31584Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Meeting in Gonzales

  • Nangotoo
    Aug 4 11:15 PM
      I found out the hard way years ago because much of my mom's paternal family live in and around Yoakum and in both DeWitt and Lavaca counties.  Its confusing to figure out what house/farm they lived in is located in which county and what county the cemeteries are located, not to mention taxes paid, birth certificates, which county clerk to write to, etc.  Its been a real challenge because they lived in several places in and around Yoakum and my g-grandfather bought land in both counties.  You would have laughed if you could have seen my mom, my husband, Gordon, and I doing research in both of those courthouses trying to keep up with it all.  Not only that, but dealing with the newspaper archives and things like that.  My g-grandfather also worked for the railroad there in both Cuero and Yoakum--they just didn't realize what a mess it would be for their researching descendants for them to live in Yoakum!!  LOL!            Nan

      Thanks for the tips.  I didn't know that Yoakum was in both counties.

      Good information.

      Thanks,
      Debra

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic