36009Re: svrcek index-Valek entries
- Oct 4, 2007Here ya go!
> there are these entries (the numbers are page numbers):pg. 22 (Cameron entry): "Some Czech-Catholics came in 1887. Roman
> > Valek: 22
> > Valek, Joe A.: 67
> > Valek, John: 24, 67
> > Valek, Joseph: 63, 68
Parma was still living at the time this page of history was written.
He says of himself, ". . . I moved to Cameron in 1887. . . Later more
families arrived from other parts of the state and also from Europe.
Families like: Motocha, Stoklas, Valek, Mondrik and as the number of
Czech-Catholics increased a Czech priest visited here occassionally
[sic]. Such as Father Joseph Pelnar, Father Pridal and Karel Kacer.
First baptism on the books of the parish are twins born to the
Mondrik family from Marak. They were baptized Amalia and Teresie on
November 24, 1884 by father J. Lauth, the first appointed pastor for
Pg. 24 (Cistern entry): "Even before 1881 some Czech families settled
here: -- Antonin Ferdinand, Frank and John Psencik, Mathew and Joseph
Ziegelbauer, Frantisek Holub, John Machacek. Sr., John Machacek Jr.,
Frank Hanzelka, Adolph Kreml, Vincent and Joseph Maresh, Antonin
Hybner and John Valek."
Pg. 63 (Ennis entry): "The first Czech came here from Europe, as far
as the records do show, was John Jacob (Jakub) Sebesta from Netolice
Ceske Budejovice in the year of 1873. At that time Ennis was a mere
village with some stores. Round and about town was a wild prairie,
covered with tall grasses. Here and there perhaps some thick forests.
There were no roads nor any fences. Two years later, 1875,few
families came from England and France. Also the families of
Bartholomew Lanicky from Zdanice near Brno, who had lived 3 years in
Bryan and then moved here. The following year two more families
arrived. This handful of settlers gave the nucleus to a new parish.
They bought an old house and remodelled it into a smal [sic] church.
Father Tion came from Corsicana every second Sunday and said Holy
Mass for the people. One of the English families donated two acres of
land for a cemetery. In the coming years the country showed fast
growth, some Czech families came from Gainsville, Cook County, and
again others came from Europeamong these were the families of John
Patril, John Vrla, John Vrana, John Dlabay, Joseph Haba, Frank
Drajca, Joseph Valek, Joseph Novosad, Joseph Vitovsky, John Vlk, John
Mach, John Langer, and Frank Patak. Most of these have passed away
by this time."
Pg. 67 (Ennis entry): "History records of the parish show that in the
beginning of the century the Czech Catholics came to a very
important decision to separate themselves from the other
nationalities of the parish and organize a Czech parish of their
own. Thus they also organized their own school. This also gave rise
to the resolution to unite themselves into societies of their own.
Thus in the year of 1900 on the 15th of August, the St. Joseph's
K.J.T. #35 was organized. Its original members were John Patak, John
Slovacek, Joseph Vitovsky, Joseph Vrana, Joseph Slovacek, John Luza,
Joseph Jaresh, John Krajca. The first elected officers were: Francis
Mikula, president; John Valek, sick committee.
Pg. 67 (Ennis entry): "In 1935 the K.J.T. Society celebrated its 35th
Jubilee of existence. . . . At the time of the writing of these lines
the officers are; Father Vincent Micola, Chaplain; I. J. Parma,
president; Frank. K. Spaniel, vice president; Joseph Odlozil,
secretary; Joe A. Valek, accountant; J. B. Kulhanek, treasurer; John
Lanicek, representative, . . . "
Pg. 68 (Ennis entry, subhead History of S. Peter & Paul Society #83
(Prvni Ustredni Jednota) The First Central Union): "In the annals of
St. John Nepomucenus parish of Ennis, we read that in 1883, a society
of Ss. Peter and Paul was organized. Our countrymen arriving here
without any knowledge of the language of the country- difficulty in
communication with others-for that purpose they had organized into a
group-tightly knitted together for their social and religious
benefits. They formed this society to be able better to communicate
with each other and other branches of the society, in other parts of
this their new country. Thus, the St. John Nepomucenus society was
the first one herabouts. The founders of this society were - John
Sebesta, Frank Patak, John Plasek, Joseph Valek and Bartholomew
Lanicek. At this time all of these good men are resting there in that
consecrated ground - our cemetery. . . At present there are 28
members living, Father Francis Kowalski, chaplain; Alois Kuchar,
president; Richard Kriska, vice-president; Joseph R. Slovak,
secretary; Stanislav Kriska, financial-secretary; Ferdinand Petrash,
treasurer and representative."
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>