33620On behalf of Bernard Gaas

  • Pat Lyon
    Feb 28 8:33 PM
      My cousin Bernard was having trouble posting this and asked me to, so here
      it is. Nice memories.

      Hi Lollie,
      Nice story Lottie, about your favorite teacher there in West Columbia, Hi.
      Back in those days, , I lived near Bay City,, where they had the annual Rice
      Festival. The best part was the hour long parade which always included
      Hi School bands, and I always liked to watch Band director Albert
      Kubena and his West Columbia Hi School band in the parade.. Yes, I saw you
      guys there many times. Albert was such a fine looking band leader and
      the band looked and performed splendidly.. I knew Al Kubena
      because we lived in the community of
      Frenstat , Which was near Dime Box. Alberts beautiful wife, Dorothy
      Pivonka, also comes from Hi Prairie, which was a stones throw from
      Frenstat.. I feel certain that I was an altar boy at their wedding.
      Anyway, I used to think Dorothy and her sister ,
      Gerldine, were the prettiest girls there were.!! Must remind you here,,
      that Albert Kubenas wife, Dorothy was the Kolach Queen at the Kolach baking
      Festival in Caldwell, several times. Some of you surely remember that
      Albert and Dorothy retired to The
      Deanville or Dime Box area, where Albert died while still a young man..

      My recollections of Dime Box are when the Catholic Church there was a
      mission to Frenstat's Holy Rosary Parish. Father Matl from the Frenstat
      Parish, ministered to both parishes and the muddy roads sometimes were
      almost impassable, especially on the 1934 model Plymouth coupe that Father
      Matl drove, so Mr. Clement Sobotik always drove him in his 1930 Model A
      Ford when
      the weather made the roads almost impassable.. The mud roads were no
      problem for this Ford!

      Dime Box was largely, a Breathern community, in the beginning, from the
      size of their cemeteries, Although, the catholic church there has had
      their own pastor for lots of years. Happy

      Bernard Gaas

      bernard.gaas@...

      3:24 PM
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic