36021Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: svrcek index-Valek entries

  • Nangotoo
    Oct 4, 2007
      Anything about the RECEK family?  That would be in the Fayette Co area or maybe even some in the Shiner area.
      Nan

      --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@.. .> wrote:

      > Here ya go!
      >
      > > there are these entries (the numbers are page numbers):
      > > >
      > > > Valek: 22
      > > > Valek, Joe A.: 67
      > > > Valek, John: 24, 67
      > > > Valek, Joseph: 63, 68
      > > >
      > pg. 22 (Cameron entry): "Some Czech-Catholics came in 1887. Roman
      > Parma was still living at the time this page of history was
      written.
      > He says of himself, ". . . I moved to Cameron in 1887. . . Later
      more
      > families arrived from other parts of the state and also from
      Europe.
      > Families like: Motocha, Stoklas, Valek, Mondrik and as the number
      of
      > Czech-Catholics increased a Czech priest visited here occassionally
      > [sic]. Such as Father Joseph Pelnar, Father Pridal and Karel Kacer.
      > First baptism on the books of the parish are twins born to the
      > Mondrik family from Marak. They were baptized Amalia and Teresie on
      > November 24, 1884 by father J. Lauth, the first appointed pastor
      for
      > this parish."
      >
      > Pg. 24 (Cistern entry): "Even before 1881 some Czech families
      settled
      > here: -- Antonin Ferdinand, Frank and John Psencik, Mathew and
      Joseph
      > Ziegelbauer, Frantisek Holub, John Machacek. Sr., John Machacek
      Jr.,
      > Frank Hanzelka, Adolph Kreml, Vincent and Joseph Maresh, Antonin
      > Hybner and John Valek."
      >
      > Pg. 63 (Ennis entry): "The first Czech came here from Europe, as
      far
      > as the records do show, was John Jacob (Jakub) Sebesta from
      Netolice
      > Ceske Budejovice in the year of 1873. At that time Ennis was a mere
      > village with some stores. Round and about town was a wild prairie,
      > covered with tall grasses. Here and there perhaps some thick
      forests.
      > There were no roads nor any fences. Two years later, 1875,few
      > families came from England and France. Also the families of
      > Bartholomew Lanicky from Zdanice near Brno, who had lived 3 years
      in
      > Bryan and then moved here. The following year two more families
      > arrived. This handful of settlers gave the nucleus to a new parish.
      > They bought an old house and remodelled it into a smal [sic]
      church.
      > Father Tion came from Corsicana every second Sunday and said Holy
      > Mass for the people. One of the English families donated two acres
      of
      > land for a cemetery. In the coming years the country showed fast
      > growth, some Czech families came from Gainsville, Cook County, and
      > again others came from Europe—among these were the families of John
      > Patril, John Vrla, John Vrana, John Dlabay, Joseph Haba, Frank
      > Drajca, Joseph Valek, Joseph Novosad, Joseph Vitovsky, John Vlk,
      John
      > Mach, John Langer, and Frank Patak. Most of these have passed away
      > by this time."
      >
      > Pg. 67 (Ennis entry): "History records of the parish show that in
      the
      > beginning of the century – the Czech Catholics came to a very
      > important decision – to separate themselves from the other
      > nationalities of the parish and organize a Czech parish of their
      > own. Thus they also organized their own school. This also gave
      rise
      > to the resolution to unite themselves into societies of their own.
      > Thus in the year of 1900 on the 15th of August, the St. Joseph's
      > K.J.T. #35 was organized. Its original members were John Patak,
      John
      > Slovacek, Joseph Vitovsky, Joseph Vrana, Joseph Slovacek, John
      Luza,
      > Joseph Jaresh, John Krajca. The first elected officers were:
      Francis
      > Mikula, president; John Valek, sick committee.
      >
      > Pg. 67 (Ennis entry): "In 1935 the K.J.T. Society celebrated its
      35th
      > Jubilee of existence. . . . At the time of the writing of these
      lines
      > the officers are; Father Vincent Micola, Chaplain; I. J. Parma,
      > president; Frank. K. Spaniel, vice president; Joseph Odlozil,
      > secretary; Joe A. Valek, accountant; J. B. Kulhanek, treasurer;
      John
      > Lanicek, representative, . . . "
      >
      > Pg. 68 (Ennis entry, subhead History of S. Peter & Paul Society #83
      > (Prvni Ustredni Jednota) The First Central Union): "In the annals
      of
      > St. John Nepomucenus parish of Ennis, we read that in 1883, a
      society
      > of Ss. Peter and Paul was organized. Our countrymen arriving here
      > without any knowledge of the language of the country- difficulty in
      > communication with others-for that purpose they had organized into
      > group-tightly knitted together for their social and religious
      > benefits. They formed this society to be able better to communicate
      > with each other and other branches of the society, in other parts
      of
      > this their new country. Thus, the St. John Nepomucenus society was
      > the first one herabouts. The founders of this society were - John
      > Sebesta, Frank Patak, John Plasek, Joseph Valek and Bartholomew
      > Lanicek. At this time all of these good men are resting there in
      that
      > consecrated ground - our cemetery. . . At present there are 28
      > members living, Father Francis Kowalski, chaplain; Alois Kuchar,
      > president; Richard Kriska, vice-president; Joseph R. Slovak,
      > secretary; Stanislav Kriska, financial-secretary ; Ferdinand
      Petrash,
      > treasurer and representative. "

      I have to be honest - I slept through most of my History classes. I
      have learned more history through doing genealogy than I ever learned
      in school. Just don't ask me to take a test!

      Thank you for the information AND for making an index for such an
      interesting piece of history. I am sure MANY researchers appreciate
      it.

      Michelle

      .

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic