68575Re: Citation of Matriky records

  • vmichna
    Feb 12, 2013
      I like the idea of citing the date that you accessed the database, although I have not done that because I have saved every image onto my hard drive for easier access. I also have accessed the records too many times to count, so I don't bother keeping up with dates. Instead I saved the web address in my master list description.

      This also keeps me from forgetting the web address on bad memory days. If the data were on a website in an index created from the original records, I would definately use the date that I accessed the data. But seeing that I use the original image and interpret it myself, I first cite the book from which it came from.

      Here are examples of typical citations for me. I follow the arthur, title, publication info, page format. The reason the second record is different is because they provided different publication info for that archive so I had to improvise.

      Rimskokatolicka fara Ostrava-Stara Bela, Marriage Record: Stara Bela, Moravia, Austria 1843-1886, (Inventory #1884), Page 113, Image 57.

      Farni urad Jindrichovice pod Smrkem, Birth Records: Jindrichovice pod Smrkem 1852-1861, (matriky.soalitomerice.cz/), Image 98/136.

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

      > Here is the best I can figure by myself. What do you think?
      > CITING MATRIKY SOURCES
      >
      > Source List Entry:
      > Czech Republic. North Moravia. "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov." Digital images. Regional Archives of Opava. Archivní Vade Mecum. http://www.matriky.archives.cz : February 2013
      >
      > First Reference Note:
      > Øímskokatolická fara Lichnov, o. Nový Jièín, N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," digital images, Czech Republic, North Moravia. Archivní Vade Mecum (http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 10 Feb 2013), image 19.
      >
      > OR
      >
      > The Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, district of Nový Jièín. "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," digital images, Czech Republic, North Moravia. Archivní Vade Mecum (http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 10 Feb 2013), image 19.
      >
      > Subsequent Reference Notes:
      > Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," image 19.
      >
      > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey y'all,
      > >
      > > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
      > >
      > > Kate

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic