      From: paulasmaggie <pfosterbmt@...>
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:47:45 AM
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] Re: Hranice pictures

      --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike" <mike.hejl@. ..> wrote:

      Mike, Hi, Pat and I are cousins. She has been helping research the
      Blaha/Valigurias Families. My gr Aunt Annie (Kortes) married Louis
      Blaha and My gr Uncel Joe married Hattie Blaha and finally Albina
      Blaha married Joe Becvar my grandpappa first cousin. There are more
      connections, but I donot have the space to put them. My grgr Uncle
      was Pavel Valigura. If it is not to late I too would like to
      request some pictures. If possible there are 3. The Blaha family
      on page 126,John Valigura Families page 130, and 131. If you have
      an extra of the saloon that would be nice. Thank-you very much. It
      is a sweet generous offer and undertaking.
      Respectfully, pfoster

      > Sir John -
      >
      > Thanks for the compliment but no need to cancel any standing
      requests
      > directed to Pat. I will settle for fond rememberances of many
      childhood
      > visits to my Blaha grandparent' s farm close to New Dime Box where
      I got
      > treated to Grandma's home-made bread, which I spread with churned
      butter
      > or with Grandma's favorite concoction of sweet cream, sugar, and
      > cinnamon. By the way: Hranice, Old Dime Box, and New Dime Box
      are all
      > in Lee County. Hranice is only about three miles (by road) north
      of New
      > Dime Box. About all that's left of the Hranice Community are the
      two
      > cemeteries. My Blaha and Hejtmancik great-grandparents, my Blaha
      > grandparents, and many of their descendants are buried in the
      Hranice
      > Community Cemetery. Albert J. Blaha and his wife Edna are buried
      there.

      > In the morning, I will be going over to my mother's home. While
      there,
      > I will borrow her Blaha Family Photo Album so I can begin scanning
      > pictures for you and Pat. I'm pretty sure that the 1914 Balcar
      Saloon
      > photo is in her album. If it's not, I will have to disassemble the
      > bound draft copy of the Hranice book to get-at the photo. Not to
      worry,
      > the disassembly is needed so I can eventually use it's pages to
      > freshen-up the book being sold by the CHS.
      >
      > The Balcar Saloon photo is a real doozie. I suspect the photo was
      made
      > on the day that the Balcar Saloon first opened in New Dime Box in
      1914.
      > Looking closely at the photo, it appears that the three younger
      men are
      > holding rather large goblets (footed drinking glasses). My mother
      > remembers these type of goblets being used in the 1920s. Two of
      the
      > men's goblets appear to be empty or nearly empty, but the goblet
      of the
      > man closest to the camera is about a third filled with a dark
      liquid
      > that appears to have a head of foam, so it's either beer,
      champaign, or
      > (don't make me laugh) root beer. The Saloon Proprietor, Vinc
      Balcar II,
      > is pictured holding a smaller goblet that he is about to fill from
      what
      > appears to be a wine or champaign bottle. It could very well be a
      > champaign bottle because the bottle appears to have shiny foil
      around
      > it's blob top and they might have been celebrating the
      Saloon's "Grand
      > Opening."
      >
      > I remember visiting Balcar's/Riske' s Dry Goods Store and it's
      adjoining
      > Saloon in "Downtown" New Dime Box when I was a kid. The store and
      > saloon was housed in a large, two-story red brick building with
      living
      > quarters on the 2nd floor. As far as I know, the building is still
      > there. The ornate bar looks mighty familiar and it would have
      impressed
      > me at that age. I do remember the brass spitoons. My mother has a
      > better recollection of the place from her childhood, but at age 93
      even
      > her long-term memory is failing her. I wonder what happened to
      that
      > fancy bar???
      >
      > Sir John, your idea about me burning my scans of the Hranice
      photos onto
      > a CD for the CHS Library is a good one. I will plan to do that.
      I live
      > in Fort Worth but have been attending State CHS Meetings lately.
      > Perhaps I will get to meet both you and Pat at the April meeting in
      > Caldwell.
      >
      > I will e-mail each of you my scans of the photos you are especially
      > interested in. Give me a few days as I am a known procrastinator.
      >
      > Mike Hejl
      >

      > --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "John L. Mikeska" <jlmikeska@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Pat,
      > >
      > > You talk about luck! ! ! ! ! What a gentleman Mike is. I'm am
      removing
      > my request for the end slices of your home made bread, including
      the
      > churned butter, and let Mike have them.
      > >
      > > I'm Working with Pat Lyon on Balcar/Mikeska connectons and have
      many
      > entries in the Hranice, Lee County, and Dime Box, Burleson Co and
      do
      > have a copy of 'photocopy' of kin or two. I may be calling on you
      later,
      > Mike. Of great interest is the Saloon photo at Dime Box, showing
      Frank
      > Balcar behind the counter, with several in front, all having a
      bottle
      > <G>. Frank was a distant cousin.
      > >
      > > I'd almost offer to bring my laptop and scanner and help you, if
      get
      > swamped with requests for photos. Not sue where you are but Worth
      > several hundred miles driving! Mike, you are out of this world
      offering
      > to do the photos. Sure wold be nice if photos put on CD and
      available
      > for copying at the CHS Library in Houston.
      > >
      > > Sir John
      > >
      > > Mike mike.hejl@ wrote:
      > > Pat -
      > >
      > > I have an early draft copy of the Hranice book authored by my
      uncle,
      > Albert J. Blaha. Almost all the pictures in this draft are on
      > high-quality glossy photo paper, including the 1896 and 1897
      Hranice
      > School pictures. Also, I am fairly certain that my mother (Albert's
      > sister) has these particular pictures in her Blaha Family Photo
      Album,
      > so it would be fairly easy for me to scan the pictures and send
      them to
      > you as jpg files. I hope that you have high-speed internet service
      > because the files will be fairly large.
      > >
      > > My grandfather, William Blaha (1887-1962), is the third person
      from
      > the right on the front row of the 1896 Hranice School picture, so
      he was
      > very likely a classmate of Clara and Mary Svach. I have not been
      able to
      > spot my Grandpa Blaha in the 1897 picture, meaning that he had
      already
      > dropped-out of school. He would never admit to my mother how much
      > schooling he completed, but assured her that he had had "a good
      > education." Unlike his father, he could read and write both Czech
      and
      > English.
      > >
      > > I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures in the Hranice
      book
      > being sold by the State CHS. Sounds like it's time for me to
      provide
      > them with better-quality photos for their master file. This would
      > require quite a bit of effort so I am not promising how soon that
      will
      > happen. In the meantime, anyone who had an ancestor that settled
      in the
      > Hranice Community can ask me to scan and send them a jpg file of a
      > picture in the Hranice book. Just send me an e-mail with your wish
      list.
      > Be specific as to which pictures you are interested in and be
      willing to
      > wait. Please do not request all of them. My e-mail address is:
      > mike.hejl@
      > >
      > > Mike Hejl
      > >

      > > --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Pat Lyon" patsroar@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I recently acquired a copy of AJ Blaha's "Hranice: A Moravian
      > Settlement on
      > > > the Yegua". In it are some pictures of classes from the Hranice
      > School. I
      > > > believe the pictures from 1896 and 1897 contain my grandmother
      Clara
      > Svach
      > > > and her sister, Mary, however, the quality is very poor from
      many
      > > > photocopies. I wonder who might have the original picture, or
      an
      > earlier
      > > > version of the book with a better copy of the picture? I'd be
      happy
      > to pay
      > > > for them since I want a clear picture and would treasure an
      early
      > picture of
      > > > my grandmother and her sister.

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...