445Re: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Jun 11, 2000
      Gilbert, I too would enjoy discussing the subjects which you listed.  I would especially like hearing the family stories of others.

      I am mostly a "book-learned", fairly recent, Tex Czech culturist/historian.  I will share what I know; however, there are some folks on the CHS list who have been involved with the history of the Texas Czechs and the CHS for a long time and have far more extensive knowledge than I do.  I wish we could get them to share with us.  This is a request, please!

      I also strongly recommend two books as starting points for learning about the driving forces behind the Czech migration to Texas.

      "Krasna Amerika:  A Study of the Texas Czechs, 1851--1939"; by  Clinton Machann and James W. Mendl;Eakin Press, Austin, Texas; 1983.

      [As the title states, this is a study of the Texas Czechs.  Chapter Titles include:  Emigration from Europe and Early History in Texas, Movement and Growth, Social Structure, Religion, Folk Culture, Czech Language, Journalism, and Literature, and Czech Identity and Assimilation.]

      "Czech Voices, Stories from Texas in the Amerikan Narodni Kalendar:  translated and edited by Clinton Machann and James W. Mendl Jr.";  Texas A & M University Press, College Station, Texas;  1991.

      [This book contains ten, first person accounts of early Czech immigrants to Texas.  The accounts start in the 1850's.  The articles were first printed in the the Midwestern Czech-language journal "Amerikan narodni Kalendar."  According to the dust jacket themes include "hardships of the immigrants, religious conflicts, the American Civil War, farming practices, and attitudes toward the land."  I also found a lot of the subjects which you are interested in.

      Do others of you know of other books?  Let us know.

      I'm more than willing to start a point by point discussion of your topics of interest.  In case someone else wants to lead off, I'll sit back for a little while.

      Susan Rektorik Henley