      From: pfoster
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:18 AM
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Cotton picking!

      Gilbert, Thank You for adding the drinking water. I did not think of it. It is a interesting tidbit. I always wonder how the mechanics of cotton pickin worked. In otherwords what happed when it arrived at the cotton gin and how the farmer was paid. In otherwords it was based on the quality not just the bale pounds. If this is correct, yes I agree there were many unhappy farmers if their cotton was not of the higher grade. To me growing-up with Czech/Moravian Grandparents I did developed what I call pride in what you are doing, no matter if it is pickin cotton or cleaning a house. That was one of the core values my quiet Czech Poppa taught me. What is sad about this email are the Old Cotton Gins that were lost because of Moderation. That must have been hard on your father. paulasmaggie
    • Show all 31 messages in this topic