      From: Mike <mike.hejl@...>
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] Re: Murder of Joe Stefka's wife and child, 1905
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, May 3, 2010, 9:57 PM

      I found a record of the 5 Jan 1903 marriage of Josef (Joe) Stefka from Shiner, Texas and Frantiska Dusek from Elgin, Texas, which was a little over two years before Frantiska's murder.  Performing the marriage was Rev. Jindrich (Henry) Juren, a Czech Evangelical Reformed (Brethren) minister serving the Shiner Brethren congregation in it's early years.  The license had been issued 24 Dec 1902 in Hallettsville, Texas.  The couple were married at the home of Fr. Stefka, Shiner, Texas.  The witnesses were Jos. A. Dusek, Fr. D. Dusek, and Fr. Stefka.  All of this information was found in Rev. Juren's register records as compiled by my father Edmond H. Hejl and published in 1992.  There is no indication in these records that Rev Juren ever baptized the murdered 15-month-old son of Josef Stefka and Frantiska Dusek or that Rev. Juren officiated at a funeral service for the slain mother and her son.

      The Czech Brethren congregation in Shiner was organized in 1891 and the congregation built a church in 1905 on the Tom Hurta land.  I suspect that the Czech Brethren in Shiner had their own preferred burial grounds early on and that's where Frantiska and her slain child are likely buried.  Before the church was built in 1905, Brethren services were sometimes conducted in public schools or "a Shiner Lutheran Church," so it's possible some early Czech Brethren settlers were buried in a Shiner Lutheran cemetery.  It's also possible that a Lutheran minister officiated at a funeral service for the slain mother and her son because Rev. Juren would have likely had to travel from Fayetteville and may have had other commitments.

      The Frantiska Dusek who was slain in 1905 near Shiner may have been the granddaughter of Cenek (Vincenc) Dusek (1815-1858) and Terezie Chaloupka (1811-1858) of Cermna, Bohemia (my GGG grandparents) .  Cenek and Terezie Dusek had eight children, five of whom immigrated to Texas.  One of the three children who did not immigrate was the last-born Jan Dusek, who was probably born about 1855.  This Jan Dusek may have been the father of the slain Frantiska Dusek Stefka, who obviously did immigrate.  You said that the parents of Frantiska Dusek Stefka were Jan B. Dusek and Rosalie Motl.

      Curiously, Josef Dusek (1849-1919), one of the eight Dusek children who immigrated to Texas, also married a Rosalie Motl (1849-1898) in Cermna in 1869.  This couple immigrated to Texas in 1872, eventually settling in the Bila Hora community.  Josef Dusek and Rosalie Motl Dusek also had a daughter named Frantiska (1876-1899), but she married Frank Hurta.  This Frantiska Dusek died in 1899 at age 23, apparently during or shortly after giving birth to a son, Adolph Hurta.

      Hope some of this will help you locate the graves you are seeking.

      Mike Hejl

      Hejl-Silar  Dusek-Kotrla  Blaha-Kotrla  Hejtmancik-Batla

      --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "kickingbird4" <sissonltd@.. .> wrote:

      > Sadly the grave is unmarked with nothing but mounded dirt surrounded by rocks. I know that is of no help. Grandma used to make the trek and leave lots of flowers.
      > --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, Matt Cross lennonluv@ wrote:
      > >

      > > It would seem more likely that they were buried somewhere in Lavaca County.
      > >
      > > Matt Cross
      > > lennonluv@
      > > "Madness is the first sign of dandruff." -- John Lennon
      > >
      > > To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      > > From: pfosterbmt@
      > > Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 11:51:51 -0700
      > > Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Murder of Joe Stefka's wife and child, 1905
      > >

      > > I do not know if this helps, but I went through one of our Dusek Family Descendant List. I found a majority were buried at Bila Hora Cemetery Lavaca County and a few at 6 mile Cemetery Calhoun. These are old cemeteries, it might be a place to start. paulasmaggie

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic