      Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:37 PM
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Cotton Picking

      In Fayette county cotton was never a plantation crop.  All the farms there were small with very few larger than 200/300 acres with most around 100 acres.  In addition to planting cotton, almost all farmers had corn, maize, hay and pasture land.  This gave them an opportunity to raise and supply feed for cattle, chickens, some sheep, and horses.  They needed all of these to provide food and income for the family.  As Julie mentioned some also grew sugar cane that would be cut down, stripped and sent to the person who made home-made molasses.

      A land owner who did not want to farm or could not farm his land made an agreement with someone to plant the cotton, care for it, and pick it.  The landowner provided the seed and land for planting.  The tenant was given a share of the sold cotton and so was the land owner.  In some cases the tenant just paid the land owner a price per acre.  In both cases the cotton was planted for cash.
      When cotton season was over, we converted the gin to a feed mill.  Farmers would bring various products like corn tops, hay, corn, etc and grind it up and use it as feed for the livestock.  We also would take shelled corn and make corn meal for that good ole corn bread.

      Maybe some body would like to talk about how they harvested the corn---that' s also an interesting story.

      Gilbert