      Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:57 PM
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Emailing: Cotten Gin Caldwell Texas

      Thanks for sharing the photo of the cotton gin in Caldwell.    The joe Vykukal family
      operated  a gin forever   in caldwell,  out on highway 21,,   out on the spot where  the
       new  community center now  sits.   This sure looks like this one,,, although there was another one
      south of town,,, next to the rail road   and near John Polanskys  place of business..    John  and
      Marcella Mareks, Polanskys,,,  youngest daughter   Bernadette,   may know ,  being that  she was born
      and raised there in caldwell.       By choice, I am sure,,  both Gins  were located   a bit out of town,,
      because  the business district  sits on  quiet a hill,  that would take more than one pair of  mules to pull a wagon load of cotton   up there if   gins were  located there,  and  coming down the same hill  would also be a chore   with wagon and mules.         The   Joe Vykukals   lived  way, south of town,   and I often
      wondered why  did Joe build  the Gin where it was ,  North of town,, mabe ten miles from where they lived.  I bet he Probably bought   it as it was ,  and where  it was.   The Joe Frank and Annie agnes, Hudec,  Vykukal  family  and their dozen children,,  were Pioneer  settlers   in Burleson co.    Aunt Annie Hudec, Vykukal  was a sister to my grandmother  Mary Hudec, Marek,  the two girls  had  five brothers   had one adopted sister, Helen,,  from the orphan train  out of New York,,, Most, if not all,   Were born   in a Log cabin  in Burleson co.

      The story goes,  as I heard it from my cousin,  Milton Mynor,,,  that when the gin building was being taken
      down   to build the community center  there in Caldwell,,,    the wrecking crew found a stash of money ,   they
      attributed to  the  Owner,  Mr Joe,   everybody knowing Mr Joes habits and ways of doing things.     No real
      evidance of such a find was ever   shown....    ..Such a large family touched many other familys  lives   in the past hundred years.

      Bernard

      On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:20 AM, pfoster <pfosterbmt@...> wrote:

      I am forwarding a picture that was sent to me since we have been talking cotten picken.  paulasmaggie
      Cotten Gin Caldwell Texas