70120Re: Czech map/atlas

  • vmichna
    May 9, 2013
      I appreciate the link. I want to preface that I have played around with some of these maps before. However, sometimes I wish that I could browse an actual paper map/atlas so I can get a better idea about the local area as well as the region. Is there anyway to obtain local maps that contain local details like those a municipality or tourist would use? Or find an atlas of a certain region in CR with all of those details?

      I do a lot of research over the internet, but sometimes I want to open a book, report, or map with a pen and paper and study at my own pace. I know this sounds terribly old-fashioned, but I know from experience that not everything that I am looking for can be found on the internet. Also, a paper copy is sometimes more useful than internet because I don't have to worry about the computer and can browse and investigate at my own leisure.

      Valorie Michna

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "carlgenlnrt" <carlgenlnrt@...> wrote:

      > Valorie,
      >
      > As said from the previous posts, The website: http://www.mapy.cz/ is a good atlas. When you zoom in you can see all the different house numbers. Also you can switch over to the historical maps under "Zmenit mapu" with the German town names.
      >
      > Have you seen this site? http://www.mza.cz/indikacniskici/
      > It is not an atlas, but gives you a survey map of 1833 with the land owners. Go to the box "Název katastru" and type in your town "Alt Biela", then click the magnifying glass. Zoom in and click the hand icon to move the map around.
      >
      > Carl
      >
      > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "vmichna" <vmichna@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am looking for good maps/atlas of Northern Moravia including Frenstat and Ostrava to the northern border with Poland. My family came from the village of Stara Bela (now a suberb of Ostrava) and Zabreh (a town half way between Ostrava and Opava).
      > >
      > > For example, I would love a local map of Stara Bela, so that I can look up the location of different houses that my family lived in. Online maps haven't done much for me and it is hard to get exactly what I want from them.
      > >
      > > Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > Valorie Michna

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic