      Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 12:19 PM
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

      Susan your stories never bore. You also give the authors name which I like. It makes a
      difference to me when I read something to know if the author actually lived the story or
      is just relating something he has heard. I wish more people would write stories.
      This weekend a cousin died very young, 24, and it just makes one stop and think how short life is. My elderly aunt (oh is she saw this she would hit me with her rosary beads) is coming in for her visit and I can't wait. I wrote her a letter last week that I want her to
      sit with me and talk about the family. I also want her to write down stories of the family and things her parents told her. She was born here but she is the one who took care of
      my grandparents in their later years. She is a nun but she arranged a leave from the convent and ended up teaching in Sealy so she could live with her parents and look out for them. I know she sat and talked with them so I think this will be a fruitful visit.
      If she comes through for me I will post them. My grandparents were not early settlers. They came in 1914 and settled at Live Oak Hill, Fayette County, Tx.

      Lois Petter Pereira

      Susan Rektorik Henley wrote:

      <Each day when I return home from the office, I can't wait to get to the email and see what's there.> Gerri, I was glad to hear that you are still interested in the list! Richard, now that you are back, perhaps, we can figure out a little more closely what people want to read.  I know we can cover a wide variety of topics and cover a broad span of interests; however, when I am almost the only one sending mail...my stories...one begins to wonder what folks really want to hear. For instance, Rick Garza and I held a extended discussion on the settlement patterns of the Texas Czechs (including the role of pro- and anti-sesession counties), and the importance of the blackland prairies (including a second migration).  At the time we were doing this, I thought, "Boy, would l like to hear other views and information on this.  I'd like to share it with the list"  However, since there has been so little traffic, the discussion stayed between Richard and myself. Another thing which I did think about, should this type of discussion go to the list, is ensuring that proper credit to the sources used to support the positions. Authors always are due and deserve recognition. Anyway...in the end, I figured this discussion would just send people off yawning. It would help to know what people are interested in.  I really don't wish to torture or at least bore folks. Susan Rektorik Henley