St. Nicholas

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
      Season's Greetings to All,

      Remember the Feast of Saint Nicholas is December 6th; and the Eve is when those shoes were set out in the hopes that they would be filled with fruit, nuts, and chocolate.

      I have been rummaging around the Web looking for information on Saint Nicholas and the Czech Christmas traditions for some months now.  The new Cesky Hlas should be out in the next week or so and it contains Czech Christmas recipes as well as accounts of Christmas customs and traditions.

      Since the Cesky Hlas went to print, I have found a little more information of St. Nick and Santa Claus.  I am including a couple of links here that provide a "broad view" of Saint Nicholas and Santa Claus.  Please remember, I share this stuff for information only.  I do not intend to promote any particular religion or view when I share the URLS. (See URLS after this message)

      What I do maintain is that each of us has the capacity and the ability to be warm, loving, caring individuals who through acts of kindness, friendship, and good stewardship can put the best of  humanity and a good and true heart into the Christmas Season (and the rest of the year).  So, as we have fun this holiday season, let us all remember that we are family and that each of us has the ability to share and promote the good and loving way of life.

      Roční Povdraveni a Štastne Svátsky! (I hope I got that right!)

      Susan

      Orthodox Accounts of Saint Nicholas:

      All About Santa Claus:

    • Richard Garza
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
        Dear Readers,
                As noted below, keep in mind that Svaty Mikulaš, the Devil and the Angel would visit the children the children in the evening on December 5. Traditionally, celebration of most holidays begins the eve/night before the actual feast.
                Christmas Day was reserved for the family and St. Stephen's Day (Dec 26) is the day to visit friends and distribute non-family gifts. And be sure to cook some Czech food for your Sylvestr (sp?) celebration (New Year's Eve/St. Silvester's Day). Mmmm!
        Rick Garza
        Sharing. It's what it's all about!
        http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

        .

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
          Rick Garza wrote:   <  As noted below, keep in mind that Svaty Mikulaš, the Devil and the Angel would visit the children the children in the evening on December 5. Traditionally, celebration of most holidays begins the eve/night before the actual feast.>

          Since we have a start of a thread,  I have to add the following that pertains to the Feast of Saint Nicholas in present day Prague:

          "Each year on the 6th of December Czechs celebrate his goodwill by dressing up in white robes as Saint Nikulas, carrying a long rope and a long white beard and wander around the streets followed by the mischievous devil. The anxious children who have been waiting in anticipation of the day are subjected to mock interrogation as to their behaviour over the past year and inevitably are found completely in line, much to the disappointment of the devil. In reward they receive plenty of sweets from the saintly bearer of gifts who are in fact the ‘saintly’ parents of Prague."

          I wonder what happened to the Angel?  For certainly, if there is still a devil, there is staill an angel.

          Susan

        • barbi grl
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2001
            the angels are still here! and there are big chocolate
            angels and devils (like we have chocolate bunnies at
            easter) :-)

            wrote:
            > Rick Garza wrote: < As noted below, keep in mind
            > that Svaty Mikulas, the Devil and the Angel would
            > visit the children the children in the evening on
            > December 5. Traditionally, celebration of most
            > holidays begins the eve/night before the actual
            > feast.>
            >
            > Since we have a start of a thread, I have to add
            > the following that pertains to the Feast of Saint
            > Nicholas in present day Prague:
            >
            > "Each year on the 6th of December Czechs celebrate
            > his goodwill by dressing up in white robes as Saint
            > Nikulas, carrying a long rope and a long white beard
            > and wander around the streets followed by the
            > mischievous devil. The anxious children who have
            > been waiting in anticipation of the day are
            > subjected to mock interrogation as to their
            > behaviour over the past year and inevitably are
            > found completely in line, much to the disappointment
            > of the devil. In reward they receive plenty of
            > sweets from the saintly bearer of gifts who are in
            > fact the 'saintly' parents of Prague."
            >
            > I wonder what happened to the Angel? For certainly,
            > if there is still a devil, there is staill an angel.
            >
            > Susan

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • Paula Foster
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
              Does finding a 4 1/2 month beagle puppy nose stuck in one count?  paulasmaggie
            • Buster Mitchell
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
                Does finding a 4 1/2 hour old puppy poop stuck in one count?

                buster

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
                  I take the puppy Buster.  paula foster