      From: t j slansky <tjslansky@...>
      Subject: RE: [TexasCzechs] Fwd: Czechoslovakia
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, November 1, 2012, 9:29 PM

      The word for Moravia in German is Mahren with two (2) “..” above the “a”

      Silesia at the time in 1880 was a separate province which was part of Germany . After WWI the southern part became part of north-eastern Moravia and the northern part of Silesia became part of Poland .

      I found a number of records the persons list they came from Bohemia , Moravia , Austria and Czechoslovakia and some list Mahren. The problem is Czechoslovakia did not come about until after WW I in 1918.

      Today, many persons when you speak of the Czech Republic they will still refer it to the old name as Czechoslovakia, which became to separate country in  Jan., 1993.

      TJ

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic