33974Re: [TexasCzechs] Publishing a book on family

  • John L. Mikeska
    Apr 2, 2007
      Gerri,

      While a member of the Austin, TX computer club  12 - 15 yrs ago, and attending the genealogy SIG (Special Interest Group) monthly, a gentleman held an hours class for members interested in printing books of their family history.  He has several books printed himself.  I recall his suggestions were to search and find printing company to use, then get their suggestions of using best type, spacing, line length, suggestions on Index, photos (recall best to use black and white high resolution photos.  Using photos you scan to pages come out extremely poor when printed).

      Printing cost varies with the size of book, naturally number of pages, more photos cost escalates.  Getting a hard bound leather covered book with gold trim, etc. is expensive.  "Book Shock", he called it.  <G>  And he suggested cost be revealed to perspective buyers, and suggested money be collected then.  Not unusual for people to decide not to buy the book later and you will be held responsible by contract with the printer for number of books requested to be printed.  Me, I've never had a book printed.  <G> But, good luck to you.

      Sir John

      Gerri Martisek <gerri@...> wrote:
      Does anyone have any good ideas on how to publish a family book?

      Naturally, it has to be wonderful and inexpensive.

      Just kidding.

      I am particularly interested in the formatting to use to get all the
      people in.

      Thanks,
      Gerri

      Sir John, Earl of Berkshire