55924Re: pickle recipe

  • jesenwei@mdanderson.org
    Mar 1, 2011
      These recipes came from my grandmother's recipe box. Some were handwritten (h), some typed (t). They aren't very detailed, but fun to read. You may recognize names from the Fayetteville area.

      Couser Pickles (t)

      Boil 1 gallon water; let cool. Add 1 cup vinegar, ¾ cup salt, 2 cloves garlic, dill, and grape leaves.

      Albina Klimek's Dill Pickles (h)

      1 quart water
      1 Tbsp. salt

      Wash and quarter cucumbers. In canning jar, put dill, clove garlic, (hot pepper if desired). Pack a layer of cucumbers and a few small onions. Repeat and cover with brine. Screw top on tight.

      Dill Pickles (t)

      Wash cucumbers. Put dill in jar and fill with cucumbers. Boil 4 cups water, 1 cup vinegar and ½ cup salt. Fill jars with hot brine and seal.

      Variations: Add 1 clove garlic or 1 hot pepper, or both per quart.

      Dill Pickles (Kvašaky) (h)

      For 1 quart: Dill, garlic, onions, grape fruit or leaves optional. Fill jars with cucumbers. Mix 2 Tbsp. salt, 1 tsp. vinegar with water. Fill jar and let stand 4 days, then refrigerate.

      Lad Vitek's Dill Pickles (Kvašaky) (h)

      For 1 quart: Dill, garlic, onions, grape fruit or leaves. Fill jars with cucumbers. Mix 2 Tbsp. salt with water and pour over cucumbers. Let stand 10 days in dark place, then refrigerate.

      Dill Pickles (Okurky s Koprem)

      Grape leaves
      4 quarts water
      1 cup vinegar
      ¾ cup canning salt
      Dill
      garlic buttons (3/4 per quart)
      small red peppers (1-2 per gallon
      ¼ tsp. alum per quart

      Boil water, vinegar and salt. Cool. Place dill, grape leaves, garlic and red peppers in sterile jars. Pack washed cucumbers over spices. Pour cooled vinegar mixture over cucumbers. Add alum. Seal with hot caps and store in cool place for 6 weeks.

      Kvašene (kvašení=fermentation) (h)

      ½ cup vinegar per gallon of stuffed pickles
      4 Tbsp. salt
      Garlic
      Red pepper

      Lorene's Kvašene (h)

      "To a gallon of pickles, boil together ¼ cup vinegar, ¼ cup salt, ¼ cup sugar, dill and garlic (hot peppers if desired). Pour over cucumbers."

      Pickles (t)

      4 cups water
      2 cups vinegar
      ½ cup `ice cream' salt

      Put dill, clove of garlic and hot pepper in jar. Pack in pickles. Make brine and bring to full boil. Pour over to cover pickles.

      Mary Elizabeth Kucera's Pickles (c)

      Prepare a salt water brine of 9 cups water and 1 cup salt. Stir until salt is dissolved. Use 2 cups of this salt-water brine and 1 cup vinegar. Bring to a boil and pour over pickles which have been washed and packed into sterilized fruit jars. Add dill and 1 clove of garlic on the top of the pickles. Seal jars and store in cool place for about 3-4 weeks.

      Sour Pickles (h) (in Grandma Piwetz' handwriting, via Lillian Piwetz Krenek)

      Wash cucumbers, cut off stem ends. Put dill, pepper, and garlic in bottom of jars. Fill with cucumbers.

      Make brine:
      4 cups water
      1 cup vinegar
      ¼ cup salt

      Boil only until full boil. Pour into jars; hot seal.

      My Own Sweet Pickle Recipe (h)

      Cut up large cucumbers as desired. Make brine:
      1 cup sugar
      1 cup water
      1 cup vinegar
      1 tsp. celery seed
      1 tsp. mustard seed
      1 tsp. tumeric

      Cook all together. When boiling, put in cucumbers. Cook 10-15 minutes.

      Sweet Pickles (t)

      Wash, cut off ends of small pickles. Bring to full boil:
      2 cups water
      1 cup vinegar
      1 cup sugar
      Dill
      1 Tbsp. salt

      Put pickles into hot brine until pickles turn color or start to boil. Seal hot.

      Ten-Day Sweet Pickles (h)

      Wash and place 8 pounds cucumbers in crock. Combine 1 gallon boiling water and 1 cup salt, and pour over cucumbers. Let stand 3 days, then pour off water . Make a new mixture of 1 gallon boiled water and 2 Tbsp. alum, and pour over cucumbers. Let stand 3 days. [not clear if second mixture should be poured off.] Prepare brine mixture of 6 cups sugar, 5 cups vinegar, 2 Tbsp. cloves, a small stick of cinnamon and 1 Tbsp. celery seed. Boil brine mixture and pour over cucumbers. For the next 3 days, reheat this [brine only?] each morning and add 1 cup sugar each morning. On the 4th morning, heat the brine. Drop pickles in 1 quart at a time until hot, and pack hot into jars. Fill jars with brine and seal.

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Peggy Harmon <peggyharmon@...> wrote:

      > I would like any czech recipe.  The older the better.  Peggy

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic