are still here! and there are big chocolate
        angels and devils (like we have chocolate bunnies at
        easter) :-)

        --- Susan Rektorik Henley <srektorik@...>
        wrote:
        > Rick Garza wrote: < As noted below, keep in mind
        > that Svaty Mikulas, the Devil and the Angel would
        > visit the children the children in the evening on
        > December 5. Traditionally, celebration of most
        > holidays begins the eve/night before the actual
        > feast.>
        >
        > Since we have a start of a thread, I have to add
        > the following that pertains to the Feast of Saint
        > Nicholas in present day Prague:
        >
        > "Each year on the 6th of December Czechs celebrate
        > his goodwill by dressing up in white robes as Saint
        > Nikulas, carrying a long rope and a long white beard
        > and wander around the streets followed by the
        > mischievous devil. The anxious children who have
        > been waiting in anticipation of the day are
        > subjected to mock interrogation as to their
        > behaviour over the past year and inevitably are
        > found completely in line, much to the disappointment
        > of the devil. In reward they receive plenty of
        > sweets from the saintly bearer of gifts who are in
        > fact the 'saintly' parents of Prague."
        >
        > I wonder what happened to the Angel? For certainly,
        > if there is still a devil, there is staill an angel.
        >
        > Susan

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Paula Foster
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
          Does finding a 4 1/2 month beagle puppy nose stuck in one count?  paulasmaggie
        • Buster Mitchell
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
            Does finding a 4 1/2 hour old puppy poop stuck in one count?

            buster

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
              I take the puppy Buster.  paula foster