      From: pfoster
      Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 5:38 AM
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Cotton Picking

      Gilbert, How did they harvest corn?  Growing-up I can remember Poppa bringing in a burlap sack of corn from the Brazos Bottom and shucking it.  Now, refresh my memory when after harvesting the corn what was left was given to the livestock?  paulasmaggie
      From: s_tb <s_tb@...>
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] Re: Cotton Picking
      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 12:39 PM

      "Dora Smith" <tiggernut24@ ...> wrote:

      > Were they picking cotton on their own farm, or someone else's? You
      > pretty much think of cotton as a plantation crop.

      Hi Dora,
      in Faytette county, where my mother's parents (Ryza) farmed, cotton
      was an important cash crop for the family farm, and for their tenant
      farmers.

      I found this article in the Weimar Mercury archives
      for July 23, 1948:

      "La Grange Gins First Bale of 1948 Cotton"

      "Grower of the first bale was a tenant farmer, Alfred Kubecka of the
      La Grange-Plum community. Grown on a Colorado river bottom farm owned
      by Joe Kovar, the bale weighed 548 pounds, and was purchased by Ehlers
      Cotton company for the premium price of 40 cents per pound."

      "The previous earliest bale was in 1943 when Joe F Ryza of near La
      Grange ginned the first bale on July 22."

      What's interesting to note about this is that the average price per
      pound paid farmers in 2008 has dropped from a high of 62 cents in
      April 2008 to 59 cents in August 2008, according to the National
      Cotton Council of America. This is just 50 percent more than
      cotton sold for in 1948 - sixty years ago!

      Gasoline would be selling for 22 cents/gallon today if
      petroleum products were priced equivalent to cotton.