      Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 9:30 AM
      Subject: RE: [TexasCzechs] Murder of Joe Stefka's wife and child, 1905

      I'm still combing the issues for March 1905. The issues for the first two weeks of March were not in the collection online, but I found something in the following week's issue.

      Matt Cross
      lennonluv@hotmail. com

      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      From: nangotoo@san. rr.com
      Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 03:44:45 -0700

      Wow, the newspapers in those days didn't hold anything back--the more gruesome, the better. I guess that the people had to get their "entertainment" from somewhere. I'm sure this case provided gossip for a long time.  Is there anything about the outcome of the case in later weeks or months?  Yuck!

      Shiner Gazette, 22 Feb 1905, page 1

      The wife and babe of Joe Stefka were Shot and Killed at Their Home Near Town.

      Last Wednesday evening about 3 o’clock, Joe Stefka, who lives about four miles south of town, came in and reported that his wife, and fifteen months old baby boy, had been shot to death in their home. Deputy sheriff Burkett, Squire Tampke, Dr. J. D. Gray and eeveral [sic] other at once repaired to the scene.

      On entering the door the first object seen was the 15 months old baby, with its glassy eyes turned up and a fearful wound in its abdomen, from which the intestines protruded. A few feet away lay the body of its mother, with both breasts nearly shot away and partly burned and charred as, her dress had been set on fire by the powder. The same shots that tore away the woman’s breasts also killed the baby, which she had evidently been holding on her arm when the murderous assault was committed.